SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: TMNP launches My Activity Permit
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:11 pm 
Guru
Guru

Table Mountain National Park Launches revamped activity card

Table Mountain National Park (TMNP) today unveiled its revamped activity permit which allows year long, unlimited entry for the permitted activity in the Park. The My Activity Permit – produced in association with Hi-Tec - sports a new look and feel which is perfectly suited to the outdoors. The permit is available to the general public.

The cost of the card is determined by the impact the activity has on the park and ranges from R135 for a dog-walking permit to R 280 for a horse riding and line fishing permit.

“We recognised that when Table Mountain was declared a national park, users that were able to actively enjoy the park would fear being restricted because the focus was now on conserving our unique natural heritage. However, the park embraced the obligation to recreational use by zoning the park according to ecologically significant areas and designating areas for certain recreational activities. Furthermore, park management engaged with recreational users to develop codes of conduct that would reduce the conflict between users and mitigate impact on the environment. For example, in some areas dog walking may be separated from cycling, while in other areas dogs are not allowed at all, as in the Cape Point Section of the Park” says Park Manager, Paddy Gordon.

The My Activity Permit incorporates all of these management objectives. We therefore invite all users to obtain their relevant activity permit and thus acknowledge both the privilege and the responsibility of enjoying a recreational experience in this spectacular national park.

Ian Little, Hi-Tec Marketing Manager had this to say, “Hi-Tec has a long established relationship with SANParks and is delighted to partner with TMNP on the My Activity Permit. We are committed to supporting initiatives which allow the public the opportunity, to be active in the park hopefully in their Hi-Tec footwear and clothing!”

Cost of the My Activity Permit:

Level 1 dog-walking: R 135.00
Level 2 hang-/para-gliding, sport and rock climbing: R 210.00
Level 3 horse riding, mountain biking and line fishing: R 280.00

When purchasing TMNP’s My Activity Permit, 2 ID photographs are required.

Terms and Conditions:

1. The My Activity Permit is only valid when accessing the park for the purpose of the specified activity. Access into the park for leisure purposes only (for reasons other that performing the activity) require the relevant access cards or entrance fees where applicable.
2. Children are able to purchase a My Activity Permit on condition that the child’s legal guardian signs the application form on their behalf. The child’s ID number and photographs will appear on the permit card.
3. Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult when performing the activity.
4. My Activity Permit cards are not transferable.
5. Prices are subject to change without notice (prices will go up as per the annual standard increase on 1 November 2011)
6. Misuse of the My Activity Permit will result in confiscation.
7. Permit holders may undertake their permitted activity in designated areas as per the relevant EMP (Environmental Management Plan) all of which are available on the website (http://www.sanparks.org).
8. Levels 1,2 and 3 are not included in the National Wild Card or My Green Card and must be purchased separately.
9. 2 ID photographs are required and will be visible on the permit to allow easy identification at spot-checks.
10. The My Activity Permit is available to all visitors and users of Table Mountain National Park.
11. Permit holders may not undertake more than one activity at the same time.
12. My Activity Permits may not be used for commercial gain in terms of the activity undertaking.

For further information on TMNP’s My Activity Permit, please call +27 (0)21 701 8692, email tablemountain@sanparks.org or visit http://www.sanparks.org.

Post subject: Re: TMNP launches My Activity Permit
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:30 pm 

I have two questions regarding the Activity cards.

1) Does a level 4 activity card include a level 2 permit? I ask this because I regularly dive for crayfish and I regularly rock climb.

2) Why is one not allowed to do both activities at once?

3) What constitutes misuse?

Regards.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:13 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Not

Thanks for your query - please see the below:

1. Level 4 does not include level 2 as a level 4 permit for crayfishing is obtained separately and must be accompanied by the relevant MCM licence (obtainable from the South African Post Office).

2. One is not allowed to perform more than one activity at a time – e.g. walk your dog whilst horse riding, or walk your dog whilst mountain biking unless special permission is obtained (e.g. a blind horse rider needing a guide dog ). You may use your level 4 permit on one occassion and on a serparte occassion use your My Activity Permit for rock climbing.

3. Any behaviour that goes against the code of conduct (as below) that the permit holder signs when purchasing the permit constitutes misuse.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:18 pm 

SANParks:CapeCluster wrote:
2. One is not allowed to perform more than one activity at a time – e.g. walk your dog whilst horse riding, or walk your dog whilst mountain biking unless special permission is obtained (e.g. a blind horse rider needing a guide dog ). You may use your level 4 permit on one occassion and on a serparte occassion use your My Activity Permit for rock climbing.

Why? That doesn't make any sense to me. The impact on nature is exactly the same, if I go horse riding first and then walk my dog afterwards or if I exercise them both together - actually, if I think about it, the impact should even be a little lower if I exercise them both together, because I will be there only once not twice :wink:

And for safety reasons I feel much better, if I have my dog with me when I am horse riding alone (the same goes for mountain biking!) - there have been muggings of horse riders and mountain bikers in the TMNP!

Especially horses and dogs go very well together and most horsey people are dog people. too.

A well trained dog is equally under control by a horse rider, a mountain biker or a walker/jogger - a dog who isn't well-trained is a menace regardless if he/she is handled by a walker/jogger or rider or biker.

If the control of the dogs is your concern, sanparks could think about issuing activity permits for horse riders WITH dogs (=horse and dog at the time with one person) only to dogs who have their "canine good citizen" award for example.

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:35 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Joh

Unfortunately we cannot guarantee that all users of the park are able to control both activities simultaneously, without impacting negatively on the environment as well as other users of the park. If you purchase a permit for horse-riding or level 3(or 2) - you are also covered for level one (and 2). It is simply that you cannot perform both simultaneously.

This is so that we help all visitors to the park to have the best experience possible - and to ensure this, we have to put some controls in place.

I do hope you understand our reasoning behind this.
:)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:38 pm 

SANParks:CapeCluster wrote:
I do hope you understand our reasoning behind this.
:)

No, as mentioned above I do not understand the reasoning behind this. Somebody who is not able to control his dog while horse riding or biking is equally not able to control his dog while walking or jogging. I'm walking in the TMNP nearly every day and I never had an unpleasant encounter with a dog that was handled from horseback or a while biking, but I had some rather unpleasant dog-encounters with dogs handled by walkers and joggers.

And also as mentioned before there would be possibilities to only issue "horse/mountain bike PLUS dog" activity cards to people whose dogs proved to be under control - for example through the "canine good citizen" which is the "doggy behaviour test" from the South African Kennel Union - so it is kind of an official test.

Regarding doggy restrictions it would make much much more sense to constrain the number of dogs ONE person is allowed to handle - I just know a handful of people who are able to really control more then 3 dogs at the same time. Unfortunately, in some areas of the TMNP one meets people with 4 or even 7 or 9 dogs on a regular basis.

Also, please keep in mind: horse riding is only allowed in a very few spots in the TMNP - so horses and dogs together would only be present in this few spaces!

And what about the security reasons? There have been muggings of horse riders - and I can understand every rider who wants to take his dog along to protect himself and his horse. One should also keep in mind, that horse riders and dogs make the mountains safer for ALL the people walking there - just through there presence.

But thank you for your answer anyway.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:19 pm 

To whom it may concern

I am very disappointed in Sanparks/the Table Mountain Nationalpark.

Since October I am trying to buy a dog walking activity permit. I even think theses permits are a good idea and I would be happy to pay the money and get one.

The first problem: all places, where one can buy the activity cards are on the Southern Peninsula - that is not friendly at all for all the people who live at the Atlantic Seaboard (like me) or in the City Centre or even in the Northern Suburbs. It is quite a ride to get there and their office hours are a problem, too! I work - I cannot go there from Monday to Friday between normal working hours.

The sanparks website states:

"1. Where can I buy the TMNP Activity Permit?
- Shop A1, Westlake Square, Cnr Westlake Drive & Steenberg Road, Westlake (Mondays to Fridays from 08:00-16:00)
- Buffelsfontein Visitor Centre, Cape of Good Hope Section of TMNP (Mondays to Sundays from 08:00-16:00).
- Boulders, Kleintuin Road, Sea Forth, Simonstown (Mondays to Sundays from 08:00-17:00)
- Tokai Forest, Tokai Road, Tokai (Mondays to Fridays 08:00-16:00 closed between 13:00-14:00)" (retrieved TODAY!!!)

So I drove to Simonstown last Sunday (it took me 1.5 hours one way!) and what happened? I got told there that they DO NOT sell the dog walking permit! What the hack...?

Now I am really angry. Get your Website fixed! And find a way to sell the permit to people who have normal working days and do not live on the Southern Peninsula!

If you don't want the dog walkers to pay for the permit, then say so. Most people I know walk their dogs without the permit - no wonder! It seems to be impossible to buy one!

Where is the problem with applying for the permit online (I can apply online for the wildcard!)

I am not happy with Sanparks at all...

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:26 pm 

I also sent the text above via Email to Sanparks on the same day I posted it here - I didn't get any answer. Not here, not via Email!

Your Website is still WRONG!!! It still states that one can buy the permit at Boulders Visitor Centre! I still don't have a dog walking permit, because I have no idea how to get one. And no, I definitely don't do another 3 hour return trip just to find out that you don't sell them there any more!

I am very, very disappointed with Sanparks! And I am really angry how you treat your customers!

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:48 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Joh;

I am so sorry about this. I will forward your query to Table Mountain National Park immediately and will give you feedback if not tomorrow, latest would be Friday.

Again, apologies for this. :(

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:45 am 
Guru
Guru

Dear Joh

Apologies for the delay in response to you.

The My Green Card and My Activity Permit cards are available at Cape Town Tourism offices, 7 days a week. This information is on the TMNP website at http://www.sanparks.org/parks/table_mountain/tourism/access-cards-permits.php. This list includes sales points in Simons Town (Jubilee Square) and Cape Town city centre (Pinnacle Building).

We must apologise in that Boulders used to sell the cards but indeed does not anymore, hence the sale of the cards at the Simons Town Cape Town Tourism visitor centre in Jubilee Square - we will make this clearer on the website immediately.

We are also investigating options of making the cards available online and the use of "electronic" cards - this is however a work on progress, but one which we are treating as important as we realise access to the cards is a priority.

We hope the Cape Town Tourism offices make accessing the cards easier for you.
Kind regards

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:05 am 

Thank you very much for your answer.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:30 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Just a suggestion : you have such an excellent satelite office at Century City, why don't you make them available there as well ?