Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Entry into Bontebok
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:57 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I am a bit concerned :? when you enter the park there is no control as who come and go into the park, you can bypass the reception and go and have a game drive and I think even stay when one feels like it without paying. We did not get a "slip" of paper to say we paid or staying for a few days...no evidence other than my debit card's slip.
We see that there is a building going up on the other side of the park...might be new receiption building, will have to wait and see.

Kruger booked for 2015.

Post subject: Re: Entry into Bontebok
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:37 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear Omie

Please find attached response form Carli Venter, Park Manager at Bontebok National Park.

Regards

Bontebok

Dear Oumie,

Thank you for taking the time to enquire about the access control in Bontebok National Park. The park do indeed have an unmanned gate, meaning we rely on our visitors to stop at reception a few kilometers down the road. I ensure you that 99,9% of vehicles entering the park do actually stop at reception. We do find the odd one trying to slip in or claiming they did not see the reception building – our receptionists keep a keen lookout for those visitors and alert the Rangers if needed. If unspotted these visitors usually give themselves away by driving on roads not for tourist use, or getting a bit lost and confused. I can’t recall this happening more than 2 or 3 times a year.

I can assure you that there is no chance of anyone staying in the Park without paying. We do regular checks of the campsites, and our front office staff communicates with staff on the ground to do counts of numbers of vehicles, etc. During peak times our Field Rangers assist with even counting numbers of visitors per site – it occasionally happens that a visitor pays for 2 or 4 people, but there are actually 6 staying over.

I will follow up the issue around you not receiving a permit when entering the Park. We abide by standard SANParks procedures and you should have been issued with a printed gate permit indicating your date of arrival, departure as well as number of persons. If our computers are down, we issue a hand written permit.

And finally, on the new building – yes, it is our new reception building in progress. The long-term plan is to move the entrance of the Park to the western side of Swellendam, cutting out the current 6 km trip from the N2 into the Park. We have been experiencing some delays and we have some red tape to get through around the off-ramp from the N2, but we hope to have the plans back on track shortly.

Regards,

Carli Venter

Park Manager: Bontebok National Park

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:22 pm 

Funny, we were there on the past weekend and I mentioned the same entry thing to my hubby. We were also wondering what the new building was and I'm pleased to hear that it will be the new entry point.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thank you so much for your answer Carli Venter :thumbs_up: It seems that Bontebok is special also in this regard apart from all the paraise that we have heard lately from forum members who have visited!!!!! :clap: :clap: