Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Camera Trap on Table Mountain
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:00 pm 

Hi

I'm not sure whether I should post this or not, but I'll give it a shot because I think there might be people out there that might enjoy this kind of thing and it is related to Table Mountain...

I have recently started a blog about the pictures I capture using remote camera traps. Camera traps are basically cameras that are wheather proof and run from bateries. They can thus be left out doors for an extended period of time. The camera gets triggered to take a picture by sensing heat moving infront of it.

Ok, so, the blog (link below) is meant to contain images from accross South Africa, but since I currently stay in Cape Town it contains allot of images from Table Mountain. Infact most of the pictures are from a piece of the mountain slope between Kirstenbosch gardens and Newlands forest. (I'm assuming it qualifies as part of the greater Table Mountain National Park.)

The following link will only show blog entries from the Kirstenbosch area of Table Mountain (to help keep it relevant to this forum category).

remotecamera-sa.blogspot.com/search/label/kirstenbosch

Thanks and hope you enjoy it :pray:

Regards
Henry

Post subject: Re: Camera Trap on Table Mountain
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:21 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Very interesting footage! :dance: I would love having such a camera.

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:41 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Avatar of the Year (2012)
Really wonderful kooning, thanks for sharing. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:25 pm 

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it :)

The picture quality is not that great (because I can't afford the really fancy models :cry: lol)
But I think the photos are still decent enough :wink:
(If anybody was wondering, I had to import the cameras from overseas.)

I enjoy seeing what animals are still living on the mountain (slope) that you would almost never have seen otherwise (and learning in the process). I'm trying to work on my species list, but its hard at times :hmz:

At the moment it's very convenient for me to place the cameras in that area of Table Mountain, but I'm thinking of moving it to some new locations for Grysbok, Cape Fox and maybe otters. I also want to get more of the small stuff (mice, shrews, etc) because I enjoy them allot :tongue:

Maybe some people can suggest potential locations they think might be "safe" and have some animal activity? (Usually I just try to hide it out of sight and hope nobody steals one.)

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:19 pm 

I'm in the wrong location to give advice!

But why don't you contact with SANParks at TMNP and speak to one of the rangers there? They might suggest a few places, and it might help them as well!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Evening Kooning, Great job you done there.
I actually want to get one of the toys and do what you are doing in Table Mountain here close to the Alps. I have a second house in a small valley and wildlife has nearly been wiped out but seems we still have a few foxes and wanted to study them using a Moultrie Game Camera.

As Imberbe said, try contacting Sanparks and see what you can do with them. They could very well be interested in studying the small and nocturnal animals a little better. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:16 am 

You should really buy one RUMURUTI :thumbs_up: It's allot of fun and I'm often surprised with what I find. But it is hard work also. It takes time and a degree of luck to get decent pictures. For example it took me a long time to get my first porcupine picture, but as I learn and improve I find them more frequently.

At the moment I have contact with the people from Kirstenbosch (SANBI) and they are interested and keen to help. So that has been great.
I have actually contacted West Coast NP via email and they seemed interested, but I just don’t find the time to follow up on it (it is a bit far) :cry: TMNP is closer and it is easier to find time to go there.

At the moment I have my hands full with this section of Table Mountain, so I think I'll wait a bit before contacting the people from Sanparks for “more work” :wink: but thanks for the suggestions and support :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:48 pm 

Wow Kooning..this is fascinating. :clap:
Thanks for sharing this with us. I am amazed that there are so many sightings of caracal and porcupine !!!
Well done :thumbs_up:

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey Kooning----Its a really good plan this! :D The caracal are really stunning animals . Theres probably so much stuff all the way to Cape Point and so many more spots that would also work really well with similar cameras set up.With enough of them one could maybe even collate some data of a few years and take a guess how many rooikat for example there are up there.I think its more than one would guess. -----

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:49 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Kooning! You must be a very patient man; the animals are not at all collaborative :roll: Thank you for showing us and I forgot..... A warm welcome to the Forum :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:57 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi there Henry

Just found this post and really enjoyed looking at your awesome pics and video clips. We live in Hout Bay on the slopes of the mountain very close to Orangekloof so its interesting to see what wonderful animal life is practically in our back yard. Have only seen porcupine once on our plot but yesterday saw a whole bunch of uprooted Arum lilies in our drive so I know they are still around...
Keep up the fascinating pics please.
Cheers
Gill

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...