Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: WCNP - Abrahamskraal
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:31 am 

Well back home to a wet and windy Wales on Sunday after a brilliant 2 weeks in South Africa. Weather was a bit dodgy to start with to say the least - 60 kmh NW winds when we landed and then rain for 3 days (rather too much like being back home!).

Any way last few days of the trip were spent in and around WCNP - what a fantastic place - and no tourists :o

We stayed one night in Abrahamskraal and then moved on to the Farmhouse in Langebaan for a bit of luxury. Thought Abrahamskraal was superb, a really tranquil place to stay, would loved to have been able to stay another couple of nights really. One bird I didn't get a shot of was the Barn Owls nesting under the thatch above the bathroom. Saw them sitting on the solar panel and on top of the roof, very eeriw hearing their screeching call in the emptiness.

As expected didn't see much in the way of mammals while we were there but did have some great birds. Below are a few of the pictures I took while in the park and around Langebaan (thought folk might be interested in some of the shots from a boat trip out to Malgas Schappen Islands).

The now familiar view of Abrahamskraal from the car park to the waterhole - not quite as colourful as some other recent ones!

A tranquil morning at the waterhole. teeming with swallows and martins as well as the ubiquitous Red-knobbed Coot.

Had a party of 4 Whiskered Terns drop in for 5 minutes then headed off SE.

Loved the early morning light on this Speckled Mousebird.

Great seeing so many Black-shouldered Kites in the park (and elsewhere) - one of my favourite birds.

Kept flushing Cape Francolins whenever we left the house, finally managed to sneak a photo of one then found them feeding out of people's hands at Geelbek

Probably enough photos on this post, I'll do some more on another.

Peter

Last edited by ph87gb on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Recent visit to West Coast NP
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:12 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Wonderful bird pics Peter! Thanks for sharing and yes please, show us some more :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: WCNP - Abrahamskraal
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Gorgeous bird pics!

You should have posted everything together in Travel tales and lot more people would have had the pleasure of seeing your wonderful photographs. Afterall you can still do it.
All posts in one Travel tale :D

Post subject: Re: WCNP - Abrahamskraal
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:01 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Lovely Pictures Peter
We wish to visit and stay at Abrahamskraal this February ( I see there is still availabilty ) There are 4 Adults and 3 very small children . NOW the problem is that the cottage only sleeps 6 and there will be 7 of us.. I wonder whether if we bring a camp cot or Mattress for the littlest one whether we will be allowed the extra child. He is just turned two so will pay a child rate. The other children are 4 and 6

I will phone Sanparks tomorrow but has anyone been there and is there space for a camp cot. ?? It would just be for the weekend.