Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: West Coast National Park flower season is here!
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:47 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Tony. I do know that they're out there and occassionally seen in quite a few places on the West Coast. I'd be thrilled to see one anywhere and will just keep hoping that I get lucky one day :pray: I did have a split second glimpse (I think, since I doubt it could have been anything else) of one near the Churchaven turnoff, but I'm still hoping for a sighting that's just a bit longer! :wink:

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:07 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Tony T wrote:
Just to wet the appetite, there was a Caracal sighting (confirmed by a second visitor too) in Postberg on Sunday. I missed it by 5 minutes. (I was rewarded though an hour later. Would you believe, a sighting of a Caracal outside the park!!)

Thanks Tony
We are planning to visit WCNP in a little over a week :dance: :dance:

2007 TR

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:00 pm 

We visited Postberg last Sunday (2Aug). There are some flowers open but not many. Not yet.

I guess by this weekend or even next weekend more flowers will be pen.

There are more flowers in and around Langebaan. Olifantskop, opposite the mall is covered in white flowers.

Also have a look at http://www.bokkom.co.za/blog/flowers-2009/

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:39 pm 

Hi there,
I said I would keep you updated about the progress of the flowers.This picture was taken at the same spot as last weeks photo. The Bokbaai vygies are coming on but generaly it was'nt a good day. Not warm enough. I felt sorry for the visitors and there were lots. People were queing on the R27 from early this

Image[IMG]

But then my day was made!! I caught this Caracal basking in the late afternoon sun just around the corner from our shop at Tzaarsbank. Last weeks one I saw outside the park but this is my first one seen inside the park.

http://i31.tinypic.com/4uuc5h.jpg[/IMG]

[color=#008000]

Birthdays are good for you - the more you have, the longer you live!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:21 am 

Wow, lucky you seeing two caracals in the space of a week! :dance:

Thanks for the update on the flowers. Still holding thumbs there'll be some left for us to see in the first week of September. :pray:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:23 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WEST COAST FLOWER REPORT- 07/8/2009

MOORREESBURG
LOCATION OF FLOWERS: Neulfontein koppie, 2,4 km from Moorreesburg. On the N7 to Cape Town. 30 Min hike to the top.
any indigenous flowers and shrubs. The R311 from Moorreesburg to Hopefield – tar road.
TYPE OF FLOWERS:Geel en pienk Grootsuring, Geel Soetbobbejaantjie,bolboskool, Cape snowdrop, *Rooi Afrikaner ,Ganskos, Swarthaakdoring, Gifkool, Bloukappie, Geelgesiggie/Bobbejaangesiggie, Poublom of Sterretjie, Kleinbokkies, *Moederkappie, Baardmannetjie, Bastersuring, Geelkwassie, Varkblom, *Witkatstert/Bottle bush, /Beesblom, Slang-tamarak, *Persviooltjie, *Blou flappie/Uiltjie, Papieruintjie, *Renosteruintjie, Pronktulp/Giftulp , Suring, Bloubekkie/Fluweeltjie, Sandgeelgesiggie, Reënblommetjie, Suring, * Ewwatrewwa (Pienk), Slymstok/Kamiemie, Koringblommetjie, Blousysie, Silwerlewertjie, Magrietjie, Kleinkattekruie, Oranjekalossie/Geelkalossie, Witsysie, Bontrokaandblom, Breëblaaraster, Namakwa gifkool, Vlerkies, Baroe, Geelgesiggie, Windhond aandblom, Sambreeltjies, Suikerkannetjie/Bobbejaanbroek, Kleinbokkies, Blouraaptol, Wildetabak, Kleinwitnaeltjiesblom, Geelsuring, Rooisaadgras, Platdoring, Klitskruid, Jonkmansknoop, Volstruisuintjie, Tjienkeritjee, Blou Spinnekopblom, Raap, Raaptol/Wilderaap, Naeltjiesblom, Lobelia, Witdouvygie, Pienkblomvygie, Volstruisuintjie

YZERFONTEIN
LOCATION OF FLOWERS: Tourists can visit our three indigenious gardens In Yzerfontein. Several en-dangered species, that grow there, was identified by Kirstenbosch Horticulturists.
TYPE OF FLOWERS: Fynbos

MALMESBURY
LOCATION OF FLOWERS: Next to the N7 from Moorreesburg to Malmesbury, just before the Malmesbury offramp and around the town.
TYPE OF FLOWER: Canola, Aronskelkie, sierings, daisy's

DARLING
LOCATION OF FLOWERS: Darling Renosterveld Reserve (At top of village behind the Darling Primary School);Darling Groenekloof Reserve is looking especially good after the burn last summer. Visitors can look out for the new improved entrance gate on the R315 alongside the SPCA premises.
Tienie Versfeld Reserve (R315 Darling – Yzerfontein);
TYPE OF FLOWERS: What is currently flowering: Gladiolus carinatus, early Blue Flax,Drosera, Moraea, Lachenalia, pink froetang, yellow sterretjies(Spiloxene serrata) Lots of daisies and Arums. The white rain daisies in the Darling Groenekloof reserve are stunning on a sunny day.
FLOWER SHOWS: 18-20 September 2009 .Venue: Darling Sports Club
17 to 20 September 2009: 21 Annual Orchid Show Venue: Oudepost Farm

SALDANHA AREA

LOCATION OF FLOWERS: Road between Vredenburg and St Helena and also on the road from Vredenburg towards Hopefield. From Saldanha,Blou waterbaai as you come into Langebaan in Long Acres. Open fields in the whole area of Langebaan. In postberg all the flowers not yet in full bloom .
Langebaan Country Estate and the road behind Oliphantskap on your way to the R27.

HOPEFIELD: On the R234 road between Hopefield and Velddrif on the (Tarred Road). From Cloeteskraal to Langebaanweg Airforce Base for approximately12km (Gravel Road) On the R45 from Langebaanweg, pass Hopefield towards Malmesbury, and the turn off to Mooreesburg (Tarred Road) In the town, gardens are covered with flowers that gives a snow effect.
HOPEFIELD FYNBOS SHOW: 27-30 AUG 2009: SHOWGROUNDS

PATERNOSTER: On the road between Paternoster and Vredenburg also towards Tietiesbaai and Cape Columbine Nature reserve.

LANGEBAAN:The West Coast National Park : Postberg private nature reserve. On the road between Vredenburg and Saldanha beautiful varklelies.

ST.HELENA BAY: Two spreads of Namakwa Gousblomme.At Da Gama monument just after the untarred road, coming down from Paternoster and also on the Visser’s farm abutting Golden Mile/Britannia Bay. On Brittanica Heights a variety of bolplant are already showing themselves, with the last od Trachandra ciliata and suuring (oxalis) still to be seen.

Along the roads: There’s rain flowers and yellow suringe all over the fields and on the roads and white daisies.Between Saldanha and Vredenburg along the road ,varklelies.

SALDANHA:The SAS Nature Reserve there is also flowers and it is open for the public. Remember a gravel road will lead you to the reserve area. Hoedjieskoppie in town, the main road in Saldanha. When you pass the Protea Hotel the first road on your right.

JACOBSBAAI: On the R45 on your way to Vredenburg there is a turn off left to Jacobsbaai, along the beach.

VREDENBURG: Between Saldanha and Vredenburg on the R45. From Vredenburg towards Hopefield or Paternoster.

TYPE OF FLOWERS:

LANGEBAAN: POSTBERG: Bolblomme, bobbejaantjies, Viooltjies,
bloukappie, rotstert, varklelie, spinnekopblom,yellow syringe, Nealtjiesblom, lobelia,Vygies, Bloublekkie, rotsterte, vygie bosse, chinkerenchees, rooi kanools Blou Flaxues pietsnot are all out already. Chrysanthemoides monilifera - Bietou § Saliva lanceolata - rooi Salie Gladiolus caeruleus - - Spinnekopblom (starting) Cysticapnos versicarius - Klappertjie Dorotheanthus bellidiformis - Bokbaai Vygie Carpobrutus acinaciformis - Elandsvy Dimorphotheca pluvialis - Reenblommetjie Albuca flaccida - slang Tamarak , Hemimeris sabulosa, Rooikool, bobbejaankool, bloupypie,froetangs,
lewertjies. and kapokbossie.

PATERNOSTER: COLUMBINE NATURE RESERVE: Nemesia versicolor - bont Leeubekkie / Weeskindertjies § Limonium peregrinum - Strandroos § Pelargonium fulgidum - rooi Malva § Euphorbia burmannii - Steenbokbos § Cynanchum africanum - Bobbejaantou § Ballota africana - Kattekruid § Lampranthus vredenburgensis - Vredenburg kruip Vygie § Freesia viridis - groen Agretjie (on their way out) § Lebeckia spinescens - Blou Fluitjiesbos § Zygophyllum spinosum - Spekbos § Chlorophytum triflorum - Gifkool § Cotula turbinate - Ganskos § Thesium spinosum - steek Groenbasbossie § Zygophyllum morgsana - Slaaibos § Chrysanthemoides monilifera - Bietou § Saliva lanceolata - rooi Salie § Gladiolus caeruleus - Saldanha Pypie § Ferraria crispa - Spinnekopblom (starting) § Cysticapnos versicarius - Klappertjie § Dorotheanthus bellidiformis - Bokbaai Vygie § Carpobrutus acinaciformis - Elandsvy § Dimorphotheca pluvialis - Reenblommetjie § Albuca flaccida - slang Tamarak § Hemimeris sabulosa - sand Geelgesiggie § Teragonia fruticosa - Kinkelbossie (starting) § Arctotis hirsuta - Gousblom § Zaluzianskya villosa - Drumsticks (starting) § Hermannie myrrhifolia - flynblaar kruip Poproos

HOPEFIELD: Arctotis hirsuta-Oranje en geel gousblomme,Drumsticks-Zaluzianskya villosa,Dumort-Nylandtia spinosa-Skilpadbessiebos,Zantedeschia aethiopica-Arum-Varkblom,Dimorphotheca pluvialis-Reenblommetjie,Nyland scopariatia-Purple duinebessiebosse.

SALDANHA/JACOBSBAAI: SAS Nature Reserve: Reëndaisies, gousblomme ,Saldanha Pypie, Ferraria crispa, blue flowers,orange daisies,white daisies.

VREDENBURG: Gousblomme, orange daisies, white daisies, varklelies.

PIKETBERG
LOCATION OF FLOWERS: Redelinghuys
TYPE OF FLOWERS: Daisies, Tjienkerienjees En gousblomme

VELDDRIF (INCLUDES DWARSKERSBOS) & AURORA

LOCATION OF FLOWERS: Velddrif: North of the graveyard; Voortrekkerweg turn left in Douglas Wiid Street, right in Carosini and back to Voortrekkeweg with Hoofstreet; Voortrekkerweg turn left into Dahlias avenue, right into Jakaranda avenue and right into Tecoma avenue
Aurora: in town
TYPE OF FLOWERS: Sandveld/Strandveld
Nemesia, Salie/Salvia, Geel hongerblom, Drumsticks, Hermonnia,Slakblom,Duikerwortel,Reënblom,Vyebos,Boophane, Varkslaai, Langbeensuring, Geelsuring, Vingerpol/Hoordpol/Euphorbia kapiet medusa, Veldkool, Klapperbos, Melkbos: Steenbok/Euphorbia, Blou pypies/Gladiolus cariauathus, Feëklokkies, Oranje Gousblom, Sandgesiggie, Ursinia, Sonkasriet, Geeloogsuring, Rooi viooltjie/Lachenalia, Ossiebossie

CEDERBERG AREA

CLANWILLIAM
LOCATION OF FLOWERS Flowers can already be seen at Ramskop Nature Garden, Vrede Oord Begraafplaas in town as well as the residental area’s in town. In the surrounding area, you can visit the Biedouw Valley (flowers only in the valley not on your way there), Nardouwsberg (flowers are starting to come out), Tankwa Karoo, Panorama Park in Lambertsbay, N7 between Citrusdal and Clanwilliam, Markuskraal pad, Boschkloof pad Citrusdal.
TYPE OF FLOWERS: Bont-Ot’korrie, Bitteraalwyn, Bobbejaantjie, pers Vygies, Sporrie, Ridderspoor, Langbeensuring, Sambreeltjies, , Hongerblom, reenblomme, Daisies, Clanwilliam Daisy

FLOWER SHOWS: Clanwilliam Wild Flower Show 2009 – 27 August till 2 September – Flower Church

MATZIKAMA AREA

LOCATION OF FLOWERS On the R363 between Klawer & Vredendal flowers can be seen, also gravel road between Vredendal &
Lambertsbay.Towards Lutzville on way to Strandfontein & Doringbaai.Whales can be seen playing with their calves in the bay between Strandfontein & Doringbaai and on the hiking route
between these two towns. R27 between Vredendal
& Vanrhynsdorp. Urionskraal, Maskam & Gifberg
roads in the Vanrhynsdorp area.

TYPE OF FLOWERS: Pers vygies, wit en appelkoos oranje daisies,
geel perde bosse, geel piet snotjies kolle, oranje en geel Namakwa daisies, pers hongerbosse, sporries, botterblomme, gazanias, sierings.

FLOWER SHOWS: Kokerboom Succulent Nursery Show - Vanrhynsdorp
August – September Mon – Sun : 8am – 5 pm

HARDEVELD AREA
LOCATION OF FLOWERS: Nearby the Hardeveld Tourism Centre next to the N7 road in Bitterfontein. Flowers can be seen at the railway station in Bitterfontein.
TYPE OF FLOWERS: Namaqua daisies and perdeblomme.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:20 am 

hi, Micetta,

I do not no how to place my fotos but I will try. Have a nice day.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

HI All

Spent Sunday in and around the WCNP, mostly at Churchhaven. Part of the group I was with decided to go on a short drive to Postberg, about 10km from Churchhaven. What a stunning afternoon it was and the drive which lasted only about 2 hours proved that you can have as good sightings right here as in the KNP.
The flowers were not in their full glory but there was some representation of a few species. So we just drove up to the view point over Langebaan etc
The game viewing was spectacular on the one South Western Facing slope. It resembled more like how the viewing of great herds must have been than anywere I have seen in South Africa.
Herds of antelope: counted +/- 100 Eland, 20 or so Bontebok, many Springbok, a handful of Blue Wildebeest and Gemsbok as well as about 15 Mountain Zebra were spread out everywhere. Also the odd steenbok wandered through the open area. Great interactions amongst the herds were witnessed and there are so so many babies. The Eland babies formed a group of about 20 and one Bontebok female had separated to go and give birth...her tail was up in the early stages of giving birth and had it not been closing time, I am sure we would have witnessed the birth!
In amongst the herds there were numerous bat-eared foxes, about 10 in total digging about foraging etc. Guineafowls, Ostriches. Grey winged francolins and many other species were loving the late afternoon sun and as we left we thought we saw a caracal run from the open area. We couldnt confirm it but it didnt matter as at the exit of Postberg we saw a Kruger style traffic jam and saw they were looking at a caracal sunning itself for a good 10 mins before we left (guess it was the same one as Tony). Then a few hundred metres on we saw another couple of bat eared foxes and then another caracal,,, bringing my tally for the West Coast National Caracal Park to 12 just for this year alone and thats in about 6 or 7 visits!
Further on we saw another herd of about 10 Eland at the Langebaan turnoff in the Park and then outside the Park was a herd of about 60 Eland and 4 giraffe.
Just to remind you this was all in about 2 hours.
Will post some pics later but they arent the best quality...
If you go its important to choose a day when there is little or no wind and preferably sunshine in the afternoon. Its on these days that I have had the best game viewing there.
Good luck!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:42 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

WoW, o-dog!!! :big_eyes: Just curious, where "outside the park" did you see eland and giraffe? (Perhaps that private reserve — I think it's called Buffelsfontein? — that borders the R27???)

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Arks yip that is the reserve I saw them at but only while driving along the R27. I often see the Eland there, but the Giraffe only very occasionally, but there were 4 of them feeding close to the fence...rounded off the 'game drive' in fine style! :)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BTW arks good luck in getting a decent caracal viewing! They are around the WCNP more and more in my opinion!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, o-dog, I'll keep a sharp lookout. I've never seen anything when driving past Buffelsfontein on the R27 :-( And I'll definitely be :pray: for a caracal sighting in WCNP. I had a glimpse once, about 10-15 seconds just before the Churchhaven turnoff, but it does sound like they are being seen more frequently of late :dance: :pray: :whistle:

16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Arks check the caracal thread-I put up hotspots for WCNP a few months back!
Buffelsfontein produces Eland more often than not from R27 during late afternoon drive back to Cape Town. There also used to be an oStrich which stayed in the South Western corner (right next to R27) of Buffelsfontein for a number of years. It became a joke because it was there 100% of the 50 plus times we drove past :) Maybe a case of the WCNP 'grass' was greener or it just liked the view !!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:01 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Dreamer and I were in WCNP last Friday. If you would like to read more about our day in the park check
here

Caracal :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:03 am 

Hi everyone

Do you think its worth going up to the WCNP this weekend for flowers? My parents are here from Durban and they would love to see some flowers - I just don't want to get them excited if the weather isnt playing along. Looks like Sunday is the warmest day (but still freezing! ;)

Any other flower routes around Langebaan etc that anyone can report on?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next