Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: First time visit to Bontebok Park
Unread postPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:32 pm 

HI, All

My wife and I only discovered the fun of camping in our latter years, hence are quite new to it. We already made a booking in the Bontebok Park for the period between Christmas'09 and New Year.

Being from JHB and not quite familiar with conditions in the Cape, I was wondering if somebody could assist with some advice:

What are the facilities like in Bontebok?

Weather that time of the year? Possibility of rain?

Do we need to cater for anything else we wouldn't take along on an ordinary camping week?

Lighting in the camp at night?

Conditions of the roads in the park?

Size of the park in hectares?

We would appreciate any advice we could get.

Tutekit

Post subject: Re: First time visit to Bontebok Park
Unread postPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Tutekit

Bontebok has excellent facilities nowadays - however shade can be a bit problematic (especially for the period you plan to go). The ablution block has undergone major upgrading and is very neat - although I am 100% sure that the person who planned the size of the shower cubicles is a midget.

The chances for rain during the Christmas/New Year period are very low - situated in the winter rainfall region. Temperatures in the low 30's are not uncommon for that time of year - in general quite nice weather.

No, you do not need to take anything else with than you would have for any other ordinary camping vacation.

Lang Elsies Kraal camp site has Eskom power now and the camp area is quite well lit at night.

The road conditions can be quite bad sometimes - especially if you tow a conventional caravan.

It is the smallest of the South African National Parks - merely 25kmĀ², but a gem on its own.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:58 am 

Stoffel's covered all the answers to your questions, but can I just add that this is one of the loveliest places I've visited in South Africa.

It's a tiny park, but it has so much to offer. The bonteboks themselves are great, and hang around the admin block, and there are fantastic walking trails across the wide open countryside.

You can swim in the Breede River, which is lovely, cool and refreshing on a hot day.

On a final note, Bontebok has what is possibly THE best souvenire T-shirt in South Africa. It's good quality khaki cotton with a nicely emboidered SANPARKs logo and a bontebok on the chest. If you go there, you must buy the T-shirt!!

I'd recommend this to anyone as a stop between Cape Town and tourist destinations in the Eastern Cape. The lodges there are also superb.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:53 pm 

Hi Tutekit,
We camped at Bontebok in February this year and absolutely loved it :thumbs_up: . It was quite hot, probably similar to what it would be like around the end of December/beginning January, but we cooled off in the river which is a short walk from the campsite and even shorter from the chalets. It was divine :thumbs_up: . The campsite is lovely with quite a few bushes and some trees and we were visited in the camp by 3 bontebok every morning. :D . You are also very close to Swellendam so if you do run out of anything and it is not availble at the shop at reception, it won't be a problem. Regarding the road, we found it a bit hair raising from the reception to the campsite, but just take it slow. We tow with an Opel Corsa bakkie and we have a CI Escape. It is a very enjoyable park with plenty of wildlife and loads of birds :thumbs_up: . The walks are also very nice and not too strenuous, unfortunately there was one which was closed at the time due to flood damage, but I'm sure it will be open by now. All in all we loved it and can't wait to go back. :clap:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:04 pm 

By the way Tutekit, if you go to the older posts, I posted some of our pics on the 21st Feb of our stay in Bontebok, which should give you some idea of what the campsite and the swimming area at the river looks like. Hope you can find it, as I don't know how to post a link to an older post. :redface:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:50 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Wow, such a comprehensive list of answers. Well done everybody. :dance:

If you need a change of scenery, there are Cape parks nearby, like Grootvadersbos, where you can do stunning forest walks, with good birding.
You could also go to Swellendam for lunch and to see the Cape architecture.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:09 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
The showers were the best I have encountered in a NP. The only negative was thet they were a bit small.
The hot water was hot, with strong pressure, there were 3 pegs to hang your stuff on, and a tilt up seat. The shower curtain was heavy and kept all the water inside the shower. I could also look out of the window at the birds while showering!