Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Road condition to and in TANKWA national park?
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:13 pm 

Hi all,
My wife and I are planning to stay 2 days in the Tankwa national park (Elandsberg wilderness camp) at the end of April on our way back from the Cape to Gauteng.

We have a normal good middle class sedan and the following questions.

Are the roads ok for a Sedan?
How are the roads?
Which is the best approach?
Is there small shop?
Any other useful information would be welcome.

Thanks fuzzzzy

Post subject: Re: Road condition to and in TANKWA national park?
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:47 pm 

The main roads in to the park are all gravel but in good condition (unless there are floods!) and suitable for a sedan. As with all gravel roads cautious driving is recommended and make certain that your spare tyre is in good condition - and you know how to change it!

The road from the main road to Elandsberg (some 1km) is slightly more daunting but with caution can be driven in a sedan.

There is no shop in the park - make certain that you bing all you need with you. Remeber also that there is no petrol available in the park: Calvinia, Middelpos and Ceres are where you can get fuel (but remember also that Middelpos fuel is not 24 hours - and not on Sundays or after 12:00 (it may be 2:00) on Saturdays.

Besides the main roads throught the parks many of the roads are passable - but enquire at reception as local conditions can change this with the drifts and roads in muddy areas.

Enjoy the Takwa - I'll be there this weekend!

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:26 pm 

Is it possible to buy fire wood in the park? (so said on the parks section of the website).

Unread postPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:22 pm 

We went on a road trip at the end of March 2009 in a Renault Clio and wrote off 3 tyres in the process, but it was still very exciting and worthwhile. The Ceres-Calvinia road and others in that area are notorious for cutting tyres. We lost our first tyre on Katbakkies pass just outside Ceres and the second just before the Tankwa reception (the 3rd was lost later on the way to Beaufort West). The folks at Tankwa very kindly went to Calvinia and had the tyres replaced (they had to go anyway - also to replace tyres). After Tankwa we went up Ouberg Pass which was and experience on its own.

The roads were in good condition, but they have a reputation for being hard on tyres. We chatted to the locals and they say sometimes you just have bad luck - even their bakkies lose tyres at times.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:40 am 

I know this is courting disaster, but, here goes anyway. We have been to the Tankwa at least six times now in the last year and a half and have travelled many of the Park roads (including Gannaga pass, the road behind Pramberg and even up the Langkloof). To date I have not yet lost a tyre. In most cases we were a group of up to seven vehicles, and some have lost tyres. The type of tyre you have is important, but also the way you drive and the tyre pressure. Although it is often said to have lower pressure on sandy roads, for rocky areas like the Tankwa you should keep normal pressure. Also many tyres are cut on the said rather than underneath, so avoid rocky edges of the roads. Also be careful where small streams have crossed the roads or at the bottom of dips - this sometimes exposes sharp stones.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:02 am 

I think I painted a too gloomy picture in my previous post and have to agree with Bookman. All three tyres we lost were due to cuts on the sides. They were slightly lower profile tyres, so they looked to me as if their sides bulged a little more and were more exposed to sharp stones. Perhaps we should have checked tyre pressure, or increased it a bit. The replacement tyres were more ordinary (higher profile) and they looked more suited to South African conditions (and none of them succumbed during our road trip). All the roads looked in very good condition and I was really surprised that we lost tyres - I really kept my eyes on the road looking for sharp stones. As the bloke at Tankwa said - sometimes you just have bad luck.

I did not want to instill fear in future adventurers, it was more just telling my story as it was still quite recent. I enjoy adventure and would love to go there again.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:17 pm 

We visited this amazing park on the long weekend of May'09.
I feel obliged to report on the road conditions in Tankwa KP, as it might not have been such an enjoyable weekend if we haven't been driving with a 4*4 with high ground clearance.
There had obviously been quite a bit of rain falling in the previous week, with rivers flowing and many pools of water around. At some points we had to cross quite deep pools of water (and streams) and the roads from the R355 from where you find the turn off for TKP was quite badly damaged at some points and stretches. The roads at that stage were definitely NOT suitable for any sedan vehicle.
Furthermore I thought that the last stretch of road (+/-3km) to the Elandsberg cottages was certainly not suited for a sedan vehicle.
If you are not driving a vehicle with high ground clearance - you do have to phone ahead and enquire about the raod conditions - but then again - what would you do if you have booked and are looking forward to your time in the park? I guess the answer is rather try not to go with a sedan vehicle at this stage...

Post subject: Road to Tankwa
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:10 pm 

Hi,
I need help!!! :pray:
I found two possibles: ways from Cape Town to Tankwa:
1) Cape Town - Ceres - Tankwa
2) Cape Town - Worcester - Touwsrivier - Tankwa

I know, the second one is longer than the first, bust it's almost all N1.

Could anyone suggest me the better way?

Thank you very much

Silvia

Post subject: Re: Road to Tankwa
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

silvia - wish I could help you - but we traveled from Gauteng.
We had a similar choice and decided on the shorter route - the dirt roads were fine just very slippery because of the rain we had.

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:28 pm 

Thank you Moggiedog,
I think you're right there are 80 km of difference! Even the roads will not so fine it's about one hour!

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:16 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Knowing both roads, I will rather opt for the shorter one via Ceres as it is in my opinion a more scenic route to travel than the one via Worcester/Touwsrivier. And the route via Ceres is also on very good tar surface.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:31 pm 

You have convinced me! CERES :thumbs_up:
Thank you very much

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:14 am 

Hi Silvia

Also prefer the Ceres road

and also make 100 % sure about your spare tyre to be prepared for the dirt road

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:18 pm 

On my trip to Tankwa, an emergency tyre repair kit (in a can) or tyre weld, came in very handy.
I drive a SUV frontwheel drive and i found the roads generally good but there are sections that are very bad. This was a year ago though so I don't know what its like now.

[color=#008000]

Birthdays are good for you - the more you have, the longer you live!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:15 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Does anyone know the best route/road that links the northern Cederberg/Clanwilliam to Tankwa Karoo National Park?
Any advice, recommendations, or insight would be highly appreciated. :pray:

Thanks