Skip to Content

2014 Flower updates - WCNP

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast
Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

2014 Flower updates - WCNP

Unread postby Leaping Lizards » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:52 pm

Well folks. Its that time of the year again, and here in Cape Town we are already starting to see the explosions of white and yellow flowers next to the road, on traffic islands and on open fields. Not quite full bloom yet, but getting there.

How is West Coast National Park looking, any updates? Please post
September - Orpen, Talamati and Satara :P

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: 2014 Flower updates - WCNP

Unread postby Leaping Lizards » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:59 am

Lots of rain around followed by few days of sunshine, specifically Friday and a very good day on Sunday. Overcast on Saturday.

All in all, Sunday should be a great day for seeing the flowers all be it at the beginning of the season.

Best wishes, and if you taking the drive up, travel safely.
September - Orpen, Talamati and Satara :P

Kaapsedraai
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)
Award: Small Parks Promoter of the Year & Sighting of the Year - Small Creatures and Insects (2013)

Unread postby Kaapsedraai » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:25 am

Leaping Lizards, thank you for alerting us that it is that tie of the year.
I wanted to visit WCNP earlier than last year - say end Aug...but will look at weather conditions before planning a trip. :D

Would have been nice for a weekend stay over...but does not seem to materialise this year though.
Now active - TMNP: Table Mountain's mood today
Now active - KRUGER Dec'14: 14 days appreciation of nature & wild company
Now active - Agulhas NP: 8-10 July 215
Future trip - Kruger: 10-25 Dec'15

magrund

Unread postby magrund » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi, early August has already past for quite some time and I just wanted to check, what's the flower situation like in WCNP right now? :gflower:

Is it still worth to drive up from CPT this weekend or have we past the tide?

Thanks for a quick and honest note!

Scops

Unread postby Scops » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:16 am

hi magrund,

I was down in CT this last week and drove up to WCNP on friday and can report that the flowers are in full bloom and we had a great day out.
I have never been before so can't compare to previous years but I was suitably impressed and would recommend it.
There were quite a few other visitors so I would suggest a week day visit or to go early on the weekend if possible.

Hope that helps
Scops

magrund

Unread postby magrund » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:40 pm

Thanks, Scops, I think I'll give it a try!

Does anyone have a particular suggestion where to go, or it Postberg Section or nothing?

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:47 pm

Hello magrund and Welcome!

Take you time to enjoy the whole park. There is plenty to see en route to the Postberg section, but unfortunately far too many visitors race (well over the speed limit :twisted: ) to Postberg (or to the swimming beaches and picnic spots) as if everything else this park has to offer was of no interest. There are lovely expanses of flowers within Postberg but also lovely areas along the way. Postberg does also have some antelope (Cape Mountain zebra, spingbok and eland, amongst others) that you're less likely to see elsewhere in the park, but anything is possible if you take your time. My best sightings of eland have all been outside of Postberg.

One of my favourite spots is Tsaarsbank, where you may see a variety of shore and sea birds, including the endangered African black oystercatcher. I love just watching the breakers crash against the rocks there. And the hide at Abrahamskraal is one of the few hides that I enjoy, I've always seen something interesting there.

Flower season is lovely, but there's LOTS else to WCNP :dance: Enjoy your visit.
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

Gabrielle
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Gabrielle » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:33 am

West Coast: “The flower season is now less than a week away from it's official end and there are very few flowers left. The grass is now taller than the flowers, which makes it difficult to see the few flower that are left and the only flowers that are really left are "Stinkkruid" and "Hongerblomme" (purple). Apart from the flowers, visitors can still see plenty of game and enjoy picnics, braais and stunning views.”
Gabrielle Venter
Manager: Media and Stakeholder Relations
South African National Parks (SANParks)

Trout

Unread postby Trout » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:05 pm

Do we have any information on the progress of flowers for this year 2015 , I am new to the forum and any guidance on using the forum will be of a great help to me . :gflower:

NadiaL
Guru
Guru

Unread postby NadiaL » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Hi all

We had some further good rains the past weekend, with the first winter snow on the Kamiesberg. More rain is predicted later this week. We have had cool, cloudy weather for most of the past weeks. We actually need a few sunny days now to get the plants growing properly. We expect the flowers to be a bit later than usual, probably from around the first week of August, and with the right conditions to last a bit longer than usual.

The whole Namaqua area is green, but the plants at Skilpad are not flowering yet. Towards Soebatsfontein the vygies in particular are starting to flower though. The occasional daisy and Varkiesknol (Conicosia sp) is coming out with nice spots of yellow Oxalis sp. at Skilpad.

At the coastal area in the park (Groen river to Spoeg river) there are quite a bit of vygies already flowering, particularly Volstruis vygies. This is normal for the Namaqua coastline, where mist adds moisture additional to any rain. Please note that the coastal section of Namaqua NP can only be visited with a 4x4.

Rainfall at Skilpad:
June 2015: 90.93mm
July 2015 (to date): 37.84mm

It should be noted that it is very difficult to predict with certainty what the flowers would be like and that we can only guess based on current weather conditions.

Kind regards
Bernard van Lente (Namaqua NP - Park Manager)

MATTHYS

Unread postby MATTHYS » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks for the update, NadiaL :gflower: and Bernard van Lente (Namaqua NP - Park Manager) :D
aquila non capit muscas

Return to “Cape Parks”