SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Table Mountain - Safety and Security
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:14 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

http://mg.co.za/article/2011-11-25-fair ... for-hikers

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:12 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Sadly it is mugging season on TM again.

Why don't the 'rangers' do a trojan horse situation. Set up a party of vulnerable looking hikers and when they are accosted shoot the muggers through the knees and drag them to court.

But I suppose it is unfair, impinging on the muggers rights, the rights they don't afford to their victims.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:37 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

There are 2000 muggings in Hyde Park, London a year, including stabbings. Table Mountain I am sure has similar visitor numbers and is much much bigger. It is still a city park and like all city parks there is a crime risk. The headlines are more spectacular when there is crime on a tall, iconic mountain as opposed to a regular city park...

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

http://www.news24.com/Travel/South-Afri ... d-20121002

Some good news!

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:01 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Fantastic news! :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:18 pm 

Agree Graham_5000 and Granjan .....great news :D

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:06 pm 

Hi all,

and thanks for sharing. Great news indeed - will be there in about one and a half week :D

Mel

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am so jealous. Hike to the top and get the cable car down! Platteklip gorge is technically easy to climb and the views are great!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:01 pm 

Thank you Graham, but no need to be jealous! I'll greet the mountain for you :)

Mel

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:36 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

These guys had a major part in the success which has been achieved: Patrol dogs

Well done to all involved! Keep it up!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparkshr.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:32 am 

Hi there, is alcohol allowed on signal hill and does one require a permit to picnic there?

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:29 pm 

Hi to all,
I was so looking forward to taking the family to South Africa next August, climbing table Mountain, walking on the beaches etc but the more I read the less sure I am about the whole idea. Is it Ok to walk on Table Mountain? Will we have to attach ourselves to a group of tourists? When driving the coast in the Cape Town area, if we see a beautiful beach but with no one on it, should we think twice about going for a walk?
I'm a birder - do I have to forget the idea or leaving the family somewhere and wandering off to do a bit of birding on my own? Am I just getting paranoid? I know most of you will probably say "oh it only happens to an unlucky few" but if that's us!
Thanks in advance for any advice
Tim

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You can enjoy deserted beaches within the Cape Point protect reserve without any concerns - my top tip is Platboom or Olifantsbos beaches on the Atlantic side 5 minutes drive from the Cape of Good Hope.

Other deserted beaches like Noordhoek (near Chapman's Peak) are fine as well, although a few years ago there was the occasional mugging on the Masiphumelele/Kommetjie side of the 13 km beach.

That said I haven't heard of problems here for years. There was a mugging near Hout Bay up in the mountains above the Imizamo Yethu informal settlement, earlier this year and a couple on Signal Hill and at Sandy Bay. The crime on the mountain chain has been massively cut though the last 12 months.

You have to remember that the National Park is massive and contains mountains and beaches which are on occasion adjacent to built up areas.. Thus you have to treat it as a city park; indeed Hyde Park in London has lots of muggings and stabbings, but seeing the huge number of visitors, it doesn't mean you are at a high risk.

I can highly recommend Platteklip Gorge walk (park near the cable car station and take the car down once on top), Kasteelspoort hike (park on Theresa Avenue, Camps Bay). Other good walks include Skeleton Gorge (start and finish from Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens) and numerous walks on the peninsula.

We have always done walks as an "isolated" couple in all the above recommended beaches and the three walks above.. It sounds like the petty thefts along the Table Mountain National Park are under control. Go and enjoy the stunning scenery!

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:44 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

[quote][/quoYou have to remember that the National Park is massive and contains mountains and beaches which are on occasion adjacent to built up areas.. Thus you have to treat it as a city park; indeed Hyde Park in London has lots of muggings and stabbings, but seeing the huge number of visitors, it doesn't mean you are at a high risk.
quote]

Do not want to appear impolite Graham, but jmo, I live in walking distance of Hyde Park (in Chelsea) and would think nothing of walking alone in the park and often cut through on foot from Mayfair to Knightsbridge or, when my niece and nephew were toddlers, took them on their little scooters for a picnic on the grass.

In 2009/2010 there were 619 murders in England and Wales. Random attacks happen, but they are rare. The homicide numbers are 11 murders per million people.

It is a good idea to put pressure on the powers that be to improve safety on TMNP, as Cape Town is an inportant revenue earner for South Africa.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Having been mugged at knife point, I don't view Hyde Park as you do, although it is certainly safer than my local park in south London, I have just had bad luck. I wasn't making a comparison of the crime between the nations and agree the authorities need to be encouraged to continue to do more to curb the muggings along the TMNP chain as these are not good for the city as a whole.

I was in fact pointing out that TMNP should be treated as an urban park from the point of view of safety. At the same time I was trying to encourage Tim to enjoy the park as it is clear improvements have been made this year, although more could always be done. Dan Plato mentioned earlier this year in a press conference that during bad months as many as 30 people were mugged across the park. I don't know how many people visit the park per month though. Thank goodness the increase in officers and dogs has reduced the problem, but seeing as even one act of crime is an issue there is more to be done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next