Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:19 am 

Does anybody have an idea on when the best period for flowers will be in West Coast National Park (especially Postberg) this year (2008)?

I normally go around the 2nd weekend (9/10 Aug) in August, but this year I can't. I suppose the 3rd weekend (16/17 Aug) will still be OK?

I've been to Langebaan on 19/20 July, but saw no flowers yet. I was quite surprised, I saw a lot of tortoises around. Don't they hibernate any more?

I assume we can expect a great flower season due to all the good rains.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:28 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there Bokmakierie. The rainfall and the lack of warm berg winds have a definite influence on the lenght of the flower season. I personally prefer late August and early September for visiting Postberg and yes, it seems as if the flowers are a little slow this year. I think 16/17 August will do just fine. Just remember, the best time to observe the flowers are normally between 11H00 and 15H00 when the flowers turns towards the sun ... so try to keep the sun behind you for the best views and photo opportunities. Happy flowering season to you.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:05 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Last week Aug & first week Sept are usually bankers. The rest can be early or late depending on the rain, which has been good this year so far.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:18 pm 

Heading there this weekend, anyone know if there’s a slight glimpse of flowers yet...as I see most agree that it's only end Aug? :roll: :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
You could get the first lot of flowers. Namaqua NP is blooming at the moment.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:42 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Sonbesie wrote:
Heading there this weekend, anyone know if there’s a slight glimpse of flowers yet...as I see most agree that it's only end Aug? :roll: :(

Sonbesie - please give us a report back next week! :thumbs_up:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:53 am 

Yes, I also would love to hear as I'm heading there on 16/17th of August!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:35 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi there Sonbesie,

There currently are some flowers in the Postberg section as well as other places in the WCNP, but they are not out in full force yet. We are expecting the best flowers in about 2 weeks time. You will see some flowers this weekend, weather permitting and the sun is shining. You will be able to see large patches of white, yellow and orange flowers in the fields alongside the road leading to Langebaan. My advice is to contact the WCNP for a update on the flowers before arriving. The tel number is 022-7722144. Happy flowering!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just an update on the flowers currently on the West Coast

LANGEBAAN
Postberg opened until 30September for flower viewing.
Flowers can be seen on the road between Vredenburg and St Helena and also on the road from Vredenburg towards Hopefield.From Saldanha,Blou waterbaai as you come into Langebaan in Long Acres
Open fields in the whole area of Langebaan.In postberg all the flowers are in full bloom already ecspecially on a nice day
Langebaan Country Estate and the road behind Oliphantskap on your way to the R27.
On the road between Paternoster and Vredenburg also towards Tietiesbaai and Columbine Nature reserve.Inside Postberg private nature reserve the flowers are very beautiful.On the road between Vredenburg and Saldanha beautiful varklelies.

Along the roads:
There’s rain flowers and yellow suringe all over the fields and on the roads and white daisies.Between Saldanha and Vredenburg along the road varklelies.

On your way to Vredenburg, turn left for Jacobsbay you will see spectacular views of flowers. From Langebaan on to Saldanha in Camp street is a variety of flowers.

TYPE OF FLOWERS:
Vygies
Romelia saldenis-Yellow knots.
Daisies

POSTBERG (Flowers in bloom)
bolblomme,bobbejaantjies,Viooltjies,
bloukappie,rotstert,varklelie,spinnekopblom,yellow suringe,Nealtjiesblom,lobelia,Vygies,
Bloublekkie,rotsterte,blue flowers,orange daisies,vygie bosse,chinkerenchees, rooi kanools Blou Flaks pietsnot are all out already

COLUMBINE NATURE RESERVE (Flowers in bloom)
Hermannia alnifolia – Bos poproos, Euphobia burmannii – Steenbokbos, Dorotheanthus Bellidiformis – Bokbaai Vygie, Pelargonium fulgidum – Rooi Malva,
Trachyandra falcata – Namakwa Kool,Albuca flaccida – slang tamarak,Carpo acinaciformis – Elandsvy,Thesium spinosum – steek Groenbasbossie,Lampampranthus vredenburgensis –Vredenburg kruip vygie,Ballota africana – Kattekruit,Nemesia versicolor – Weeskindertjies / bont Leeubekkie,Salvia africana- Strand Sali, Dimorphotheca pluvialis – Reenblommetjie,Oxalis pes-capre – Suring / Sorel,Hemimeris sabulosa – sand Geelgesiggie,Oxalis obtusa – geeloog Suring,Hermannia althaefolia – wolhaar Poproos,Teragonia fruticosa – Kinkelbossie,Arctotis hisuta – Gousblom,Feraria crispa - Spinnekopblom

GENERAL:
Because of the rain, the flowers are guaranteed to be at its best this year.
Experience the beauty of flowers between 11h00 and 16h00, the warmest periods of the day.Flowers turn their faces towards the sun.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:12 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks so much for the update, annalie! :D Am looking forwarding to spending a day or two among the flowers on my way up to KTP. 8)

Post subject: Re: West Coast NP: INFO
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:22 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, annalie, it's beautiful!! Is it in WCNP (Postberg?) or just along a WC road? Just to drive up the R27 can be breathtaking during flower season Image

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:41 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Arks,

It was within the Postberg section, en-route to the lovely picnic spot on the beach. You are quite correct, the flowers are lovely alongside the roads and it takes us longer now to reach our destinations due to looking at flowers and driving way to slow on public roads. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:48 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
We popped in to WCNP on Sat 16th for a look at the flowers and other interesting things.(thanx to annalie's info and lovely pix :thumbs_up: )

The flowers were beautiful in the Postberg section, but there were not a lot of flowers out in the main section of WCNP. I think that in a week to 2 weeks time the flowers will be spectacular! We saw lots of fields with white and yellow flowers with a sprinkling of orange and pink. Some of the pink vygies seem to have flowered early this year, but hopefully there is still more to come. In all, we had a stunning day amongst the flowers and fynbos! :dance: ( I will try to do a mini report soon.)

F2/2014

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:03 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

wanderw wrote:
We popped in to WCNP on Sat 16th for a look at the flowers and other interesting things.(thanx to annalie's info and lovely pix :thumbs_up: )

The flowers were beautiful in the Postberg section, but there were not a lot of flowers out in the main section of WCNP. I think that in a week to 2 weeks time the flowers will be spectacular! We saw lots of fields with white and yellow flowers with a sprinkling of orange and pink. Some of the pink vygies seem to have flowered early this year, but hopefully there is still more to come. In all, we had a stunning day amongst the flowers and fynbos! :dance: ( I will try to do a mini report soon.)

If this report that you are going to do soon includes the word "caracal' then I don't want to read it ..... :evil: :wink:
:popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!
:hmz: Maybe I should call it ' Flowers, Feathers and Furballs' ! :wink:

(Michele - just remember a certain very lucky lady is off north very soon, so please forgive me if I'm feeling a bit :twisted: )

F2/2014

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next