View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:17 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi everyone.

Quick update on Postberg from Park HQ:

The roads are still being graded. There is a rough patch on the road up the hill from the military base turnoff to Uitkyk where the erosion is being fixed, but as long as you drive carefully and slowly, the road is entirely passable. All the other Postberg roads are fine. The grader is still busy there, and the Uitkyk section is expected to be completed by Monday coming.

I hope this answers the question.

Enjoy, and don't forget to look out for whales at Plankiesbaai, Atlantic Viewpoint and Tsaarsbank.

Henri Frederic Amiel (1821-1881)
Philosopher and writer

Post subject: Postberg
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:58 pm 

I will be going to Postberg this weekend. This is the moment I have been waiting for, for the past 7 months. We moved to Langebaan in December 2006 and ever since I waited for the gates to open.

Post subject: West Coast
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:50 am 

We went to Postberg on Sunday. The roads are all usable. On Postberg some of the roads are still washed away a little bit, but if you drive slow and carefully it is nothing to worry about. There were a lot of normal cars like Golfs, Mercs, Opels, etc driving around.

On our way out we came to an open patch of field and there we saw just about everything you find in the park, Eland, Sprinbok, Blouwildebees, Ostriches, etc. Unfortunately I only have a 300mm zoom on my camera and could not come too close. See pics below:
All these photographs were taken from one spot.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:55 am 

This one we saw just before we went out the Northern Gate

Some people do not want to believe me that you can see Table Mountain from Langebaan, here is the proof, taken close to Geelbek:

And then of course some flowers:

If it is your first time at Postberg, take your picnic basket with. As you drive through the area you will note that you are not allowed to get out of your vehicle. But on top of Postberg on the Saldanha side is a picnic area. You will have the opportunity there to photograph almost all the flowers you see from closer.

Last edited by pietpetoors on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Flowers
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:42 am 

I received a couple of PMs asking for more photographs, so I posted the full story at http://www.bokkom.co.za/flowers/5aug.php

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:57 am 

Anybody who can give me more information on Duinepos chalets? Do I contact central reservations?

Post subject: West Coast
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:49 am 

See
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/west_coast/tourism/duinepos.php

Post subject: Shark Bay
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:24 pm 

Can somebody please explain to me under whose wing does Shark Bay fall? Where does the Parks Board's responsibility stop there?

For the past month, just about every time I go there, there are Quad Bike tracks on the beach. The idiot not only drives on the beach but also goes through the bushes and is really ruining the area.

On Sunday morning there was a parks board official there and I asked him about it. He just said that they do not have enough man power to catch the guy.

Can't we perhaps put up a sign clearly indicating that quad bikes are not allowed on the beach and perhaps add a cell number people can call if they see quad bikes on the beach. I am sure you guys can confiscate it when you catch the guy?

The current signs only shows that dogs and so on are not allowed but there is not picture of quad bikes on the sign.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:53 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi-I'm taking a look-sorry about the delay-I'll forward this to the park manager...

Dianne

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:24 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi

I haven't had feedback on the above issue as of yet.

I'm posting this message on behalf of the WC Honorary Rangers

Quote:
It is with great regret that the West Coast Honorary Rangers announce the death of Mrs. Johanna Blake who died this morning (15 November 2007) in Langebaan aged 95.
Johanna was the mother of our very own Oom Dawid Bester, Master Tracker who sadly passed away on 01 August 2001, leaving his wife, Tannie Christina and a number of children. A nine kilometer hiking trail in the Park has since been named after him in his honour.
The HR West Coast Region will remember both of these wonderful people in our thoughts and prayers.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:07 pm 

Is it worthwhile visiting WCNP in February? Not sure if we will have time but we are in Cape Town for 6 days so we might (I'm presuming it's do-able to go as a daytrip from Cape Town - we are staying in Bantry Bay)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

sammylou, it's a lovely day-trip from Cape Town. Whether it's worth it depends on what else you have planned, and what your interests are.

If you are a birder, or have an interest in waterbirds, WCNP is a must. The landscape up the West Coast is also very pretty, in a sand-and-sea way, and the Langebaan Lagoon is a major attraction for watersports.

Of course, the flowers are a major attraction, but they are a spring event.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:35 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

sammylou, WCNP is one of my personal favourites, I always visit it (sometimes more than once) when I am in the Cape. There's lots more to it than the spring wildflowers. I find the landscapes beautiful and the variety of plants very interesting, and of course the birding is very good. You will likely see ostriches and bontebok, possible also tortoises and I once had a glimpse of a caracal 8) I also love the Tsaarsbank beach area, where you will see interesting shore birds, including the endangered African oystercatcher, as well as waves crashing into rocks. And if you follow the track past the picnic area, there's a nice long beach if you enjoy walking along beaches.

There are several WCNP trip reports, including mine from April 2006 (doubt I'll get September 2007 written before you're there), in the Cape parks trip report index. Have a great trip!!

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:45 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
We had a Cape meet with prings in August 2007. Look for wanderw's report.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:04 pm 

[quote="arks"]possible also tortoises

There were tortoises everywhere when we were there in Sept 2006. It was easy to get shots of tortoises amongst flowers.
Birds were great too, and we saw lots of interesting plants.
This ferraria crispa for instance:

It's nice because you can get photos of animals and birds in a sea of flowers.
/Neil

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next