Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Boulders beach campsite
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:40 pm 

Yesterday I ventured down to Boulders Beach for an early morning breakfast picnic at 8am .The tide was not completely out but there was sufficient space on the beach and a group of penguins sunbathing on the nearby rocks to remind us of what a special place this beach is. I was shocked to find that after about an hour more and more people started arriving and erecting substantial tents on the beach and various shade cloth structures. No more tidy little umbrellas, these people have taking beachgoing to the next level. The problem is, this beach is small, you have to pay R35 per adult to get into the nature reserve, so in theory numbers should be limited and everyone should have a small square of beach to enjoy, but these tents take up an inordinate amount of space and unfairly prevent others from enjoying the beach. We saw rangers early on when we arrived but none later - we felt this really should be policed and prevented, ie only small umbrellas allowed. When we left I counted at least 4 biggish tents on the beach.

Speaking to a friend who goes regularly but also arrives early and leaves midmorning I understand this is a common frustration and not just a once off occurrence. Can anything be done to protect this lovely beach from being invaded by the tents ?

Post subject: Re: Boulders beach campsite
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:33 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hey KirstenR - Welcome to the boards :D
Boulders is a tough one.Its a rare escape spot from a bad south easter. I love it but do avoid it in peak times because the main beach is tiny especially if the tides are high. Theyre not that bad at the moment but sometimes there is literally a sliver of beach and it is first come first serve and some people do come down in quite large groups. Next time (if the tide isnt really high) walk the whole way across the beach in a westerly direction until you hit the rocks then go through that really narrow tunnel and climb up over and down( not too hard I promise) and you can get to a much bigger public access area that has LOADS of spaces. It is always worth the effort even though one isnt as protected from a bad south easter.I dont think I have ever seen a gazebo that side!---

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:02 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Quote:
Next time (if the tide isnt really high) walk the whole way across the beach in a westerly direction until you hit the rocks then go through that really narrow tunnel and climb up over and down( not too hard I promise) and you can get to a much bigger public access area that has LOADS of spaces.

and LOADS of penguins..really really close up !!!!

At one stage I sat on a rock to photograph a penguin and when I turned around there was another perched on the rock right next to me..it really is worth doing a bit of tunneling and clambering over the rocks... as AjayB quoted just get the tides right. :roll: Dreamer and I just made it back in time ...a few minutes later and we would have had to have balanced our camera bags on our heads !!!! :shock:

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:28 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

KirstenR,
What a pity your day was spoilt. Boulders is such a beautiful beach. I feel sure if they receive enough formal objections re the size of the tents used for shade, they would look into enforcing a restriction on the size permissible.
As AjayB and Caracal suggest, do give the other side a try. It's my favourite place :D

I found it so amusing watching these two. Nearly a mirror image.

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:35 pm 

Nice pic Dreamer :clap: :clap: :clap:

:) :) :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:59 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Looks like you :angel: had some fun. Tide tables are available from Sportsman Warehouse LOL Love the running one legged and twins snaps :clap: