Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Tankwa Karoo NP: INFO
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:32 pm 

Hi guys,

Yes, the blue flags indeed indicate the main entrance points to Tankwa NP – the crossed squares indicating where access is not allowed. The road through Jackalsfontein is only open to guests who have been booked in at one of the Tanqua Guesthouse Units. All other guests still have to report to our offices at Roodewerf. I am at present busy sourcing signage for these turn-offs, and if all goes according to plan, it should be erected by the end of September.

The Oudebaaskraal and Ymasqua Properties, on which the Tanqua Guesthouse Complex is situated, was bought by SANParks during late 2007. Currently the accommodation is only used on a self-catering basis and is ideal for larger groups – the main building can accommodate up to 10 guests with the smaller unit, about 100m away, able to accommodate a maximum of 8 guests. You can contact our office for reservations, do an online booking or contact the Central Reservations office for a booking.

Die Jaghut was used as an overnight facility for duck hunters after the construction of the Oudebaaskraal Dam. At present it is not included into our accommodation for rent as it currently only has the bare essentials. However, guests who are interested in staying at Die Jaghut and willing to “rough-it”, can contact the Park office for more info.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:00 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Are there any flowers in the park yet as well as the surrounding areas?

I'm doing a birding trip up the R355, Skitterykloof and maybe someway up the P2250 next week Sunday (9 August) and was just wondering if the flowers started showing in that area yet.

How wet is it in the Park at the moment and what is the condition of the roads like as far as travelling with a sedan?

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:13 am 

Hi all

Yes, there are flowers in the Tanqua. On the R355 Between the turnoff to Die Mond and the Western/Northern Cape border there are spectacular patches of yellow. I did not visit the park itself. Also bear in mind the flowers only show in the afternoon.

The R355 is hard and dry with a few wet patches along the road. Beware Ceres is freezing cold.

Here are a few photos. They were all taken in the Tanqua Karoo on Sunday, August 2nd 2009.

Table Mountain and the Spout, world famous for its rock-climbing.

Gazanias in the Tanqua Karoo

Another famous mountain, the Skoorsteenberg.

Patches of red, seems to be some kind of grass. Any guesses?

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:07 am 

Hi there,

There are indeed flowers in the park – Varschfontein & Pramberg/Volmoersfontein area, and scattered throughout the Park for that matter. Bulbs are not out yet (in Roggeveld section of the Park) due to the prevalent cold temperatures.

The Karoopoort Area, as you cross from tar to gravel from Ceres, also promises a beautiful show of Mesembs and other flowering shrubs.

The Park is quite dry – the last rains worth mentioning occurring around the 14th of July. No rains are predicted for the coming weekend. From Ceres the road is in very good condition as this has been graded. Just be aware of a couple of points from about 50km from Roodewerf, which has not been fixed yet. Roads in the park have not been graded recently, so some care will be required when using a sedan during this coming weekend. Please also see our “Dirt Road Driving Tipshttp://www.sanparks.org/parks/tankwa/tourism/general.php.

Regards,

Letsie

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:52 am 

Thank you eh0109 and letsiec for your posts. I did not receive an email notification of your posts from the forum so only saw it now after my trip.

I did have time to bird all the way up to Tankwa Park and only birded up the R355 to Skitterykloof and back.

Did photograph some flowers (including the red "grassy" stuff eh0109 spoke about). I posted some photos in the plants section and would appreciate it if anyone who knows the plants of the area can have a look here and ID them for me.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:35 pm 

:hmz: Hi All, and a special Hi to Letsie, the tankwa angel. I hope that with all these new signs it will not spoil the 'adventure' of getting 'lost' and finding oneself again. Getting lost allows one to talk to the locals, when you can find one, and get a 'feel' for them.
:D a couple of questions - Elands- - - , how far apart are the accomodations ? Far enough not to intrude on one another ?
:hmz: Have the boundaries been finalized and been marked yet ?
I will definitely warn you, Letsie, when I intend to come that way again - the last two occasions resulted in flash floods and mud slides for roads.
Can you, anyone, recommend a clear, detailed map of the area with most, if not all, of the roads shown. Mapstudio help me to get lost. Infomaps don't tell me anything and I discover 'new' roads.
Looking forward to my next visit.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:45 pm 

Message from Letsie (thank you, Letsie ! :D )

Quote:
It is my pleasure to provide some more information on the camping available here at Tankwa National Park.

At present, we have 7 informal campsites scattered throughout the Park with no facilities, water, ablutions, etc., and thus campers have to be fully self-sufficient in this regard. Camping is allowed on a “what you bring in, you take out”-basis. I include a table below with a brief summary of each campsite’s specific attributes.
We are also in the process of developing a campsite within the Perdekloof Section of the Park – EIA have been completed and awaiting final drawings before construction can commence. This will provide about 6-8 stands, each with their own ablutions.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if any further information is required. Guests are also more than welcome to contact our office via the telephone number below and chat to Elmaré van Wyk, Duty Manager Tankwa National Park, or Juliana de Vries, Receptionist, or on the e-mail address tankwa@sanparks.org.

Kind Regards,
Letsie
Ms. Letsie Coetzee
Section Ranger
South African National Parks (SANParks)
Tankwa National Park

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:08 pm 

Thank you Mattys and Letsie. That's great info. Look forward to our trip next month. Thanks for the info.