Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: A possible solution to unabated Speeding in WCNP
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:21 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I spent a day in WCNP in December, and as usual most people didn’t seem to care about the speed limit and the reason for it. A Black BMW 135i came flying past doing about 120kms an hour and judging by the sound of the exhaust still accelerating.

We visited again on Saturday past and once again lots of speeding and once again some people doing over a 100kms an hour, this time a black Merc C300.

This has been brought up time and time again with very feeble if any response from SANParks.
I have a novel solution; I visited a large, popular non Sanparks park 2 weeks ago. We spent 4 days and 3 nights in the park. The road conditions were atrocious. Even the tar roads where so badly potholed that you could not driver faster than 20 in some places.

In the whole 4 days we saw a grand total of 0 people speeding, none, not a single car speeding.
So that got me thinking. One of the feeble responses from SANParks was about the cost of cameras in WCNP. Well, maybe less maintenance on the road. This will in fact reduce the cost of running the park, the conditions of the roads will deteriorate and people will be forced to drive carefully.

Right now these people know that its good roads, lovely sweeping bends to really take your care through with absolutely to law enforcement, resulting in high numbers of deaths to the animals in the park.

Post subject: Re: A possible solution to unabated Speeding in WCNP
Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:25 pm 

Hi LL

This has been a big problem for a long time - there's nothing worse than cruising in the WCNP at 50kph, enjoying the scenery and a "rat runner" is sitting on your tail harrasing you. I use the term "rat runner" as the majority of the speedsters are folk who are taking a "short cut " from Langebaan to the National Rd and visa versa...they are not genuine visitors to the park.

SANPS will give many reasons why they can't control this but the real reason is simple apathy.
Speeding can justify a criminal charge of reckless or negligent driving. So SANPS personel, do what you have been empowered to do....charge these drivers criminally when you see them speeding. The message will soon spread.

Or if this poses too much of a challenge, then set a minimum time period that a vistor has to spend in the park based on the distance from gate to gate at 50 kph. Simple.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:59 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I also use the beach at Kraal Baai often in Summer, as well as stop at Tsarbank for a bite.

Almost all the speedsters I have uncounted have been on the way to the beaches in summer, and unfortunately I have seen many doing over a hundred, even one skidding round a corner like it was a rally special stage. It is sad to say, but it seems WCNP have absolutely no desire to kerb this problem, as beachgoers in summer are a massive income. The average speed down to the beach is around 80kms and hour, and the odd idiot thinking it is an open race track and going over 100.

I think this other park have inadvertently gotten it right. Parks have relatively empty roads, fast ends and no rules (If you not enforcing the rules, then you basically have no rules) that’s way, a road with odd or frequent potholes will make these guys in their sports cars think twice about speeding.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:59 am 

What ever happened to good old speed bumps? Surely a whole lot of those at short intervals would help solve the problem?