Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:14 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

From one of the most beautiful places of the park: Kalahari Tented Camp (sorry, don't know the number of the tent ), looking out on the Auob river bed.
We have stayed here for a total of 3 nights and will definitely return. The atmosphere of the desert tents is absolutely amazing. A large sleeping tent with spacious, nicely decorated sleeping room, shower and toilet. A large separate, fully equipped kitchen tent, also suitable as dining room, and a terrace between the two tents with excellent views on the Auob river and it's wildlife. Need I say more...
We had jackals, lions and spare-wheel-cover-eating-hyaenas around the tents during the night and a resident family of suricates (meerkats)

(the only 'problem' is that you can't charge your camera batteries)

Last edited by Dotty on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
pox resized

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:16 pm 
Kalahari Tented Camp photos (unfortunately do not have many photos …lost most of our photos of our 2003 trip)

Unit #6 – great view on waterhole

Honeymoon unit – right at the end of the camp…..nice and private. :wink: Has king size bed, bath and shower in en-suite bathroom. At this unit we were treated with a visit from a relatively tame African Wild Cat
(And yes my SO has a tall drink in front of him…was the day we heard we are moving to Moz)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:35 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A few pic to add more interest to KTC :!Pic taken from ajoining kitchen and braai area.

Post subject: Can't charge the batteries....
Unread postPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:47 pm 

Arie,

can only confirm your i,pressions of the Kalahari Tented Camp after we just returned. By the way, for future reference, they sell i.e. in Germany at "www. digitaland.de" 12 V chargers for all kind of camera batteries. Bin there, done it, works great!

Post subject: Re: Kalahari Tented Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:58 pm 

Hi Jannie,

We're planning a trip tp KTP in November 2006 and thinking of spending one night in the Kalahari Tented Camp.

Its our first time...so I'm not familiar with setup there at the camp? In the tented camps do the animals such wild cats have access to the tents? Is it raised above the ground? Is it safe?! Your help is much appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Kalahari Tented Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:59 pm 

Hi Apolll,

been there last April, most beautiful and safe. You just can't walk around the camp at night, the tents however are well protected. Bring a flashlight and plenty of warm cloth as it can get pitch dark at night. During our stay, we had (and heard) Hyenas in the camp but again, no threat even close to the tent. Suggestion, stay even more than one night and tour the area from there. Early mornings particularly exciting.

Hennes

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:18 pm 

Having spent a couple of weeks in the kruger this July we were thinking about Etosha next year, but having seen these links think we will do KTC. A couple of questions thought

1. Is the park a malaria risk in August ??
2. What sort of temperatures could we expect in August ?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:06 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Baz, the Kgalagadi is a wonderful place: wild, beautiful and harsh. You won't see elephant (which you would in Etosha) but IMO a black-maned Kalahari lion is one of the most splendid sights. And the birds are spectacular.

There is a whole thread on Kgalagadi animal sightings to whet your appetite:
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6487

Technically, it is in a malaria area, but I've been there in many seasons over the years, and have never taken anti-malarials, or even heard a mosquito. However, I think that Jannie (the resident guru) will be able to give you a more definitive answer on the dangers in August in particular.

On the temperature front, in my experience the weather in August can be freezing at night (literally below zero, with frost on the ground) and warm in daytime (shorts, T-shirts and sunhats) so you'll need to pack a varied wardrobe. And if you're going on a night drive (which is a must) then you'll need to wrap up with hats, scarves, coats and blankets.

I've stayed in the Kalahari Tented Camp before, and highly recommend it. I've heard great reports about the other wilderness camps, so it'd be worth looking at the threads for those. And most long-time visitors like myself love Nossob.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

KTC is now visible on Google Earth!
Copy and Paste these co-ordinates into 'Fly To' and it will automatically take you there:

25 47 10 S 20 01 04 E

Post subject: Kalahari Tented Camp
Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:01 pm 

Hello,
we are on holiday in KTP beginnig of april and we're staying 4 days in Kalahari Tented Camp.
How is life there at night?There's no electricity but solor.Does it means that there is no light in the tent at night?
Who have some tips what to do or nots beacause this is our first time we are staying in an unfenced camp.
Can we buy food and other stuff in shop MATA MATA or does we bring enough proviand from Uppington?
Was there much rainfall last time?
We're looking forwards and hope to meet you in a few weeks
(still 4 to go ....).
Belgium loves you !!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Another factor may be that the shops don't accept credit cards anymore.

They refer to the ATM in Twee Rivieren and only accept cash payment.

Frank

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:41 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Frank, that is really useful information as while I would plan to carry enough cash for petrol, I'd not plan on having enough cash for other things. Plus IIRC, those little ATMs (at least those in KNP, except for the actual bank at Skukuza) either don't accept overseas cards at all or only give a relatively small amount of cash at one time.

I will certainly hope that KTP shops will start taking CCs again!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I'd like to add my thanks to Frank - I rarely carry cash, so will have to remember to do so when next I visit KTP. Wonder if they accept cheques or traveller's cheques?

Alex, to respond to your post:

Alex Verschueren wrote:
we are on holiday in KTP beginnig of april and we're staying 4 days in Kalahari Tented Camp.

Alex, just a caution: make sure you arrive in the park early enough - TR to Mata-mata is a long drive.

Alex Verschueren wrote:
How is life there at night?There's no electricity but solor.Does it means that there is no light in the tent at night?

The solar cells soak up the sun during the day, and at night there is enough electricity for the lights to work, so no worries there. The showers are hot too, and the fridge and stove are gas. But there are no power points, so you can't recharge your camera etc.

Alex Verschueren wrote:
Who have some tips what to do or nots beacause this is our first time we are staying in an unfenced camp.

Do not wander around at night, and keep your eyes peeled if you walk to the swimming pool during the day. Hyena visit the camp frequently, and we saw a big Cape cobra when were staying there.

Make sure that you zip up your tent before you go to sleep at night.

Alex Verschueren wrote:
Can we buy food and other stuff in shop MATA MATA or does we bring enough proviand from Uppington?

As other forumites have said, the shop at Mata Mata stocks the basics, but I'd advise pop into Pick 'n Pay in Uppington. You won't get much in the way of dairy products, fruit and vegetables in the park shops. There is a very limited range of snacks, drinks, tins and frozen goods.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next