Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kalahari v Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:34 pm 

Hi
Need some help please as first time to KTP. Have just managed to book some camps, took what I could get just to spend a week here in March. So have got 1st night Mata Mata 2nd &3rd night Twee then 4 nights Kalahari camp. Just a bit concerned with having no power for charging batteries but have car chargers . So was wondering if I should take the 2 nights that have come up at Mata and have our last 2nights at Kalahari.
Read all the forums and everyone says how amazing Kalahari camp is so don't want to give it up really.
Would appreciate any comments. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Kalahari v Mata Mata
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:21 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Linda and Welcome!

So long as you have car chargers, you should be fine. Rather than change to more nignts at MM and on the Auob side of the park, I would keep checking to try to get yourself a couple of nights at Nossob so that you can also experience that part of the park. Of course you can drive to Nossob and back while you're at TR, but if you have a couple of nights at Nossob, you'll be able to venture farther north.

Have a great trip!

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Linda, If I can through in my pennie's worth, I will agree with arks to try your best (check everyday) to get a Nossob night or two! (Lion country!)
Kalahari tent camp is great and only three kms away from Mata Mata. If you have to, you can ask the MM office staff or somebody there to charge your batteries! You will also have a small shop with most things you will need at MM. I will, however not drive to Nossob and back in the same day! It can be done, but it is a fairly long 'trek'!
Nossob is real Kalahai, so try your best for at least one night. FMJ

DO NOT FORGET:
Predators at Picnic Sites, Waterholes and Toilets in KTP!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:04 am 

Quote:
Hi Linda, If I can through in my pennie's worth, I will agree with arks to try your best (check everyday) to get a Nossob night or two! (Lion country!)

Totally agree,even posted an OP about it
Got 2 nights at Nossob and 2 nights at Grootkolk that were not on my original reservation.Just got the most recent one at Nossob this morning.Availability just popped up

Be vigilant and never give up hope!!!

2/25-27 Kieliekrankie
2/27-28 Grootkolk
3/1 Nossob
3/2 Twee Riveren
3/4 Mopani
3/5-7 Letaba
3/7-9 Lower Sabie
3/9-12 Biyamiti
3/13 Berg en Dal

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:07 pm 

Big thanks to all. I'm checking morning,noon and night and several times in between so fingers crossed for Nossob. Checked this morning and can get 1 night at Urikaruus but it's our 3rd night at Kalahari and would have to leave there for Urikaruus and then go back to Kalahari for our last night, seems a waste to get linen washed and tent cleaned for one night but Urikaruus seems pretty special. Maybe something else will come up but it's got to be a quick decision. What do you all think, just stay put at Kalahari for 4 nights or move about ?

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:13 pm 

why not you never know
KK might pop up for the other night
2 nights KTC 1 Urikarus 1 KK
would be awesome!

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:21 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
We've done last November 1 night KTC, 1 night Uri and 2 night KK, and that was a trip in a million!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:53 pm 

Thanks for all your help. After a heart stopping moment trying to change accommodation online (never again) and thinking I'd cancelled the wrong night and had ended up with nowhere to sleep for a night in the middle of our week I finally got through to a very helpful lady at Twee Rivieren who swapped one of our nights at Kalahari Camp to Urikarrus.
Not sure what she made of the near hysterical English woman on the other end of the phone saying I've got nowhere to sleep, but it's all sorted now, until the next time when i want to swap for Nossob. If I'm lucky. I'm still checking as much as I can.
How does everyone else manage to change their existing reservations around online? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Linda.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:23 am 

Quote:
How does everyone else manage to change their existing reservations around online? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Linda.

It is a bit nerve wracking as you have to cancel then rebook.It would be nice if you could do it in the same transaction
I thought I had it down after using the online system the past couple of times,but no
I changed a night at KK for Nossob and then waited for the confirmation email. Didn't appear so i went to bed Woke up at 0300 and checked again.Nope
I am in a panic.I gave up a good spot and now I have nothing?? :wall:
What actually happened when I sorted things out in the morning was that nothingwent through-not the cancellation or rebooking
Right at the end after all your accommodations for a particular booking number show up there is a confirm button,which I didn't notice because it was amongst other buttons

Linda- things will open up at Nossob.There are units for the mobility impaired which Sanparks keeps free until about a month before check in.That's how I was able to change as those are open to all then

2/25-27 Kieliekrankie
2/27-28 Grootkolk
3/1 Nossob
3/2 Twee Riveren
3/4 Mopani
3/5-7 Letaba
3/7-9 Lower Sabie
3/9-12 Biyamiti
3/13 Berg en Dal

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:32 am 

Like you I Have often panicked that I had lost bookings whilst using the online system.
Just have confidence and remember nothing changes until you press the Confirm button,and that you can review your changes before confirming.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:54 pm 

Judik that's exactly what happened to me I hadn't pressed the confirm button so hadn't actually cancelled or lost anything, but not a nice feeling thinking you'd lost your place especially after being so lucky to get it in the first place. We only booked a couple of weeks ago for March.
I still don't understand the fact you have to cancel the accommodation you have before you book your new accommodation, if there's only 1 chalet available, what if it goes before you pay for it?

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:00 pm 

Thanks Afriphile.
I don't think I'll be trying to change anything online again, I'd rather ring up, easier on the nerves.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:35 am 

Hi All
Judik you were right something did come up at Nossob and we have 2 nights there now so latest itinerary is. 1st night TR
2nd & 3rd nights Nossob
4th night Mata Mata in riverside chalet
5th & 6th night KTC
7th night Urikaruus
8th night back at KTC but need TR as SAA have cancelled our 1720 flight and put us on 1250 instead, not leaving us a lot of time to get to airport, and leaving us with 12 hours to spend at JNB before our flight home. Just when things were going so well. Great plans and all that.....
So next question is do I leave this as is or have another night at Mata Mata as there is a riverside chalet available for my 5th night or stay put at KTC? Thanks for helping.
Looking forward to lion country, thanks arks and Fotomaljohan.
Also I managed to suss out the changing of bookings so feeling pretty pleased with myself.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:46 am 

Hi nice !
Keep the KTC for 2 nights and just watch for the last night to pop up in 2R and you'll be on time for your flight

You are going to have a fantastic time

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Stay put!