Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: KTP in September/October
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:59 pm 

My wife and I are planning a trip to South Africa later this year and we would like to go on a first-time visit to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. An online search for trip reports led us to: http://www.reddune.info/
Some very informative photo-based stories there of this beautiful area. Reading through the stories already provided us with a few useful tips.
I haven't been on this forum before, so I'll certainly browse though older posts, but in the meantime i'd be grateful on any tips about camps that would be good to stay or interesting routes and spots. Birds is one of our main interests (+ photography), but we thoroughly enjoy wildlife in general.
Thanks in advance
Peter

Post subject: Re: KTP in September/October
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:20 pm 

Warm welcome to the forums, Lowlands :D

I am sure that you will get very useful from our KTP forumites. In the mean time, you could read some of the excellent recent September/October KTP trip reports :
In search of honey badger, porcupine and whistling rats
Exploring KTP In October
PF & DD's Game of patience in KTP

More great TRs here.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:37 pm 

Hi Lowlands,

I've been to KTP once in September and had a great experience, back there again next month for our fourth time. but please be warned if you are thinking of this September/October I would look at booking accommodation now as it will disappear quickly, especially wilderness camps. I believe KTP is the most occupied park in SANParks

Russ

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:09 pm 

Thanks, Matthys, Russ for the replies. I've got some interesting reading to do already! I'll keep the tip about the bookings in mind.
Regards,
Peter

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:04 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2012)
Lowlands,

Here are 2 more trip reports (shameless self-promotion). :tongue:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=66002

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=75181

The first was from 2012, the second from 2013. Both were early September. And yes, accommodation does get booked up quickly. All of the camps are great to stay in - main or wilderness. Book as soon as you can and grab whatever you can get. Once you have a starting point, check daily if there are other camps that become available. We never get what we want on initial booking. It must drive Reservations crazy with all the changes, but by the time it actually rolls around, we've managed to come up with a decent itinerary.

It's a beautiful park and no matter where you stay, you will not be disappointed.
2013 was our 5th visit and we've booked for 2014 :D

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:55 am 

Thanx for the reference to http://www.reddune.info/ . . . and big welcome to the Forum ! I suppose that the origional purpose of the aforementioned link was simply for wouldbe visitors, like yourselves, to acquaint themselves as to what to expect . . . and to build your planning arround such a basis of pictorial facts.

Suppose there will always be 'courses for horses' . . . some of us simply love the slightly confined space of a chalet within a wilderness camp scenario . . . whilest others like ourselves, do prefer the bigger camps where you can move arround the camp more freely . . . to be able to pick up some good conversation/ frienships with other visitors arround a fire at sunset . . . with the availability of the shop, the hide and game drives, as addisional commodities.

Your first time exposure to the KTP will bring a totally new perspective for future visits that is sure to follow in time to come. Be rest assured , that your trip will effectively start the very second that your booking has been confirmed . . . because planning a trip to the Kgalagadi, is as good as being there already !

You must also not disregard the fact that starting your trip from Cape Town is a very good option, with a nice scenic road at least for the first 350 kms . . . . and should you return to Cape Town from the Kgalagadi via Mata Mata . . you will have the wonderfull options of seeing the southern part of Namibia, including the
Quiver Tree Forrest at Keetmanshoop, SeeHeim, the Fish River Canyon and the famous Flowers of Namakwaland during September and October !

. . . with the red sand in my shoes . . I'll always return

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:55 pm 

Thanks, Timbits and Red Dune for you replies and references!
Regards, Peter