Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drone Photography
Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:18 pm 

http://www.sadrones.co.za/viewtopic.php?t=886

There is so much happening, the pace of technology is relentless. 2014 is year of the drones.

Drones are being used for farming research, search & rescue, filming, animal radio telemetry tracking, forest fire prevention and observation, anti-poaching, etc, etc.

It's like the horse and cart guys watching the introduction of cars.

20yrsRanger&Parks visited: KNP(250+visits),MasaaiMara,Amboseli,Samburu,Chobe,Moremi,Savuti,S.Luangwa,Hwange,ManaPools,SkelCoast,Etosha, Mabuasehube,CntrlKalahari,KTP,Khutsi,Hluhluwe/Umf,Mkuzi,Ndumu,Ithala,SabiSands,Addo,Madikwe,Pilanesbrg,Gonarezhou

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:47 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Will we (drone-less individuals) be allowed to use paint-ball guns to do some target practice on the drones?
:hmz: :twisted:

Should they (drones) be allowed, of course...

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:57 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
@Dabchick, I was thinking along similar lines, but with something more effective than paintball.

After all, it must be made legal to retrieve them, and why restrict that to the owner :roll:

If I see one in KTP, where poaching isn't a problem, I could get into trouble.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:30 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Just imagine if you can now follow that porcupine or cheetah that walked over the dune out of your reach to take a good shot.

Seriously its great for the guy that got hold of this new gadget to use in the park and possible to launch form picnic areas without breaking park rule, but how will other visitors feel about it. Many will dislike it and other will join in getting there own resulting in a big problem within the next few years.

Will SANParks update their rules and regulations concerning photography gadgets, include trap cameras that are already used in the park by photographers. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:22 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
When my son flies his quadcopter, the Rottweiller runs away until it is on the ground then she attacks it.

Drones will interfere with animal behaviour and will thus be illegal, never mind invasive on one's viewing.

If I see one on the road I 'won't' see it...... Sorry, I didn't see it. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:34 pm 

I asked this Question on the 6 Jan

PRWIN wrote:
Just came back from the Kgalagadi and would love to hear from Sanparks/KG about there stance on Helicopter Drone photography as it has been reported previously in a TR and also radio controlled vehicle drone photography :big_eyes: :hmz: as they are being used at the moment

Still waiting to hear from KG/Sanparks on there stance for the above :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Here is a link to an article about a beetlecopter featured in Africa Geographic.
http://blog.africageographic.com/africa-geographic-blog/photography/beetlecopter-captures-the-serengeti/

I see the use of these kinds of developments for scientific purposes and for anti-poaching but for photography it is unacceptable. You will invade the personal space of the animals and also degrade the peace and tranquility of the wilderness experience for the other visitors to the park.

However, I have also experienced similar disruptions at sightings I've had in KTP due to professional photographers (with traditional equipment) invading the personal space of animals. They have done this because they have a park issued license that allows them to go off road. So this is nothing new :(

Whilst the parks issue these types of permits to those who pay I can only see that exceptions will be made for drones and other unusual photographic methods.

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:17 pm 

AstroMatt wrote:
Here is a link to an article about a beetlecopter featured in Africa Geographic.]

However, I have also experienced similar disruptions at sightings I've had in KTP due to professional photographers (with traditional equipment) invading the personal space of animals. They have done this because they have a park issued license that allows them to go off road. .

Are you saying SanParks in KTP are allowing certain photographers to drive off road into the river bed to get photo's :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:44 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

PRWIN wrote:
AstroMatt wrote:
Here is a link to an article about a beetlecopter featured in Africa Geographic.]

However, I have also experienced similar disruptions at sightings I've had in KTP due to professional photographers (with traditional equipment) invading the personal space of animals. They have done this because they have a park issued license that allows them to go off road. .

Are you saying SanParks in KTP are allowing certain photographers to drive off road into the river bed to get photo's :big_eyes: :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Some professional photographers for commercial ventures or whatever their reasons may be have applied for and paid for access to areas/times of day that would otherwise be out of bounds to normal tourists. I don't know what permits they have been issued or the specific details/conditions but it is possible.
There is a section for this on the SANParks website.
http://www.sanparks.org/groups/filming/

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

PRWIN wrote:
I asked this Question on the 6 Jan {...} Still waiting to hear from KG/Sanparks on there stance for the above :hmz:

Would be quite good to give an official reply before feelings get too hot about this topic. :thumbs_up:

Mobile Webcam Project: Done!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Astromatt,

Thanks for the link. Even if you have a permit you are restricted to certain conditions. Further on the application form question are asked if you want to go off-road, non-tourist area, after gate times etc. It seems that provision can be made to film without strictly adhering to the conditions of the park. In that case there might be another closure that say you can only do it under supervision of SANParks employees

The conditions for photography in the park as quoted from the application form are:

Quote:
We agree to abide by the conditions set out in the National Environmental Management:
Protected Areas Act 57 of 2003 and regulations made in respect of this Act, as well as any rules and regulations
made by the Park Management. In particular the following shall apply:
• The instruction of SANParks staff shall be complied with.
• No damage shall be permitted to any natural vegetation, environment or property.
• No form of wildlife may be injured, fed or disturbed in any way.
• The SANParks normal activities or business operations are not to be interfered with in any way.
• The use of accepted roadways only shall be permitted. Please ensure that the indicated speed limits are not
exceeded. No off-road driving will be allowed.
• No parking shall be permitted in entrances to access roads. All vehicles parked in the rest camps shall be parked
legally i.e. within demarcated parking bays and shall do not disrupt the use thereof by the general public.
• Strictly no fires, smoke machines or audible generators will be permitted.
• Visitors to the area may not be hindered in any way.
• The areas under the control of SANParks are used entirely at your own risk and SANParks shall not be liable for
any claims, accidents, injuries or loss, etc. arising from such use.
• You are subject to Section 86(1) of the National Environmental Act; Protection Areas Act
(Act 57 of 2003) for the duration of your filming in the National Park.

There is no reference to drone photography on the application form except if you want to film from a helicopter or aeroplane. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:53 pm 

Dear all

The response from the park manager regarding drones in SANParks KTP is this:

Quote:
I am not aware of such, if it has been done, then it was without approval, we do not allow such activities to take place in Kgalagadi.

If you guys can please put all the evidence you have of drones in KTP (SANParks side) - exact date, time and place, with photos and other relevant info, in an email and send it to Lesego (Lesego.Nko@sanparks.org) so she can forward it to the relevant folk to follow up it will be appreciated.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Thanks DB. :clap: :clap:

Nice to know KTP bans it. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:32 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The one I referred to was flying over the Rooiputs campsite on Botswana side. I was camping at #3. I did not report it (now realise I proably could have reported to Botswana officials at TR)

I do not support the use of drones in KTP :sniper: :tongue:

March 2015 KTP

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:34 am 

Morning everyone.

Interesting topic, I also concur with you - totally against the idea of using drones in any natural area (parks, games reserves etc). I managed to track down a video a Mr. Dean Polley shot using a drone above Rooiputs.

Have a look:

Maybe one of you can track him down .............

!Xaus Lodge: A brief story.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next