Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Drone Photography
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:33 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Another issue is the privacy of people in showers and loos that are open to the air.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:23 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

AstroMatt wrote:
I personally don't think this is about fining people or lynching an individual, it is about the concept of using drones in the parks.

What worries me, whether the films show this or not, is that there is a huge potential for drone operators to invade the comfort zone of an animal. Currently, with the existing "traditional" wildlife viewing methods it is the animals choice how close they come to you. If you get too close to a lion in the road then he/she will just move away till they are comfortable again, often this is out of sight, and you lose the sighting. With drones you no longer give the animal this choice. There will be good drone operators who respect the animal, as there are good drivers, but there will also be bad drone operators...as there are bad drivers who drive off road, and here lies the danger. It is easy to asses the damage from a car 10m off road into the river, but how do we asses the damage of a drone flying over resting lions?

Hence appropriate measures need to be put into place for every bodies benefit, both animal and human. What measures these are are for SANParks to decide upon.

AstroMatt that was my thought too if the drone is used for animal photography and not only for a landscape view.

I've seen videos taken by drones that showed minimum disturbance of the animals or even birds, but as soon as the drone move closer to get a better image the picture chase and the animal will flee to safety.

In the one video the photographer steered the drone towards an elephant near a tree and when getting closer you can see a troop of baboon fleeing from the tree in all directions scared like hell. If a predator was close by it could have meant the end of the baboon. It's possible that the photographer was not aware of the baboons in the tree and only saw them when they started fleeing and that is exactly the point why drones can disturb wild life and cause physical harm without the intend of the photographer. The baboons must have had some revenge plan because the next moment the drone crashed in front of the elephant and could not take off again. :twisted:

In Kgalagadi and KNP its difficult to know what's behind the dune and you can easily chase a springbok herd or smaller mammals in panic straight towards the predator out of sight.

I am sure there will be numerous request for drone filming / photography in the future, but just as I need to abide to the rules and cannot hike on my own or take a drive along the maintenance roads, these photographers need to go through the right channels and apply for filming rights if they feel strongly about their hobby. The park will be able to provide assistance if they feel they can approve your application. The general code of conduct for filming can be find in the following link:

http://www.sanparks.org/docs/general/aplication_form.pdf

A quote from the first paragraph can be viewed below:

Quote:
Code of Conduct for Filmmakers/Photographers in National Parks
1. Never cause any physical harm or anxiety to any wild creature.
1.1. Avoid using sound recordings to attract certain species for prolonged periods.
1.2. Accept that the welfare of subjects is more important than the sequence.
1.3. Ensure that filming does not result in the consequential predation or lessened
reproduction success of the species involved.
1.4. Vacate a scene immediately should subjects show signs of abnormal stress.
1.5. Report the inhumane and illegal treatment of wild animals to the relevant authorities
whenever it is encountered.
1.6. In the case of predators, care should be taken not to disrupt its hunting techniques for
prolonged periods so that it becomes impossible for the animal to feed itself adequately.
2. Endeavour to leave the environment as it was found.
2.1. Minimize interference in and the disruption of natural processes as far as possible.
2.2. Cause minimal damage to the habitat.
2.3. Stick to recognised roads and bush tracks wherever possible and not cause
unnecessary vehicle damage to the bush.
2.4. Do not traverse ecological sensitive areas in a vehicle.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:32 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Another issue is the privacy of people in showers and loos that are open to the air.

BB now you know why I studied that Rooiputs video in detail pausing a 100 times. Sjoe luckily no shower and sun tan scene in the video to make me famous on Youtube. :redface: :redface: :redface: :tongue:

I am also sure the guest at the Rooiputs lodge will not appreciate a drone invading their privacy after expecting a pristine wilderness area that you paid for a few hundred US$ per night to stay there. :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:05 pm 
Guru
Guru

Dear 'Mites :)

Apologies for the delayed response in this matter. The use of drones inside(and over) national parks is prohibited, unless these are used for research or official purposes and with the prior written approval of the Park Management.

The use of drones in national parks has to be addressed specifically and the prohibition should be included as an internal rule in terms of section 52 of the Protected Areas Act. (It is not a regulation as only the Minister can make regulations for a national park.)

Technically speaking it may be that a drone is already covered under the Act. In section 1 an aircraft is defined as any type of airborne craft. Section 47 (3) provides that no person shall cause any aircraft to fly over a national park at less than 2 500 ft above the highest level of the park.

The regulations also offer some assistance. One must not intentionally disturb any animal or change the sense of place (reg 4 (1) (c) and (i)). The filming and simultaneous transmitting of photographic images by the use of any image recording or transmitting device is an activity requiring a licence on payment of a fee (reg 20 (1) (a)). The causing of noise likely to disturb game or a person is also prohibited (reg 43 (m)).

We urge guests to abide by the rules of the national parks and report law breakers to the nearest camp or gate.

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:29 pm 

Thanks Lesego

Now what about the drones that are controlled on the ground (e.g. radio controlled cars with camera's in them) :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:06 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Drone photography openly shown on Kgalagadi Sightings FB group today.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:48 am 

Dont understand what the fuss is about they are quite unobtrusive and not noisy. seem to be very common now, the laws just need to catch up. On the flip side how good would these things be at controlling poachers which are decimating wildlife at record rates....lot more effective than current processes in place thats for sure.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:40 am 

wayward wrote:
Dont understand what the fuss is about they are quite unobtrusive and not noisy. seem to be very common now, the laws just need to catch up. On the flip side how good would these things be at controlling poachers which are decimating wildlife at record rates....lot more effective than current processes in place thats for sure.

wayward come again, that thing is very noisy , heard it from about 200m away, If you are in the bush with no other sound I promise that thing makes a racket ,now what about my right under rule 23 where it states that no noise shall cause disturbance to other persons.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:57 am 

depends on the model but the new generation drones with go pros you would not be hearing them from 20m away, no noisier than 4wds.

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:04 am 

wayward it was not the noise from the motor but the noise coming from the blades cutting through the air, No mater what generation they are the blades will still cut through the air making a noise in a very still area like the Kgalagadi

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
That does not address the breaking of the get out rules to launch & retrieve them.

To assist on official anti poaching i totally agree though.

I don't think the national parks are the right places to use them recreationally, although I have to admit that I enjoyed seing some of my favourite places from the air :redface:

How about hot air baloons next?

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:27 pm 

wayward, I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could operate a drone without causing a nuisance or breaking park rules, but the problem is that if SANParks allow them, they allow them for anybody and everybody.

The same people who already cause a nuisance by letting their 4L diesel idle for 20 minutes at a sighting, can now have a drone. Do you think they'd be worried about getting close enough for the sound of the drone to bother the animals? The same people who drive off-road to get closer to the lions, will now have a drone. Any guesses on the likelihood that they won't hover the drone in the lion's face? The same people who get out of their cars to get a better view, can now have a drone. What are the chances that they won't land it in the middle of the veld, and then walk over to retrieve it?

Also (perhaps more selfishly), I really, really don't want to have to clone half a dozen drones out of every photo that I take in a National park :roll:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:34 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Can you imagine some of the sightings in the South of Kruger with all these drones in the air above the lions/leopards. :lol: :lol: :lol: Going to need air traffic control at a sighting.

The flip of the coin is yes they could be used for rhino protection, but then if they are allowed, they could also be used by rhino poaching scouts. Who do you think would be able to afford them first. :hmz: :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Drones being used for the protection of wildlife, rhinos, elephants etc from poachers is a very different debate to this here. These commercial quadcopter drones are relatively short range and are not the type that would be employed. Military type remote operated aircraft would be a great help in the flight against poaching and i would be the first to support it, but not joe public with a quadcopter and gopro.

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

Unread postPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:18 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
is it not possible to have "only" a drive, to stay, nearby, or not, animals and birds in those marvelous parks
why people want always have more...
it's a sanctuary not a place to play...

I agree too, for experimentation, protection etc... seems to be interesting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next