Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kruger Regular Contemplating KTP For The First Time
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:52 pm 

Hi Guys,

Myself and my sister are regular visitors from the UK to SA and in particular Kruger, having made several visits between us over the past few years.
We are planning another trip to SA for sometime during the middle/late part of 2014 and are contemplating a visit to KTP and possibly combining that with Kruger.
We don't really know much about the KTP except that it will be extremely different to KNP so any advise about where to stay, best way of getting there (we would be flying in to Jburg)and anything else you can think of that may help a KTP novice begin planning a trip would be much appreciated.
We are looking at maybe spending 4/5 nights there and then if it's feasible 9/10 nights in Kruger before returning to J'burg to fly home.
Many thanks in advance! :thumbs_up:

Post subject: Re: Kruger Regular Contemplating KTP For The First Time
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:06 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Good choice KirstyL.

The best advice I can think of is to check out the relevant threads and then bring a list of specific questions.

Late next year I will be going there for the 9th time in 14 years. Be careful it is very addictive.

Maybe split your time between KTP & Kruger more evenly, or since you have been to Kruger before do longer in KTP. If you like it there you will LOVE it.

If you are a bit more adventurous, give the unfenced wilderness camps in KTP a go. They are nothing like what you are used to in Kruger.

The big differences are that KTP is more wild, no tar roads, less well stocked shops, a restaurant only at 2R, and there are no water based animals. But there is no bush to interfere with sightings.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:12 pm 

Thanks Bush Baptist,

We are definitely wanting the more 'wild' feeling than what you experience in KNP. As much as we love KNP, we both feel that it does lack that wilderness element. One of our favourite camps in KNP is Tamboti for that reason. We would definitely love to give one of the unfenced camps ago, so shall look in to that.
I'll have a read through the threads and see what info I can find :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
And the trip reports so you can get familiar with what is usually where.

KTP is arid and the 2 main roads follow the 2 subterrainian rivers, and wells were dug at regular intervals for water by the original farmers. This is where you are likely to see the most. There are lots of rodents and snakes, so there are lots of birds of prey.

The main camps all have swimming pools, and the usual night rides and walks are available.

Nossob has a few prides which sport themselves from time to time on the webcam at the hide. KTP is not bettered as a park to see cheetah, and many forumites, myself included have seen them down a springbok.

If I carry on you will be canceling the Kruger bit...........

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:43 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi KirstyL. I hope you have lots of fun planning your trip and even more fun when it actually happens!

I will go even further than BB, and recommend that, for this trip, you forget Kruger and just plan a trip to Kgalagadi (and maybe add a day or two at Augrabies).

You could fly into Upington and hire a vehicle (preferably a 4x4 to enable you to get to one or both the 4x4 only camps - Bitterpan and Gharagab). I would recommend 10-12 days in the park, preferably staying mostly at the Wilderness camps.

You could do your shopping in Upington (the camp shops are not well-stocked) before driving up to the park. In most of the Wilderness camps the tap water is very brackish (horrible salty tasting) and you would need to take your own water - even for brushing your teeth or boiling for hot drinks.

The park is very different to Kruger and has its own special appeal. There are only two main roads, going along the two dry river beds, and two roads across the park linking those two roads. As BB says, there are water holes dotted along the main roads and that is where most of the "action" takes place.

The Augrabies park is also very different - the falls are amazing and the rest of the park has interesting landscape and views of the river canyon. The rest camp has very nice accommodation. You could fit in a couple of nights there before returning to Upington.

As BB says, keep checking the Forum for more information and ask any questions you might have.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:40 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
and it's the most beautiful park... of the world :dance:
so try.... try and you will enjoy :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:53 am 

Definately try and go for at least 6-8 days. For the wilderness camps you must book well in advance.

Go and enjoy. It will not be your last trip to KTP.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:22 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
I am going to suggest something different ..
Fly BA straight to Cape Town (August September ) Then drive slowly up the West Coast and stay a night or two at Abrahamskraal in the WCNP and pop in to see the amazing flowers at Postberg. and admire the colours of the langebaan lagoon Pop in to see the fossil park and then dirve further North and take in the flowers in Namaqualand and then travel via Springbok to Augrabies and spend a minimum of two nights there. and then enter the KTP... and spend a minimum of 5 nights there .
Travel back to Capetown and spend one night somewhere on the way down and take the dirt road just after calvinia and travel the botterkloof and Pakhuispasses .. ( we did it in a sedancar) stay the night in the cederberg area and then back to Capetown and catch your flight back from there. Then you dont have to fight JHB traffic and congested airports etc etc .
Oh and enjoy

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:28 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Lots of good advice from 'mites who know what they are talking about KirstyL! :clap: :clap:

Enjoy your planning, and as Hippotragus has suggested, try and fit in two or three nights at Augrabies! That is another gorgeous experience nowhere else to be found! :dance: :dance:

Please do follow Bush Baptist's advice, and read as much as possible on the Forum about KTP, make notes to yourself as far as you read, and ask your specific questions thereafter. :D

Hugh's suggestion also sounds fantastic! A completely different experience not to be considered lightly! :gflower:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:36 am 

Thank you for all the suggestions, looks like there are lot of options to explore and lots of planning to enjoy! Thanks again :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Kirstyl

You can also check my trip reports. My first visit to the park was in 2010 and last month I had my 14th visit to the park.

http://willemkruger.wordpress.com/tag/kgalagadi-park/

Enjoy.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:58 pm 

Hi KirstyL

I'm also a regular visitor from the UK and I would recommend Hugh's suggestion, its a long drive but you see more of south Africa that you wouldn't normally.
I word of advise - if you intend to go directly to KTP, as we are in February, it will take us 43hrs from leaving home (Essex) to arriving at KTP main gate :shock:
Connecting flights from Joburg are a problem - we land at 09.40 fly out 15.30, arrive upington 17.00 then pick up 4x4, shopping, bed for night (will not make KTP by gate closing time), up and away to park, at gate 12 - 1pm all going well, then 3-5hrs, depending on sightings, to first wilderness camp (KTC).

All that time traveling and I would still prefer to be in KTP than Kruger (or at work as I am at the moment)

Whatever you do, have a great time. and if you make it to KTP then you WILL BE BACK

Russ

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Kruger is again in flood at the moment, with crossings uncrossable.

Floods in Kgalagadi are fun to drive through and splash.

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:22 pm 

Thanks guys,

We have decided on two separate trips; one for Kruger and one for KTP. Best of both worlds :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:37 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

That sounds like a good plan. They are so far apart, that travelling between them would be a mission. Maybe you can do Hugh's suggested trip and include some of the Cape and Northern Cape in the KTP trip.

Good luck with the planning and keep us informed how it is all going.