Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gemsbock Wilderness Trail on October 25
Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:19 pm 

We (a family of 2 adults and a 15 year old son) want to do the Gemsbock Wilderness Trail on October 25, but we are only 1 vehicle, the minimum requirement to book this trail is 2 vehicles. We are looking for people with 1 or more cars to join in order to be able to get the booking confirmed. Please get in touch when you are interested.

Post subject: Re: Gemsbock Wilderness Trail on October 25
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:19 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Leonhard,

Would not mind to join you, but school holiday is from 3 - 13 October. We are also a family of 3 with a 14,5 year old son.

The problem with the Gemsbok trail is that you are not allowed to tow a trailer, which means you will require a rooftop tent to sleep in or sleep in a ground tent. Why don't you book at Rooiputs and Polentswa camps to experience a bit of Botswana and add some dune driving by staying at Gharagab / Bitterpan.

Another option is the guided Nossob 4x4 trail (also no trailers allowed).

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:57 pm 

Thanks a lot for your reply. We have booked the Nossob 4x4 trail for October 20-24, 2014,assuming that another car will join us as otherwise our trail will be cancelled. But it's some time till then so there is hope.

We want to do the Gemsbock 4x4 trail after that, but the Botawana side don't allow such trial bookings, that's why we posted this message. We are from Germany and love Africa and the bush, it is always a bit complicated to book something aside from "normal" from here, and it is also quite rare to find people who share our interests over here.

We always go by a 4x4 with 2 roof-tents and find this quite convenient.

Anyhow, thanks a lot for sharing.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Leonhard,

I am not sure if you have done similar trails before but here is some tips and info for the Nossob trail:

1. The trail runs in two directions, one month from Polentswa to Twee-Rivieren and the other month from Twee-rivieren to Polentswa. You will need this information to make your bookings for the night before and after the trail.

2. You will have to be self-sufficient for a number of days relying on a battery system to keep your fresh food and drinks cold. The distance that you travel per day is not sufficient to charge the battery and by day 3 all your meat will be defrosted. Only take along enough fresh food (meat ) for 3 days. If can get a solar panel from the rental company it will help a lot, but not sure if many add this to the hired vehicle.

If you going to be away from camps without power for more than 3 days and no solar panel, you should considering buying tin food instead of fresh food. As you are aware the shops are not that close to go back for fresh stuff. Twee-rivieren shop does have meat available, but at Nossob for example fresh bread were delivered only after 2 weeks. They say weekly, but this can easily change to every 2nd week.

3. You will be require to take your own water for the trip and a bucket and shower head to shower at night.

4. Same goes for fire wood. You are not allowed to collect in the veld and need to bring along your own supplies.

Hope this info will help to prepare you and you will hear from some-one soon that can join you on the trip. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:35 am 

I'm confused here...what is the "Gemsbock (Gemsbok?) Wilderness Trail"? The Wilderness trail I am familiar with starts at Polentswa and runs through Sesachwe Pan to Kaa, then back through Lang Rambuka to join the main road north of Polentswa - a 2 night trail. Twee Rivieren doesn't come into it. Otherwise the info is as I know it: More than one vehicle, no trailers, own firewood and water etc. Please fill me in..... :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:57 pm 

Hi, I mean the Gemsbok Wilderness trail in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park on the Botswana side. The route you describe is correct, but as per our Information it ends in Nossob. A 2 nights 3 day trip for which we would need a second car to join to be able to make a booking on October 25.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:33 pm 

Hi Leonhard! Thanks, now I know we are talking about the same trail. I have done it several times and never get tired of it, each time is a new experience. Wish I could be the second vehicle to make your quota, but not possible though I'm certain you will find one before long. The trail ends somewhat north of Polentswa and I am sure you will head from there to Nossob for the night. And, man oh man, is that HOT SHOWER going to be welcome!!

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:52 pm 

Hi again Leonhard! Just occurred to me - from Nossob after the Wilderness trail we normally take the Access Road to Mabuasehube, which runs eastwards into Botswana from a Km or two north of Nossob. This is a trail you can do with just one vehicle with one overnight stop at campsites Motopi 1 or Motopi 2 (11km apart) before reaching Mabua. This is also a beautiful wilderness area characterised by large Pans and more trees and vegetation than further west. Some of the campsites have water and/or showers but you will still need to be self-sufficient in everything else. Don't know what your itinerary is, but if this fits in it is very worthwhile. We usually exit via Tsabong, which is your first fuel stop after Nossob. Hope this helps!!