Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Advice on KTP
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:41 pm 

Hello everybody,
I has been a while since I have been active at the Forum - actually not since our last visit to SA in 2010.
In Feb/March 2014 we had a round trip to Egypt booked, but due to the political environment that trip has been cancelled.
Left with 2 weeks vacation, and no travel plans, my husband and I started to think about our favourite distination: SA national parks.

At this point we have no flights, and no accomodation bookings, so it is all open.
We have previously been in Kruger (3 times), and visited Golden Gate and the parks along Garden Route and Cape Town.
Right now we consider if we should go to the well known Kruger again, or if we are "ready" to try the more wild experience in KTP.
Therefore some questions related to KTP.

1) Preliminary Iteniary: 1 x Upington, 1 or 2 x TR, 3 x Nossob or Gharagab (depending on availability), 3 x Mata Mata or KTC, and 2 x Augrabies. (Plus 2 days for flights back and forth from Denmark to SA)

2) One issue is that it is difficult to get booking at Nossob and Gharagab (and Grootkolk seems impossible), so we might end up with bookings like 2xTR, 1x Nossob, 1xGharagab, 1xNossob, 3 x Mata Mata/KTC. I really don't like the moving in and out of a camp, and would prefer 2-3 nights at each camp. So it might be better to wait with a trip to KTP to another year where we can plan well in advance and get the bookings we prefer.

3) I struggle to understand how to get sufficient food supplies. I can read that the shops in Nossob and Mata Mata will have limited products. We will of course shop in Upington, but I find it difficult to understand how to have food for 8 days when temparatures are high, and we have to travel from camp to camp. Can anyone share how you normally stock for such a 8 days trip in KTP - e.g. what type of products?

4) We are not experienced 4x4 drivers (it will be the first time). Are road conditions so that unexperienced 4x4 drivers can manage? Or will it be too risky?

5) And yes, we know it will be very warm - and that is also part of our thinking if we should try to arrage the KTP visit for August 2015 timeframe instead.

Thanks in advance for sharing your view on these topics !

- Lisbeth

Post subject: Re: Advice on KTP
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:04 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Viking and welcome back!! :gflower:

I'll try and answer some of your questions......

1) Preliminary Iteniary: 1 x Upington, 1 or 2 x TR, 3 x Nossob or Gharagab (depending on availability), 3 x Mata Mata or KTC, and 2 x Augrabies. (Plus 2 days for flights back and forth from Denmark to SA) Three night in Gharagab is looooong. There is not much drives you can do so you'll end up driving out on the exit route, driving north on the main road and going back to camp on the entrance route for three days

2) One issue is that it is difficult to get booking at Nossob and Gharagab (and Grootkolk seems impossible), so we might end up with bookings like 2xTR, 1x Nossob, 1xGharagab, 1xNossob, 3 x Mata Mata/KTC. I really don't like the moving in and out of a camp, and would prefer 2-3 nights at each camp. So it might be better to wait with a trip to KTP to another year where we can plan well in advance and get the bookings we prefer. I would much rather pack up and unpack between Nossob and Garagab that spend three days only in Gharagab (beautiful as it maybe!)

3) I struggle to understand how to get sufficient food supplies. I can read that the shops in Nossob and Mata Mata will have limited products. We will of course shop in Upington, but I find it difficult to understand how to have food for 8 days when temparatures are high, and we have to travel from camp to camp. Can anyone share how you normally stock for such a 8 days trip in KTP - e.g. what type of products? We vacuum all our meat and freeze those. Then wrap in newspaper before packing into cooler box. We put the cooler box in front of the backseats and cover it with a blanket to keep the sun off. Or you could ask when renting the vehicle whether the rent out camp fridge freezers. This is very nice to have in February!!

4) We are not experienced 4x4 drivers (it will be the first time). Are road conditions so that unexperienced 4x4 drivers can manage? Or will it be too risky? Roads are really not a problem for first time 4x4 drivers. Just deflate your tyres before you enter the game park area.

5) And yes, we know it will be very warm - and that is also part of our thinking if we should try to arrage the KTP visit for August 2015 timeframe instead. Any time is a good time in KTP. Do keep in mind that during August we have strong winds.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:52 pm 

Viking

8 days is not really a problem. I met people 2 weeks ago who spent 2-3 months in KTP and don't have a fridge/freezer in the car.

Given you are coming from abroad you are probably renting a car in Jo'burg or in Upington. As Lion Queen suggests, rent one with a fridge/freezer and make sure it is a 4x4 if you plan to go to Gharagab and/or Bitterpan.

I just did 11 days and managed to carry all food In a 52 litre fridge with a small freezer. The shops have quite a lot of basic supplies and you can comfortably live off what they sell.

Don't be dismayed if you don't immediately get the bookings you need. Just boom what you get and religiously look everyday on-line for what opens up and you will be surprised at the availability opening up in the last 30-45 days.

Remember even all the wilderness camps have a fridge with a freezer so just make sure you take everything from the car Coller (assuming you don't have a car fridge) into the room each night and put it in the fridge and/or freezer and you will be fine.

I have done many a trip in Africa and have to say nothing beats KTP. Do it and you will be back!

Cheers

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:34 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
welcome to the forum Viking... for 3rd post :D

I stayed several time 3-4-5 weeks in the park, with a fridge/freezer and it's doable... and even more... marvelous :dance:

have a look here

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:41 pm 

On my first trip to KTP last Feb for 2 weeks I worried about the food and really didn't need to.I rented a 4x4 in Upington with a fridge/freezer and got a cooler box thrown in for free
Put my order at the pick and pay for my meat etc and picked up the order vacuum packed and frozen.Most of the food stayed frozen or at least very cold the whole trip despite moving through many camps and having the electricity go off at night
I will admit my diet was low on fresh fruit and veggies and when I ran out of bread stared hopefully at the store in Nossob waiting for the supply truck to drive in :pray:

2/25-27 Kieliekrankie
2/27-28 Grootkolk
3/1 Nossob
3/2 Twee Riveren
3/4 Mopani
3/5-7 Letaba
3/7-9 Lower Sabie
3/9-12 Biyamiti
3/13 Berg en Dal

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:17 pm 

Thank you all for kind advices - we will think for 3-4 more days and then go ahead with booking. There is a 99% chance it will be KTP, and I will check with car rental company on the option of a combined fridge/freezer in the rental car.

@judik - I can see we will be in KTP the same days, as we will arrive in Upington February 23rd.
We will remember a yellow ribbon.

- Lisbeth

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:56 am 

Lisbeth-hope we pass each other!
I was so lucky to get Grootkolk and Gharagab on my first visit
My only regret is that I cancelled one of my two days at Gharagab because of concerns about the road(challenging but definitely not as bad as I was anticipating)and the thought of being in a camp where I couldn't do game drives because of the one way road
Well,the place is magical.I could have sat on my deck looking at the view and the waterhole for a week.
Hope you get lucky

2/25-27 Kieliekrankie
2/27-28 Grootkolk
3/1 Nossob
3/2 Twee Riveren
3/4 Mopani
3/5-7 Letaba
3/7-9 Lower Sabie
3/9-12 Biyamiti
3/13 Berg en Dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:59 pm 

Follow-up question ......
I checked car rentals with the car rental company I normally use (one of the big international companies). They can only provide a 4x2 Kia, which will not be sufficient.

I realize I need a car rental company which specialize in 4x4 and where I can get the fridge as well.

I checked the forum, and can see that advice on can rental companies are not to be shared at the forum.

Will somebody who are familiar with 4x4 rentals in Upington be kind and send me a pm with suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

- Lisbeth

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:55 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome back Viking.

If you are not going to Bitterpan, the only camp you will need 4x4 for is Gargahab.

If you don't go there you can easily get away with a 4x2 high clearance vehicle.

Be prepared to be blown away and be ready to return......

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:36 pm 

Lisbeth, I will message you with the company I am using.
It is a real 4x4 that has a fridge and my contact will include the cooler with the car
He came highly recommended by lion queen(apparently everybody knows everybody in Upington!)
What really surprised me is that the price was only a tiny bit more than renting a full sized SUV from your basic international car company

2/25-27 Kieliekrankie
2/27-28 Grootkolk
3/1 Nossob
3/2 Twee Riveren
3/4 Mopani
3/5-7 Letaba
3/7-9 Lower Sabie
3/9-12 Biyamiti
3/13 Berg en Dal