Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cycle Tour September 2013
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I am not sure if it is just a matter of updating the visitors info but after paid my final deposit tonight for my KTP trip I've received an email with a PDF file containing info about the Cycle Tour. Is it then still going ahead? :?

Quote:
The KGALAGADI DESERT CLASSIC CYCLE TOUR will be held from 21 September 2013 until 23 September 2013 and as a result will implement the following changes during this period within the Park:
 The road from Twee Rivieren up the Auob river roads will be closed from gate opening until 06h30 – 11h30 on 22 September 2013. Tourists wishing to traverse to Mata Mata can make use of the bottom dune road via Kij Kij.
 The bottom dune road linking the Nossob and Auob river roads will be closed from gate opening until 06h30 – 11h30 on 22 September 2013. Tourists wishing to travel from Kieliekrankie north can do so by using the Auob riverbed road and the top dune road to Nossob via Kamqua.
 The road from Kij Kij to Samevloeing junction will be closed from gate opening 06h30 – 11h30 on 23 September 2013. Tourists wishing to travel north into the park may do so by using the Auob river bed road to Mata Mata and via the lower dune road to Nossob.

Post subject: Re: Cycle Tour September 2013
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:30 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unfortunately yes, moved from Nossob river (UE - GK) to south!

March 2015 KTP

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:23 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

From the 4th August 2013

SANParks Moderator wrote:
Dear Troupant1

Thank you for your feedback and views on this topic.

The KTP cycle challenge was cancelled a number of months ago and this topic has been dormant for five months; it will now be locked.

Please see here for the contact details to report the bad behaviour you witnessed. Please submit photos, time, and as much info as you can so the park can follow up on the law breakers. (If not already done.)

:thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:46 pm 

The last official word by SANParks posted on 11 March 2013:

Gabrielle wrote:
South African National Parks (SANParks) has cancelled the Kgalagadi Desert Cycle Tour which was scheduled to take place in September this year.

The tour was first moved from the north of Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park to the south, but after the new proposed route was chosen, interest in the event was lower than anticipated and the decision was made to possibly relocate the tour to Augrabies Falls National Park.

The Desert Cycle Tour is an activity that fits into the Augrabies Falls National Park Management plan and carries the full support of management. By relocating the Tour, participants can also expect significantly longer legs of the tour than what was planned for Kgalagadi. We are currently awaiting confirmation of the various routes from Park management and will keep you updated.

For more information please contact:
Gabrielle "Gabby" Venter
Acting Regional Communications Manager: Arid Region.
012 426 5170/5065
Gabrielle.venter@sanparks.org

link

We will ask Lesego to confirm that the position has not changed, but I really doubt it has, and the email you received must be from a gremlin in the system SG.

We will lock this topic until we have a reply from Lesego to post here.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:17 pm 
Guru
Guru

Son godin wrote:
I am not sure if it is just a matter of updating the visitors info but after paid my final deposit tonight for my KTP trip I've received an email with a PDF file containing info about the Cycle Tour. Is it then still going ahead? :?

Quote:
The KGALAGADI DESERT CLASSIC CYCLE TOUR will be held from 21 September 2013 until 23 September 2013 and as a result will implement the following changes during this period within the Park:
 The road from Twee Rivieren up the Auob river roads will be closed from gate opening until 06h30 – 11h30 on 22 September 2013. Tourists wishing to traverse to Mata Mata can make use of the bottom dune road via Kij Kij.
 The bottom dune road linking the Nossob and Auob river roads will be closed from gate opening until 06h30 – 11h30 on 22 September 2013. Tourists wishing to travel from Kieliekrankie north can do so by using the Auob riverbed road and the top dune road to Nossob via Kamqua.
 The road from Kij Kij to Samevloeing junction will be closed from gate opening 06h30 – 11h30 on 23 September 2013. Tourists wishing to travel north into the park may do so by using the Auob river bed road to Mata Mata and via the lower dune road to Nossob.

Hi Son Goddin;

There is no cycle challenge happening in Kgalagadi. It must be an automated system reply that needs to be taken off the system. Was this message sent by Reservations?

Tel: (012) 426 5202

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:48 pm 

SG, please PM Les with the info she has asked for.

We will lock this topic and merge it to the topic in Forum Indaba in a few days.

A roaring lion does not catch any prey - African Proverb

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]