Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: New rookie to forums and visit to KTP
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:23 pm 

Hi Willembos,
Regarding to shop prices - do you have a camping freezer? If you have, stock up with all your meat in Upington. Also take loads of bottled water ( 5 ltr bottles), your booze and braai charcoal. You can't take your own wood in, and the Park's wood is very expensive so you can use their wood sparingly if you've got charcoal.
Heed this advice - you'll save a fortune.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:35 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

shfish wrote:
You can't take your own wood in, and the Park's wood is very expensive so you can use their wood sparingly if you've got charcoal.

You can take in you own wood, as long as it is in a plastic bag or tied together with wire (wood bundles).

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:57 pm 

How much braai charcoal is needed per night to cook a few steaks? I'm making a list to preorder at PnP and I have two 4kg bags of charcoal so far. Probably will braai 6 to 8 nights.

Post subject: Re: 1st Time KTP in December with a 1 year old child. Yes!
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:43 pm 

Thank you all for these tips and I am glad I have joined this community. :)

We will go for Augrabies after that and I assume it will be less of a challenge. I regret not to have the possibility to spend time in Nossob (no accommodation left) but we will be better prepared for next time!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:23 am 

Hi Nancy

A 4kg bag should last you for 2 braais.

Thanx once again to all. We started packing and can't wait to get on the road. Yellow ribbon and all.

One last question. Are there braais available or should I take my own.

have a happy day

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

You can buy charcoal and firewood in the park, so I wouldn't lose sleep over that.
To give you an idea, we used 1 bag of firewood and most of a bag of charcoal over about 5/6 braais in the park (we didn't braai every night of our 8 nights for various reasons). When I do potatoes on the braai I use wood (and charcoal).

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Post subject: Kgalagadi May 2014
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:23 pm 

Hello forumites

As the Kgalagadi quickly fills up , we took the plunge and booked for May 2014. I have been to the Kgalagadi as a young boy about 25 years ago. My wife has never been to the park and we are very exited. It will be me, my wife and 2 year old boy. We wiil spend our first night at Twee-rivieren, then 2 nights at the Tented camp, 2 nights at Nossob and a night at mata-Mata.

Any word of advice will be welcome to the above itenirary, as we are also thinking of visiting Augrabies seeing that we are in the "area". We will be travelling about 1500km to reach the Kgalagadi.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi May 2014
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:16 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Hello Kallie 404
Mata and Nossop are quite far apart but the upper dune road connecting the two is in excellent condition
The tented camp is only 3kms from mata mata .so maybe Twee rivien then Nossop and then the other two . travelling there takes a long time even though the distances look small
Anyway Have a great time

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi May 2014
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi kallie404

My only advice will be to stay a bit longer at each camp and I agree with Hugh's suggestion.

What about the following plan:

Augrabies
Twee rivieren (1 night)
Nossob (3 nights) (distance from TR to Nossob is 161 km)
KTC (3 nights) (distance from Nossob is 161 km)
Exit Mata-Mata / TR to Cape Town (add visit to Ai-Ais)

You will basically safe the ones day's travel between Mata-Mata and Twee riveren and total between camps and exit gate will be 440 km instead of 558 km if you do not want to exit at Mata-Mata, but use TR as entry and exit gate.

You will be required to have valid passports for your family including 2 year old son if you want to exit at Mata-Mata. Also remember that passports can only be stamped at TR .

In terms of accommodation I found that the family units at KTC are very nice to stay in with kids, but no electricity to charge cameras, cellphones etc. The area around the unit is very small, but should be fine for a 2 year old and safe to move around as long as all the gates are kept closed. The camp is unfenced and you might get wild animals like hyaenas getting very close to your tent.

I am not sure where you will be booking at Nossob, but most units are fine for a family of 3.

Remember to bring drinking water along. During my first visit 15 years back the water was fine to drink.
You will get water in the shops, but its always good to pack as much as possible just in case they ran out of stock.

Medicine against fever and cold for the little one is also important. They turn sick quite quickly and Nossob is very far from the nearest doctor. My son was 3 years old during his first visit, in June 2002. We camped along the Orange river at Pella and found it bitterly cold. Any extreme weather is possible, therefore ensure you pack warm jackets and extra blankets for the little one. During the day it will be very sunny, but again you can get cloudy weather and a cold front at that time.

Even although you need to remember to pack a lot of stuff, I am sure this will be the first of many for your family. Good luck with all the planning.

Post subject: Re: Polentswa or Rooiputs?
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm 

Thanks for the advice, we had a fantastic time at both Polentswa and Rooiputs, although Polentswa won the contest hands down as the best camp! It may have been the leopard and her cub we spent over an hour with, and the three lion at the waterhole the next morning thats makes us biased, but what a great experience.

Update on the new Botswana lodges: the one at Polentswa is very far in the distance, and has been constructed to blend in with the ridge, so during the day you can see it if you look for it, and at night, if you stand at a certain spot, looking to the side of the bush in front of you, you may catch a glimpse of a light on the horizon. It really did not spoil the surroundings for us.

The Rooiputs lodge is very much visible form the road, but once again blends in with the surroundings. I think from Rooiputs campsite, it is visible from 5 and 6 (they look up at it) but from 1-4, you are aware of it but it doesn't bother one too much.

At Tweeriverien reception we met the manager for the Rooiputs Lodge and he invited us on a tour as they were quiet. It is a stunning lodge, and I think it is what the park needs. There are only 9 or 10 units, so maximum another 20 people in the park. When I first heard they had a restuarant and bar, I immediately thought music and noise, but remember it is an exclusive lodge, and I highly doubt there will be any parties there which will disturb the peace for the rooiputs campers. I hope not.

Has anyone else seen them?

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi booking advice sought
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:22 pm 

Sigmund wrote:
Hi Luikat, are you from ZA?
If yes,there is nothing complicated in doing your own bookings.
Even if you are not a ZA resident, the procedure would be simple.
Phone 021 552 0008 and speak to Trudie or any one that answers and make your booking. Simple as that.

Just realised that some of your bookings fall on the Botswana side. Polentswa, Matopi, Mabua....For these you would have to phone Botswana reservations in Gaberone on 00 267 397 1405. The Botswana ringtones could be mistaken for an engaged or out of order tone but don't hang up they will answer eventually.

Trudie can only do bookings on the ZA side.
I have just last week finalised my bookings for Kgalagadi, both ZA and Botswana sides for June/July 2014 by using the numbers above. Good luck.

Hi am a bit confused I thought you had to call sanparks main number to make all bookings 0027124289111. I am booking Kgalagadi and Kruger for September 2014 on 1 October, telephoning from Uk. Is it better to phone 'Trudi' as I need to make sure I get the camps in Kgalagadi I want so will be up at the crack of dawn. Would appreciate clarification on this. also can anyone tell me if , when I ring at 7.30am SA time, I will likely be kept on hold?do sanparks have lots of operators answering on those busy days? Want to get myself well prepared so it all works out well. thanks Pen

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi booking advice sought
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:10 pm 

Hey Pen,

You can phone Trudie or the other number. Not sure though how early the call centre opens, but that other number may be better for very early or very late due to it being a call centre.

Trudie works at a SANParks office, but is really friendly and it is a pleasure dealing with her.

Having said that, my dad made a booking for our trip in October 2013 on the call centre number, and also got great service.

G

KTP: 19-26 May 2014

Post subject: Re: Bitten and want another bite
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:51 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A silly question but I must ask it. In my plannings, I am wanting to spend some time at two of the Wilderness camps viz. Grootkolk and Urikaruus. I see that they are unfenced. So what does this mean? When it starts getting dark do you go inside and close up everything and stay there until morning and then look outside to see if the coast is clear and then go outside? Seems that there are some pretty big things that wander around at night.

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:41 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
no, no... you can stay in the small perimetre of the chalet/bungalow, at Grootkolk the tiny terrace, in search of.....
at Urikaruus there is a foot-bridge/balcony between all the units and you can also stay on your own small balcony (which is not on the floor)
all the night if you... can :wink:
and that is :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:23 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

No Fences at all.

Grootkolk each Cabin has it's own little enclosure.............But we even try not to wander to the fence at night. It's only about a meter high and I'm to scared something might just be lucky enough to jump over it.

Urikarus is build on stilts. And there is a boardwalk as Anne-Marie mentioned connecting the Cabins.

Your braai is on a little balcony overlooking the Waterhole.

Sort of safe, but I've always wondered how many times a leopard has checked out those trees........ :hmz:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 547 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 37  Next