Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bitten and want another bite
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:09 pm 

This is true Moobox - the side embankments can be high. Basically, SANparks allows too many vehicles to use these roads so they get graded and graded and graded until they are eventually below ground level. But unless you have a super high vehicle you will be affected to some degree so don't worry about it.
There are more than enough "open" roads and waterholes etc, for you to be quite comfortable in your NP200.

Post subject: New rookie to forums and visit to KTP
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:08 pm 

Hi to all

I have spent some time reading the interesting news and advice on the Arid Parks forums. Thanks to all for the help.

We are booked in for camping in a weeks time. The first four nights in Nossob and then 4 nights at 2R. On our way we will sleep in Upington before entering the park. Afterwards we have 1 night at Augrabies and then 3 nights at Mokala. We are really excited about the trip.

I would appreciate any advice for a first timer about routes and what to expect.

Some questions:

1. What is currently the best route to Upington.
2. I have heard about the high prices of the shops - (I can understand it - must be a logistical nightmare and high cost to get stuff there.) Are the basics like bottled water, cold drinks, milk, bread and beer available. Any fresh produce? I am taking along some water, cold drinks and milk but one can only take so much.

Have a happy day!!!!

Post subject: Re: New rookie to forums and visit to KTP
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:13 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello there and welcome to the forum.
We leave for KTP on Monday so might just cross paths somewhere .
I suggest you pop into the shops in Upington and buy the fresh stuff we are going to do that . the shop has a fair stock so you wont go hungry but its like the corner café .. a little more expensive .
We are travelling from CT which is a pretty direct route but from which direction are you arriving .
Travel safely and don't forget to tie a yellow ribbon to your rt side mirror so that other mites will stop and say hello I have a nice yellow cozy you cant miss us .

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2012)
Welcome to the forums Willembos!

We will also be in KTP in a weeks' time, so we might meet each other on the road, or at a sighting. We're spending 3 nights at Mokala before we enter the park.

As Hugh said, fly your yellow ribbon and check out the "When will I see yellow ribbons in SANParks (excluding Kruger)" thread in Meets and Greets so that you can post when and where you'll be.

Only 3 and a half more sleeps before we leave :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:04 am 

Hi

Thanks for all the replies. I will get my yellow ribbon.

Apologies - I did not mention that we are travelling from Johannesburg.

The cameras are ready. (mik en druk) Armed with bird and animal books. Lots of binoculars to help spot all the animals.

If you see a group of 7 people - eldest 85 and the youngest 2 years old - that's us.

I will report back asap.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:28 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Willembos and welcome to the forum........ :gflower:

We went to Kruger last month, but we drove from Vryburg to Mafikeng and then all the way N4. There is quite a few road works between Vryburg and Olifantshoek.

All basics should be available in the shops. We have had visits where there was no bread.......take a packet of selfraising flour or two with, then you could make some roosterkoeke. Please remember that no Alcohol is sold in the Northern Cape on Sundays, so should you require beer or wine you have to buy this on Saturday!!!

Enjoy your stay and please share your trip report with us........ :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:09 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We were there in mid-July. The N14 all the way from Jo'burg to Upington was pretty good, nice and quiet. There are some stop n goes along the way, but wasn't too bad.

I wouldn't rely too much on the shops stocking fresh stuff.

You must go on a night drive at Augrabies, they've been seeing ridiculous stuff there lately (aardwolf,
aardvark, striped polecat etc, we were lucky enough to see an aardwolf).

One suggestion, consider an extra night in Augrabies if you can, there's lots to see there (the drives and scenery are spectacular), and you might miss out if you're there for one night only.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:25 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum Willembos.

A few words of warning first. Start saving. This will be the first trip of many.

Nossob is my fave camp. It has the charm of remoteness. The shop has basics, but check the opening hours.

Wear shoes at night and watch where you walk, a head light each is not a bad idea - no need for panic, just be on the lookout for scorpions - you might not see any.

Go to the hide at night, you might be lucky and the local pride might come to drink. Brown hyena too.

Be watchful, the young boys in the pride, often seen around Rooikop waterhole, like to play with tyres.

Take your bird book, KTP is raptor heaven.

The 2R area has been 'hot' for a while now, and the area from Samevloeiing to Rooiputs is leopard country.

Those of your party who qualify should go on a morning walk from 2R. It is a wonderful experience.

For more info, ask, or go through the many KTP trip reports and make notes.

Likw Arnie, you WILL be back. :wink:

Post subject: 1st Time KTP in December with a 1 year old child. Yes!
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:01 pm 

Hello,

We will come from Upington to spend 3 nights in Twee Rivieren (only available) in end of December.
My wife and I and our baby of 1 year. Now that we booked our flight and accommodation, we want to make it happen in this beautiful park.

Could you please help for these vital questions?
1 - Can we do it with our baby during the hot day? I assume there is no possibility to leave her for a baby sitting at Twee Rivieren camp.
2 - Can we still have some pleasure with the weather or do you actually ride all the time with aircon? Is there things we should think of to avoid displeasure?
3 - Do we need a 4x4 at that period of the year or SUV 4x2 is fine?
Thanks for your valuable insight!

Pat

Last edited by patlepirate on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 1st Time KTP in December with a 1 year old child. Yes!
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:28 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi patlepirate and a warm welcome to the forum.......... :gflower:

December is hot but you'll survive. Try going out early morning to return to camp by 11H00 and then go out on a late afternoon drive when it has cooled down a bit. If you do go for a swim try and avoid being in the direct sun during the hot midday period.

The aircon will help especially with the little one. Try having a midday nap with her. What we do is buy some sweet grapes and put these in the freezer. We eat them frozen, it;s like small lollipops. Wet a towel and put that on the bed before you lay down for your nap.

You do not really need a 4X4 a SUV 4X2 will be fine.

Enjoy your stay and I do hope you'll have a wonderful time......... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:11 am 

Thank you all for the replies and the support to make it happen nicely!
Since I am not expert desert driver, I was a bit concerned about the 4x2 vs 4x4 but if you all think it is sufficient I will rent the cheaper 4x2.

Thanks for the tips with grapes, will remember it! If you have additional advice, I am welcome also to reassure my wife :)

How long does it take from Twee Rivieren to Augrabies NP

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:31 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
patlepirate wrote:

How long does it take from Twee Rivieren to Augrabies NP

Twee Riviere to Upington = 2 and half hours drive

Upington to Augrabies = 1 and half hours drive (this includes a stop at the farm stalls to purchase some fresh fruit)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:43 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Just remember to deflate your tires to 1.4 or less, and you'll be fine.

I'm sure a lot more helpful mites will be along soon to give some stunning advice........... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi patlepirate

We will be travelling to KTP at the end of Nov with a 1yr 2month old. She has already been to KTP when she was 8 months, but that was in winter. We have travelled with a little guy who was just over 1 year of age at the time and what was a good idea was that mom took a blow-up bath with so when we stopped at a picnic site, if it was hot, she put some water that she brought with in the bath and the little guy splashed away merrily....while we all watched with the sweat pouring down our faces!!! She also took a small bucket and spade....which he played with in the sand at the camps. They kept their drives to the early morning and late afternoon-for the coolest part of the day, and just for a few hours at a time.

What we did was put down the back seats of our SUV so that the back became one big play area, and piled all our little ones toys in there. We put a few extra pillows in to put against the sides of the car as the roads are very bumpy and little ones on unsteady legs leads to lots of falling over! Remember lots of block out sunscreen and a hat!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:18 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jo wrote:
Hi patlepirate

We will be travelling to KTP at the end of Nov with a 1yr 2month old. She has already been to KTP when she was 8 months, but that was in winter. We have travelled with a little guy who was just over 1 year of age at the time and what was a good idea was that mom took a blow-up bath with so when we stopped at a picnic site, if it was hot, she put some water that she brought with in the bath and the little guy splashed away merrily....while we all watched with the sweat pouring down our faces!!! She also took a small bucket and spade....which he played with in the sand at the camps. They kept their drives to the early morning and late afternoon-for the coolest part of the day, and just for a few hours at a time.

Hi patlepirate,

I was thinking of the same tip Jo gave about the baby bath and water to play in. We will be in KTP in Dec again and plan to avoid the road from 10 am to 4 pm and try to stay in the shade in camp. TR is great for summer, because of the aircon available in the chalets and nice pool to cool down.

Another tip is to get a spray bottle filled with water (you can get one with a fan as well at outdoor shops) to cool down. It helps for 2 minutes and then you spray again.

In Dec you might be lucky to get a few thunderstorm so be prepare for rain and wet roads.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 37  Next