Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 37  Next
 Post subject: Re: KTP itinerary for comment please
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:16 pm 

My suggestion would be 1nt TR, 2nts Nossob, 2nts Grootkolk, 3nts Urikaruus.
In that order.
You could also go directly from TR to Grootkolk and then come down to Nossob.

Urikaruus or for that matter Kieliekrankie gives you more options for game drives than KTC.
This would give you a good overview of KTP and also put your first and last nights within easy reach of a days travel of Kimberley.

Post subject: Re: KTP itinerary for comment please
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:52 pm 

Hi Hugh - great suggestion on Mokala, I think we will stay there on the way up and Augrabies on the way back. I wish we had time to do that route back through the Karoo and the Wild Coast 8)

LQ - nice to have some personla insight, sometimes its hard to get a feel for a journey from maps and distance charts. We drive quite slow looking for birds and all the small stuff too so I think TR for the first night is the answer.
I am thinking September might the month to choose - it's popular for a reason I guess :D

Hi enrico - that's not a bad route at all. Maybe the very last night in TR to lessen the drive a bit.
I see your point about the variety of drives from KTC vs Urik, the reason I went for KTC was the general impression I got from people that it was preferable. But I am sure all camps have their advocates.

The choices the choices..... :doh:

Post subject: Bitten and want another bite
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:38 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hello all
So, recently got the KNP fever. What I mean is that I just cant get there quick enough. Spending time there every couple months for the past year or so. But scratching around on SANParks site, it struck me there's more bites to be had. And a bite that interests me is that of KTP. So, I'm looking at an end-of-Winter/Spring trip. See, I dont see that the wife is gonna be so crazy to go in Summer when it's 40+ degs or in the Winter when it is how cold?

Now, tell me good people, if you think this is a reasonable plan. I live in Ekhurleni and so I reckon that it may as well be a good few days. I'm thinking 7 or so. So, I'll make my way to Upington. Probably take about two days to get there and take in the sights on the way. Then from there up to Twee Rivieren and spend a night there. Then off to Nossob and sleep there. Then Grootkolk and sleep a night there. Back to Nossob and I think sleep there again because it might be a bit hectic going straight to Mata Mata. And then to Mata Mata and sleep there. And then down to Twee Rivieren for the last night before heading back home.

But wait! There's more! I hear about a place called Hotazel. And I must tell you that just the name of the place make me think I must go there at least once in my life.

Cheers - Ed

Post subject: Re: Bitten and want another bite
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:36 pm 

hi moobox
warm welcome to the forum :)
my suggestion would be 1 night Twee R, 2 nights Nossob, 2 nights Grootkolk, and then 2 nights Mata mata (bit of a loooong day trek to get there) amd then back to Twee R for the last nite
let us know what you decide and happy planning :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:06 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks for the advice Hugh and tigger. Ja, I've been thinking to slow the thing down a bit and stay over a bit at each camp. But then I think I'd rather look at extending the stay a few nights becasue I would like to get an overall of the Park.

I didnt mention that I dont have 4X4. So, it'll be in a normal car or maybe my little NP200. Something I have been considering is renting a 4X4. I see that on SANParks site there is mention of collecting hired cars at Twee Rivieren. Can anyone shed some light on the process? I also read somewhere about renting a 4X4 at Upington. But that pretty much means I've got to arrive and leave via Upington.

Tigger - I think it is going to be a while before my mind is made up on the exact itinerary. And then to persuade the wife that we will be spending about two weeks in a desert next Winter. Working on that already.

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:50 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

welcome to the forum moobox :D
what a superb idead you got... going to Kgalagadi :dance:

like tiggercat said, 2 nights at Nossob... but one before the two at Grootkolk and one after seems to be better... and so not too long way to Mata Mata
you can try also Urikaruus, it's a jewel, like Grootkolk :clap:

No need a 4x4, but a car a little bit higher (in tall) would be nice :wink:
you can't collect car at Twee Rivieren... "only" at Upington
don't say to the wife it's a desert... :hmz: it's semi-desert with a lot of trees, grass and also sand :lol: and so easy to find and watch animals and birds :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:07 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Hi Moobox and a warm welcome to the forum.......... :gflower:

Kgalagadi is an absolute jewel... :dance: :dance:

The suggestion from tiggercat is perfect. :thumbs_up: August/September is a lovely time to spend in the Semi Dessert. August do have some days that can be windy, but day temperatures are very nice.

A car or small bakkie is perfect. The roads do get corrugated and that is one of the reasons people like to hire a 4X4. If you want to know more, please drop me a pm and I'll send you contact numbers for 4X4 hire places in Upington.

Enjoy the rest of your planning.......... :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:34 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

We've just come back from our first KTP trip.
You can do JHB-Twee Rivieren in a day if you can drive for 12 hours.
I'd spend less time driving around.
We did 1 night TR, 4 nights Nossob, 2 nights MM, 1 night TR. I'd spend at least 2 nights in Nossob and MM. Didn't go as far north as Grootkolk, so I can't comment. Next time I will, just to see Union's End. The distances in KTP are large, they say eg 3.5 hours from TR to Nossob, but that's if you stick to the speed limit (almost impossible with state of the road) and don't stop for animals. I figure 6-7 hours a more realistic time to get between the main camps.

You cannot miss Augrabies Falls NP. Its about 4-5 hours from TR, and definitely worth the experience. An amazingly beautiful park.

We were there mid-winter. It wasn't too cold, certainly not what we were expecting, but it was apparently a very warm winter, and not at all typical.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Isnt that just typical? You ask for some advice and they add a week to your itinerary!

So, I'm adding two nights for Mokala and two nights for Augrabies. Anywhere else you folks think I should be going?

Nah, just kidding people. I really appreciate all the input and welcomes here. Seems reasonable that while I am down that side I should take in as much as possible. But there are some things that I must do. I must try and go through my mother's place of birth (Danielskuil). I have never been there.

As far as hopping from camp to camp too much, I heed the advice and will reevaluate my plan. I want to go Grootkolk though because I feel I want to take look at Union's End. I'm not a historian of any sort but get great sense of awe when at historical spots and occasions. So any input from that aspect for the area will also be appreciated.

So, now I am in two minds about the 4X4 thing. I am sure that it will be a heck of an added expense and I'd hate to get there to discover that I didnt need it so much anyway.

Cheers - Ed

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Lots of great advice you're getting here, moobox! :thumbs_up:

Let me add my little bit as well.... In terms of the mrs - does she enjoy KNP? Because if she has been enjoying your KNP visits over the years, you can almost guarantee her she'll enjoy KTP. Just like Hilda, we go to KNP often, but have been (for a 8 night trip) to KTP once before. It was great. Don't expect Kruger in any way. It is very different, but great in its own right. Amazing sightings of cats, with few cars around, and in late winter - no bushes obscuring your view. And lots of animals you don't see in KNP - nice difference.

When we went, we also stayed at least 2 nights at a camp, and it gives you enough time to experience the camp, as well as get a good overview of the park. On our previous trip we flew in to Upington and hired a Daihatsu Terios (was the cheapest 4x4 option). It worked out great. During our stay there, we regularly bumped in to a couple from Caledon, who travelled throughout the park in their Camry - and they seemed quite happy. Guess it all depends... We will be braving the possibility of 40'C in December - when we will be visiting KTP for our 2nd time. This time we have our own 4x4 (Honda CR-V), will see how that goes... One cares much less about that hired car than your own! :tongue:

13-18 June 2015 - Lower Sabie
19-23 June 2015 - Satara
24-28 June 2015 - Letaba

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

OK thanks a lot folks. So, I've been doing the missionary work with my wife and it's sort of going OK. I suggested that I want to buy a 4X4 and things started going bad so I stopped it there. Now, I'm wondering what the best time of the year would be. I am thinking probably about September for temperature. Also the bush should be pretty skraal (thin). Then again, it would be wonderful to see a bit of a rainstorm by some small chance if I went in the summer. I think I can cope with the heat but when I hear people talking about -7 temperatures I think that is crazy. I will surely die or want to die.

Cheers - Ed

Post subject: Kgalagadi booking advice sought
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:43 pm 

Hi all, I'm a new member to the Forum. My husband and I and our "old" friends are planning a visit to the Kgalagadi in Sept 2014 and would like advice about whether we should try and do the bookings ourselves or whether to appoint an "agent" to handle the bookings for us. We would appreciate any advice/suggestions/pointers in this regard. The planned itinerary is as follows (in chronological order) from 6 Sept: Twee Rivieren (2 nights), Urikaruus (1 night), Mata Mata (2 nights), Bitterpan (2 nights), Nossob (1 night), Polentswa trail (3 nights), Grootkolk (2 nights), Nossob (2 nights), Matopi 1 or 2 (1 night), Mabuesehube (3 nights). Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi booking advice sought
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:39 pm 

Hi Luikat, are you from ZA?
If yes,there is nothing complicated in doing your own bookings.
Even if you are not a ZA resident, the procedure would be simple.
Phone 021 552 0008 and speak to Trudie or any one that answers and make your booking. Simple as that.

Just realised that some of your bookings fall on the Botswana side. Polentswa, Matopi, Mabua....For these you would have to phone Botswana reservations in Gaberone on 00 267 397 1405. The Botswana ringtones could be mistaken for an engaged or out of order tone but don't hang up they will answer eventually.

Trudie can only do bookings on the ZA side.
I have just last week finalised my bookings for Kgalagadi, both ZA and Botswana sides for June/July 2014 by using the numbers above. Good luck.

Last edited by Sigmund on Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Luikat wrote:
The planned itinerary is as follows (in chronological order) from 6 Sept: Twee Rivieren (2 nights), Urikaruus (1 night), Mata Mata (2 nights), Bitterpan (2 nights), Nossob (1 night), Polentswa trail (3 nights), Grootkolk (2 nights), Nossob (2 nights), Matopi 1 or 2 (1 night), Mabuesehube (3 nights).

Hi Luikat,

You might have one problem with you itinerary...........the Mata Mata ..........Bitterpan.......Nossob will be problematic.

You can only reach Bitterpan from the Nossob side (one way) and driving from Mata Mata to Nossob and then to Bitterpan will just not be possible in the day hours you have. The next day you could exit via the escape route and then back to Nossob.

Enjoy your visit ............. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:28 pm 

Thanks all for your input and advice. Much appreciated and helpful.
We'll relook our itinerary.
My concern was that sometimes they say they're fully booked when, in fact, they are not (it's happened!) and that's why I thought it might be better for an agent to book on our behalf.
Will give feedback once bookings made.
:thumbs_up:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 37  Next