Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: KTP itinerary for comment please
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 am 

Morning everyone (and especially to the KTP experts :D )

Before I book for next year's trip to the KTP (I have softened the SO up with 2 Kruger trips) I would like some advice on my timings and camps please.

We are driving from Durban, so I am planning on staying around Kimberly on the way up and back.
Augrabies will be left for another trip - or maybe on the way back - still to be decided.

We will have 8 nights in the park.
We dont want to move camp too often but also want to see as much of the park as possible as I suspect it will be a long time before we come back.

1. We are thinking a mix of main camps and bush camps - Nossob and GK are definite. KTC high up too.

2. From Kimberly (or a bit closer to the park) how far can one realistically reach that day ? Thinking in terms of Urik or KTC here.

3. Our overnight stops will be be KTC (2) - GK (2) - Nossob (2 or 3) - TR (2 or 1)

4. Planning on going July (after school holidays), but wondering if Aug or Sept will be better in terms of being slightly warmer (us Durbanites are softies) and some migrant birds might have started to arrive. Does it get windy in Aug / Sept ?

I would appreciate any help on the matter....
Have a great day everyone !

Post subject: Re: KTP itinerary for comment please
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:34 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Hello Scops I am far from the KTP expert Only been there twice . next visit is in 4 weeks
BUT from Durbs I suggest stay at the Mokala National Park . its about 42 kms from Kimberly and is a real Gem .and two nights there would be the best .the accommodation is excellent and the staff very very pleasant .
I would stay the first night in KTP at TR .. gives you time to relax and organise everything for the next day .. the camps are far apart and you cant rush .Maybe stay the last night at Kieliekranke its close to TR and you can easily get to Augrabies from there . Augrabies would also be great How about travelling via CT on the way back and doodle along the garden route .. If you travel August September the flowers along the West coast will all be in bloom .. plenty of Sanparks places to stay en route .
So travel from Durbs via golden gate and bloem and Mokala and back to Durbs along the N2 That would make it a very scenic holiday
Have fun planning

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:39 am 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Hi Scops, I'll try and give some of the answers, I'm sure the rest will be here soon with some excellent advise....... :thumbs_up:

Scops wrote:
Morning everyone (and especially to the KTP experts :D )

We are driving from Durban, so I am planning on staying around Kimberly on the way up and back.
Augrabies will be left for another trip - or maybe on the way back - still to be decided.

Hugh gave a great option - Mokala is a stunning park

We will have 8 nights in the park.
We dont want to move camp too often but also want to see as much of the park as possible as I suspect it will be a long time before we come back.

1. We are thinking a mix of main camps and bush camps - Nossob and GK are definite. KTC high up too.

2. From Kimberly (or a bit closer to the park) how far can one realistically reach that day ? Thinking in terms of Urik or KTC here.

From Upington to the park is 2.5 hours drive, then booking in and driving to Uri another 2.5 hours, from Uri to KTC is at the very least another hour. Kimberley to Upington is a 4 hour drive, BUT that road has a lot of roadworks. I would rather spend first night at TR.

3. Our overnight stops will be be KTC (2) - GK (2) - Nossob (2 or 3) - TR (2 or 1)

Gate hours for August will give you 11.5 hours in the park. KTC to Grootkolk is 270 km. At 30 km/h that's 9 hours drive. Then at least 2 stops at the picnicsites and a stop at Nossob filling up etc would easily be another 2 hours. This leaves you with very little time to stop at any sightings never mind a stunning sighting. Try and split the Nossob stay over to one before Grootkolk and then 2 after Grootkolk

4. Planning on going July (after school holidays), but wondering if Aug or Sept will be better in terms of being slightly warmer (us Durbanites are softies) and some migrant birds might have started to arrive. Does it get windy in Aug / Sept ?

July is cold and actually we do get a few cold days in August too. It does get windy in August, September might be your best bet, but then you'll have to be quick on the reservations once it opens, September is a very popular month.

I would appreciate any help on the matter....
Have a great day everyone !

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:16 pm 

My suggestion would be 1nt TR, 2nts Nossob, 2nts Grootkolk, 3nts Urikaruus.
In that order.
You could also go directly from TR to Grootkolk and then come down to Nossob.

Urikaruus or for that matter Kieliekrankie gives you more options for game drives than KTC.
This would give you a good overview of KTP and also put your first and last nights within easy reach of a days travel of Kimberley.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:52 pm 

Hi Hugh - great suggestion on Mokala, I think we will stay there on the way up and Augrabies on the way back. I wish we had time to do that route back through the Karoo and the Wild Coast 8)

LQ - nice to have some personla insight, sometimes its hard to get a feel for a journey from maps and distance charts. We drive quite slow looking for birds and all the small stuff too so I think TR for the first night is the answer.
I am thinking September might the month to choose - it's popular for a reason I guess :D

Hi enrico - that's not a bad route at all. Maybe the very last night in TR to lessen the drive a bit.
I see your point about the variety of drives from KTC vs Urik, the reason I went for KTC was the general impression I got from people that it was preferable. But I am sure all camps have their advocates.

The choices the choices..... :doh: