Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another (very excited) KTP firsttimer(s)
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:08 pm 

Hi all,

We are very busy planning our next trip to South Africa, March next year. My first visit was February this year and I'm still feeling somesick. We (that's me and my aunt) visited Marakele, Mapungubwe and Kruger. We absolutely loved the unfenced camps in Marakele and Mapungubwe. We started preparing for our next trip the day after we came home :mrgreen:

I started reading this forum (found so much information and fantastic pictures) and got really excited about KTP, we both did. So, here's our intinarary:

27 March: Twee Rivieren (= day 9: we start off at Marakele (we have to, it's magical), then Pilanesberg, overnight stay 1 near Vryburg and overnight stay 2 in Spitskop)
28: TR ยป KTC
29: KTC
30: KTC to Nossob
31: Nossob eco trail (not sure yet, waiting for Jan Kriel to get back to us on that, he's out on the trail right now, really really hope so)
1: trail
2: trail
3: trail ends to TR
4: Kieliekrankie (booked)
5: Grootkolk (booked)
6: Nossob (but trying to get reservation at Polentswa Botswana side)
7: TR
8: to Spitskop overnight stay
9: overnight stay haven't decided yet
10: Joho, back home, followed by chronic homesickness :shock:

We will be driving a Toyota Hilux double cab with 2 rooftents (apart from the wilderness camps in KTP we will be camping). We are not very experienced in 4x4 driving but we will make sure we are when we get there. We have a lot of dunes here (Netherlands), training starts in two weeks. We want to be prepared, no use in renting a 4x4 when you don't know how to drive it.

We like to take it slow, we don't want to cover too much km in a day. We take the time to stop and enjoy whatever is there. Game, birds, flowers, views and even dung. Have you ever taken a close look at a fresh pile of elephant of rhino dung? Fascinating, an abundance of life in and up there, beetles, butterflies etc.
Stocking up on water, fuel, food, wood etc. isn't a problem, we know when and where (also thanks to the information on this forum!).

What I would like to know:

- there is a map of Kgalagadi on the Sanparks website. Does this map show all of the roads, trails, in the park?
- offcourse I would like to know what you think about our itinarary
- Suppose the Nossob 4x4 trail isn't an option, what do you think we should we do? What about the Bitterpan or Gharagab 4x4 trails, how do they compare to the eco trail?

Kind regards,
Katja

Post subject: Re: Another (very excited) KTP firsttimer(s)
Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:51 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
:yaya: Katja. It is great that you have enjoyed the more Northern Parks during your previous visit :D . I am sure some who is familiar with Kgalagadi will respond to your questions. Enjoy the planning for your next trip to SA in March 2014 8)

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:32 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum Katja.

In the unlikely event of the Nossob trail not working out, staying in Nossob would be a great alternative.

You could do a day trip to Union's End, also visit Marie se Draai, which I have found to be on of the 'hottest' areas of the park. The Nossob pride is usually around the camp somewhere.

And the hide can be brilliant.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:31 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2013)
Katja, I wish you a wonderful trip 8) I hope that we see a lot more of you in future.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:11 pm 

Leaving TR for Kieliekrankie, consider driving the Leeudril 4x4 route, it takes you across the dunes from the Nossob river side to the Auob river side.

This is an unguided trail, you book & pay at TR reception, but very easy to drive with no real challenges but beautiful surroundings as well as some game.

Blackie.