Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: First Time Kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:53 pm 

Hi all

We travel to KNP every year and decided to try Kgalagadi this year.
So I have a few questions I hope the regulars can help me with, so here goes.

1. Travel from Vereeniging to 2Rivieren. Is it wise to sleep over in Upington and do the final 200km or so the next morning?

2. Is the picnic spots the same as KNP or is it just a spot, and you have to take your own gas braai etc?

3. Should you take your meat, milk etc from home, or is it available in the shops?

4. The 4x4 only roads. Are they all pre booking only or can you drive them whenever. If you need to book, what is the prices for them.

5. Do you have cellphone/internet reception in the camps?

6. Can you recharge your cellphone at your accomodtion.

7. I notice no electricity between certain hours of the night. Does this mean no electricity at all, or will your accommodation still have lights, and power for the fridge etc.

We will be staying in Kalahari Tented Camp, Nossob and 2 Rivieren for 3 nights each, and we are really looking forward to it. We will be going beginning of Dec, so we expect some very hot days.

Anything else that you might think is worth knowing of beforehand will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Post subject: Re: First Time Kgalagadi
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:59 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Jaco, let me start by saying Kgalagadi rocks :thumbs_up:

I will try to answer some of your question. Tweerivieren, electicity and cell pnone signal 24 hrs, Nossob electicity (generator) early morning until late at night, Kalahari TC no electricity. Both N & KTC gas for fridge / freezer or geyser. Picnic spots very basic no gasbraais as in Kruger. Do have braai to make fire and basic toilet facilities.

I have an inverter for charging batteries phone etc but you would be able to do so in all your camps except KTC. Inverter not expensive and good investment

Shops are basic so take everything although 2R shop better than others, rather approach shops as emergency. Take own drinking water as that in park tastes bad (can buy at shops, pricy)

4x4 route open for everyone ( prebook on the day) is only from Leeudril to 2R Mata Mata road, other you have to have reservation in the bushcamp to use 4x4 access road.

I live in Pretoria and leave early morning (3:00) and will be there at 15:00 some rest in between. Take numerous stop and go into consideration ( might loose quite some time here)

Enjoy your stay, yes it will be warm but a dry heat and worth it!

Kgalagadi rocks (yes I know I have said so) :tongue:

March 2015 KTP

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi JakoVenter

Just to answer some of your questions:

1. I am from Bloemfontein, so I cannot really answer your question but we usually drive via Kimberley, Griekwastad and Groblershoop. However, there are also a few stop-and-go on that road.

2. No, the picnic spots are not the same. Much smaller with just toilets and seating facilities (about 5-8 per picnic spot. But like somebody mentioned on a different blog - you may the only one using the facilities at a certain time. There are also the usual SANPARK braai facilities (wood/charcoal type - the same that you will find in any camp). You need to take your own gas braai though.

3. Yes, it is better to take your own stuff but their are small shops in Nossob & Mata Mata but some times they do run out of stock.

4. All the 4x4 roads must be pre-booked with the related stay-over in the wilderness camp (Bitterpan & Garagab). You cannot just use the roads as a day-trip. The only 4x4 road that you can use as a day trip is the Leeudril 4x4. You can book a trip at the reception at Twee Riverien gate (about R185.00).

5. Only at Twee Rivieren and if your are lucky at Kieliekrankie. Just a few kilometers outside Twee Rivieren, you will lose your cellphone signal. Hippie!!!

6. Yes except for Kalahari tented camp -they do use 12v power/electricity for the lights and gas for the water, cooking and fridge. You won't be able to charge anything. However, Mata Mata is just 3km away. I do use my convertor in my Fortuner to charge my laptop and camera batteries. KTC is one of my favorite camps in the park with lots of sightings up to the 13th bore-hole.

7. Yes, in Mata Mata and Nossob you won't have any electricity for a certain period of the night. Please take a torch or three with you. It is quite dark in the middle of the night.

I hope it helps you - after my first visit to Kgalagadi in 2010, I was hooked (visited the park about 10 already after that). I would love to hear your opinion after you've returned form the park.

You can have a look at my trip reports on the Kgalagadi on my blog or elsewhere on this website.

Enjoy!!!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:25 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
and more, picnic spots are unfenced... so have a very "wild" open eye :lol:

no signal... that is a plus... only concentrate with the park :thumbs_up:

enjoy... enjoy your first time in the Kgalagadi :dance: :dance: :dance:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
You are in for a real treat jakoventer.

Kgalagadi is like Kruger, but not like Kruger - a wild place but more wild. You won't have the crowds and you can see far, so you should have no trouble with 50 car trafffic jams at a cat sighting.

1&3. Upington is about 250 km from Kgalagadi and has the decent city shops you would expect, to be able to stock up.
2. Picnic spots have no facilities, except weekly serviced toilets. If you are very lucky, you could find the 'king' lying under the picnic table when you get there, or the dappled one in the shade of the loo. I still await this thrill. You need to take everything, except there is a tap and basin inside the loo building, which has 'lion-proof' sliding weighted doors that sometimes don't work. Just be alert.
4-7.TO & WK have answered fully.

Take as much water as you can. The local (KTP) water is brackish and tastes gross. You could fill containers in Upington.

Just be careful not to get the Kalahari sand in your shoes, or you will have no power over it. It will draw you back. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:48 pm 

Hi Jakoventer.

Two more things that I have found useful over the years.

A spare roll of loo paper in the car.
The toilets at the picnic sites are only serviced once a week as per BB.

I take a small gas braai along not a skottel,it has a round cast iron plate that is flat on one side and ribbed on the other.
Works a treat for bacon&eggs at the picnic sites.
Also great for a quick steak for the time when you only get back to camp as the gate closes and you are too tired and hungry to wait for the wood to burn to coals.

That said,take lots of wood.
Nothing beats the Kalahari starry nights,a wood fire,good company and a glass or two of your favourite beverage.
Enjoy your trip. :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:06 pm 

Hi

Thanks guys and Gals

We are really excited to visit Kgalagadi.

I am sure all the advise will put us in good for the trip.

Just one more thing, the diesel available, is it 50ppm or only 500.

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:00 pm 

Hi Jako,

We are about 2 hours east from you and most of the time do the trip in one go leaving very early at 3-4 am and still get to the park by 4 - 5 pm.

Our route takes us through Potchefstroom, Klerksdorp, Delareyville, Vryburg, Kuruman, Olifantshoek, Upington etc.

I thought about trying the road pass Sasolburg to Parys and then Potchefstroom, but haven't done it yet. This will most likely be the best route to follow for you unless you know of a better route to Potch e.g. the R54.

The time of the year you go will also influence your decision to stop over at Askham or Upington. Summer time the gates close much later and it is even be possible to reach camps beyond Twee rivieren, but we normally stop at Twee rivieren and do not add an extra distance to other camps in our travel.

Diesel is only available in 500 ppm. :thumbs_up:

When do you plan to go on your first trip to KTP?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:18 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi there PRWIN,

Just a correction on your previous post. There is now only 50ppm available at the fuel stations in the park and not the 500ppm.

KG

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:39 pm 

Hi KG,

Thanks for the correction. :thumbs_up: Now I just need to remember to put more money in the fuel kitty. :whistle:

What is the current price of diesel at Twee Rivieren?

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:13 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@jakoventer: when are you going to the park?

I'd like to get to all the way from Jo'burg to TR in one day, but not sure if we'll make it the whole way, will probably book accommodation in Upington (and possibly cancel it if we get there early enough).

Mods, there are at least 2 of these beginner threads, perhaps a merge is in order?

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:42 pm 

Hi

We will be going beginning of Dec.

Not to sure about the roads at night, so will rather look to sleep over.

Our first nights will be in KTC so cannot get to the gate to late.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:05 pm 

Hi Jako,

The gate closes at 7:30 pm, which will give you plenty of time, but add an hour to your normal time to cover the same distance.

I will PM you some alternatives in case you are late. We will be leaving on 30 Nov and so far did not plan any stop over and did not booked at Twee Rivieren yet. Our first booking is at Rooiputs on 1 Dec.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:39 pm 

Hi

I have looked at a route from Vereeniging to Upington. Any suggestions?

Our route will be Potchefstroom - Klerksdorp - Delareyville - Vryburg - Kuruman - Olifantshoek - Upington.

Or will the Potch Ventersdorp Coligny route be better?

Thanks

Leaving on the 5th. One week to go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:45 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

jakoventer,

Not sure about the best, but I am taking the Klerksdork - Delareyville option on Saturday. :thumbs_up: Returning home I will drive though Vereeniging to avoid the e-toll route. :wall: :wall: :wall:

May see you in Nossob then. :wink: