Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi First timer...need lots of advice.
Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:10 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
Bush Baptist wrote:
Just shoo it away, :twisted: although there is a jackal that often sits in the shade at Dikbaardskolk and minds his own business.
and make nice smiling :shock: if we try to ask gentily to go away :lol:

welcome to the forum katanga :D

enjoy, enjoy your travel katanga and Josh of the Bushveld :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:09 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hehe thanks for the tips guys :-)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:14 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
In winter 50L should be more than enough. We fill most of our containers in Upington.
Do you think most accommodation establishments in Upington would be ok with that?

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:19 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
How would they know? :roll:

We fill up the containers at the garage when we fill up with fuel.

If not, pop in to Lion Queen for a quick visit. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:03 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Bush Baptist wrote:
How would they know? :roll:

We fill up the containers at the garage when we fill up with fuel.

If not, pop in to Lion Queen for a quick visit. :wink:

Why not........ :thumbs_up: :D

Glad the days of having to stroll down to the river to fetch water is long gone!!!

I'm pretty sure no one would mind if you fill your containers with water. Or you could buy water from some of the water bottle stores. The one near my office charge R1 per liter, when you refill your bottles.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:43 am 

wooo....thanks everyone for the advice. :D :D

Really appreciate all the feedback. I don't look at the responses for 3 days and bham loads more replies. Much appreciated.

So going in Nov, is it best that I just buy one of those big 50-60litre tanks and put it in the car filled with water ?

How does one book the night drives and the morning walks ? Do you do this well in advance or you can only do it when you get there ?

Also, I am new to South Africa so more precise details on exact route to take from Jo'burg would be really appreciated. I have read that you can go the tar road to Upington from Kuruman or the dirt road. I think I am going to swing by Upington. However, which is the best way from Jo'burg to Upington? I have google mapped but would appreciate advice from the experts here.

I only booked last week and I can't stop thinking about this trip or stop talking about it.

The closest I came to Kgalagadi was reading in National Georgraphic and watching the TV channel and I always said one day I am going to go there. Little did I know that I would be living in South Africa when I used to dream of this place when I used to live in Japan and HK.

Please keep the advice coming!

cheers :thumbs_up: :tongue:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Morning katanga - I can see we are going to have another KTP fanatic on our hands here :thumbs_up:

Living in Cape Town I cant let you know about the roads from Joburg but I know you will get lots of great advice.

You can book both the drives and the walks at the recetion of the different camps when you arrive - they need a minimum of 2 people to go out but the drives in summer are quite popular so that shouldnt be a problem. A better idea is to send Kgalagadi Guru a PM or drop him an email and he will book your activities for you so they are all sorted before you arrive .... Try and do both a sunset and a night drive if you possibly can - they are both great in summer. The sunset leaves an hour before the gates close which is at 19.30 in Nov so you leave camp at 18.30 and have a good hour to an hour and a half of light still so its the best of both worlds :D

Nov is going to be HOT so take extra water with you as you will need more than you think .. we found a 20 l to be better than those huge containers that can be hard to handle ... one of the bottled water brands ( cant think which one right now sorry) comes in a cardboard 5 l box with a tap - these are fantastic - easy to use and no messing and they pack better in the car because of their shape - but whatever works for you is fine ...You can also take out the inner silver bag from the box and stick it in your fridge or freezer to keep it really cold ... You will be surprised at how much cold stuf you need to drink :D

You will obviously have a cooler box with you so take some 500ml - 750ml water bottles ( the PUMP ones are nice as they have a nice top) and freeze them overnight in the freezer in your chalet - ice water fro the next day and it will keep any other drinks in your coolerbox nice and cold :thumbs_up:

Also, when you are at Twee Rivieren - do yourselves a huge favour and try the Takeaways - just to the right of the Resturant ( which is also amazing now by the way ) and behind the shop to the left ... Fantastic burgers and vetkoek at crazy prices .. If you are hungry the vetkoek are a must - its basically a bread dough made into a big thick patty and fried and filled with a mild curry mince or they do an incredible Kalahari Vetkoek which has a burger patty, fried egg, cheese .. you name it in .. sounds weird but its amazing so you have to try it !! Their toasted sandwiches are great too .. Open between 10 and 5 pm every day ..

If theres ANYTHING you want to know just ask ok - we are here to help and try and make your trip as special as possible :D

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:30 am 

Thanks Scouter. Appreciate e help. Just sent KG an e-mail asking s few questions including booking the activities.

If you find the brand of the water bottles you are talking pls let me know. Or do you mean those round 5l ones? Indeed I do have a car fridge/freezer which has been waiting for a trip like this.

Good tip on the sunset drive. I was only inking of doing the night drive and an early morning drive.

This trip has excited me even more than a trip I did 4years ago to Tibet and Mount Everest base camp.

I lucked out on this one with my wife agreeing to go so I need to make sure it is smooth and fun else this will be my last trip like this one :popcorn:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:53 am 

Quote:
I lucked out on this one with my wife agreeing to go so I need to make sure it is smooth and fun else this will be my last trip like this one

HA! be careful what you wish for I have met parties of women/wifes who left the husband at home

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:01 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi katanga

Only a pleasure - glad you sent KG an email - that will ensure you get what you want :thumbs_up:

Will look for the water and let you know .. Have only seen it at Pick n Pay but its with the other 5L waters that are in round plastic jugs only this is a 5 l cardboard box with a silver bag inner and a tap at the bottom that you punch out the cardboard to get to - just like the 5l Liquifruit boxes :tongue:

You will have an amazing time Im sure !

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:55 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
Scouter wrote:
Hi katanga

Only a pleasure - glad you sent KG an email - that will ensure you get what you want :thumbs_up:

Will look for the water and let you know .. Have only seen it at Pick n Pay but its with the other 5L waters that are in round plastic jugs only this is a 5 l cardboard box with a silver bag inner and a tap at the bottom that you punch out the cardboard to get to - just like the 5l Liquifruit boxes :tongue:

You mean wine boxes don't you!! :lol:

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Katanga

Just returned from KTP via kimberley - horrid stop/goes between Upington and Kimberley...added bout 1,5 hours to travel time. Not sure when the road works will be finished so that route not good option at moment

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:53 pm 

Thanks Jo....will avoid Kimberley then. Probably will take the N14 unless anyone suggests otherwise ?

Looking at Google maps going from Sandton means I will take:

-M1 south,
-then N1 south,
-N12 joining..
-N14 to Kuruman

Anyone have other suggestions ?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:53 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I'll be going via the N 14 on our trip mid July.
From sandton it might be easier to go on The R 511 (William Nicol ) then onto the N 14

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:58 pm 

Thanks Josh. Will check that out.