Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Booking Wilderness Camps from UK
Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:10 pm 

:clap: thanks so much that's just the info I needed. Really made it clear what I have to do.

Just one thing, we were talking last night about doing the Botswana and Namibia part first working our way around in an anti clockwise direction. We would end the 5 week trip at KTP entering at Mata Mata. Could you suggest the best way to drive the park entering at MM and leaving from TR? That way it will be warming up a bit by the time we arrive. We are driving a 4x4 camping equipped Land Rover hired out of Jberg. Cheers Pen

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:31 am 

Hi Pen,
entering MM is the other way around
you can start with MM camping or chalets or drive to Kalahari Tented Camp it is just 4 km upon Auob Riverbed from MM - dune road to Nossob camping or chalets - Grootkolk - Gharagab - Nossob - Bitterpan - Urikaruus - KK
We never ever forget the other Arid park being so close on our way back to the Cape: Aurgabies, after all that sand it is a treat to be at the falls

Success with the planning!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:57 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

What time in the morning should one start ringing? We are in the same position as Penolva.
If I chose to send an email request instead on the 1st of the month (we are booking in June for May 2014) then are our chances for wilderness camps very slim?

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:11 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi guys

We are in the same position as you and have found that phoning is the best way to get the camps you want. We tried emailing once and ended up not getting the camps we had hoped for so ...... bite the bullet and get up early on the 1st (or 1st Monday) of the month and get in the queue. We were in KTP in September last year and it took 15 minutes in the queue but we got the camps we wanted. We have booked up for Feb next year and my call was answered in about 2 minutes, again we got the camps we wanted.

Remember that Daylight Saving will change the time difference. In summer SA is 2 hours ahead of the UK and in winter they are only 1 hour. The booking office phones are open at 7:30 am SA time so it is not too bad : wake up, roll out of bed, book your camps - what a way to start your day!!! Phoning at that time of the morning is also cheaper :D We have also found that if you are on the phone and your ideal accomodation is not available for whatever reason you can at least chat to the reservations staff and book an alternative - instead of trying to do it by email ... very frustration let me tell you :roll:

I know that sometimes availability changes in the last month as people's plans change and they don't/can't make the booking but don't rely on it as with the wilderness camps this is very few and far between. Once someone has a wilderness booking they try to keep it come hell or high water :lol:

Trip Reports:
The stuff of daydreams ... - Kruger
Kalahari Dreamin' - KTP
Just What the Doctor Ordered - West Coast, Augrabies, KTP

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:15 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks icurrie! I will phone - for us 7.30am SA time is mid afternoon in South Australia so just have to get the timing right and hope for the best!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:20 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Set an alarm/reminder, cross your fingers and have alternatives ready!! GOOD LUCK!!! and if you have never been before - Enjoy!!! If you can try to book a longish stay at the wilderness camps - it's great to to pack and unpack all the time and you can get some R&R in while watching the waterhole and birds. We were entertained by a pair of yellowbilled hornbills for about 2 hours in Urikaruus one afternoon as they launched themselves, splat, against the bedroom windows repeatedly. Sometimes it is just not the big stuff :lol:

Trip Reports:
The stuff of daydreams ... - Kruger
Kalahari Dreamin' - KTP
Just What the Doctor Ordered - West Coast, Augrabies, KTP

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:45 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

A reminder is a good idea. :wink: It will indeed be our first trip to KTP. We will have about 19 days in the park so planning on 3 or 4 nights at a few of the wilderness camps. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:23 pm 

Hi all and the great info just keeps coming on this forum :dance:

We will be entering from Namibia and wonder if its possible to drive from Mata Mata and do the following itinerary. Bear in mind we will already have our Namibia visas and will have entered South Africa via Jberg a few weeks previously. I am trying to figure it out so that we don't spend any time in the bigger camps. So assuming we will be at the MM gate when they open first thing can we do?

MM to Bitterpan 2 nights, Grootkolk 2 nights, Gharageb 2 nights,, Urikaruus 1 night and Kieliekrankie 2 nights exit at Twee R.

What I am not sure is the logistics of driving between the camps without a night at Nossob etc. We will have all our gear, water etc with us when we enter MM.

If there is another route than the one above thats better please tell me and also if I have got it completly wrong :naughty:

I am going to have to change our dates for KTP to October 2014 as can't phone for September 2014 as will be camping in Botswana on 1 August this year :hmz: Will the SA school holidays be over by first week in October?

Thanks again Pen

Post subject: Augrabies or Mokala
Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:43 pm 

In november i will go to KTP for two weeks and my trip will end in Pilanesberg for the last 4 days.
In between i have 3 days and i am doubting wich place i want to go.
I have been in both places two years ago, Augrabies in August and Mokala in april.
My main goal is to photograph birds and butterflies. But wich place is better in november?

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:03 pm 

Hi penolva,

The school holidays will be in October from 3 - 12 October, but I doubt that will influence your bookings at Wilderness camps so much because none of the unit are for families and no children under 12 years allowed.

When entering South Africa again you will be required to go through the normal passport and visa requirements and get your passport stamped at Twee rivieren when exiting the park. It is not necessary to do it on the same day of entry from Namibia.

My suggestions for your trip to KTP is as follows:

First Urikaruus for 1 / 2 nights (border post closes at 16:00 SA time )
Grootkolk 2 nights
Gharagab 2 nights (fuel can be a problem but Nossob not to far to refuel)
Bitterpan 1 night (enter at Nossob camp; road from Gharagab only for guided 4x4)
Urikaruus 1/2 nights
Kieliekrankie 1/2 nights.

I would also suggest to do KTP first, then Namibia and last Botswana to minimize problem with meat and other restricted produce when entering South Africa from Namibia.

Post subject: Need help with planning a trip
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:17 pm 

Hi all,
we have been reqular visitors to Kruger and are due to go there at the end of May again. Although next year I was keen on doing KTP just the experience the different habitiats and a new park and also some new previously unseen species.
We would like to do a max 15-16 day trip including travelling back and forth from the UK.
I would like help deciding the best time to visit the park in terms of weather and game vieweing. Anytime from feb untill june is doable for us. when would you guys recommend we visit and what would we expect to see? As most people we are keen on predators and when would be a good time to see them in action? But top of my list is to photograph a caracal in this habitat.
Also please could you recommend the camps we should visit and also the minimum number of days we should spend in each place. Ideally we would prefer to book into selfcatering rooms rather than camping. Please be aware that we are not used to driving 4*4s so this would be the first time for us. Any recommendation on best 4*4 hire companies would be highly appreciated.
Finally, would you also recommend a visit to Augarbies Natioanl Park? and is so then how many days would be ideal?

Any help with planning would be great.

cheers

Post subject: Re: Augrabies or Mokala
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:31 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Bart, :)
Perhaps read a Trip Report it might give you some idea If indeed there is a November one...

Post subject: Re: Need help with planning a trip
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Welcome to the forum ghostdogg.

I would recommend you spend a bit of time wandering through the arid parks section and travel tales of those of us who have been to Kgalagadi.

I would be very disappointed not to see the magnificent Kalahari lion, cheetah or brown hyena in 12 or so days there, but you could also become blase about them.

Caracal. :hmz: very difficult. We got a glimpse of one last month.

Augrabies - definitely and go on a night drive with Augrabies Guru. 2 or maybe 3 nights there would be ample.

You don't need a 4wd, just a high clearance 'tough' vehicle, unless you go on the specific 4x4 routes.

Have a look around and you might answer your own questions.

Post subject: Re: Augrabies or Mokala
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

A difficult decision to make between the two as each one is unique in their own way. I haven't visited either during November (I normally visit during winter months) so can't help you there unfortunately.

Post subject: Re: Need help with planning a trip
Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:41 am 

Thanks for your reply Bush Baptist
I have been trawling the forums and the internet and have managed to find answers to some questions. Although I am still unsure of what kind of car would be best to hire considering we are 2 people and we will not be camping although we would like to spend a couple of nights at Gharagab or one of the other wilderness camps and looks like sedans are no good on those roads.
Also what do you guys think about visiting the park in early june? would it be a good time for game viewing and also does it get too cold at that time?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 717 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next