Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 4
 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Discussion on monitoring in Augrabies.
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:14 pm 

*EDIT*
this discussion has been split from
here

Hi Augrabies Guru,

Just a question, which kind of Genets live in Augrabies?

And when was the last time you could spot either a Caracal or Leopard?

Best Regards

Post subject: Re: Augrabies Night Drive Sightings
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:37 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Malealea,

It is the Small Spotted Genet.

Did you see these postings??

Leopard on rocks

I do know there was another one of a kill at Moonrock not very long ago, will have a look and post that link too.

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:46 pm 
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

FAC Member (2012)
Here is the last leopard activity AG reported on.............Leopard kill at Moonrock 30/1/2013

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:30 pm 

Lionqueen, Thanks alot for your respond. How Many Leopards are living in that Area?

The last time I have been to Augrabies, I had a chatt with one of the Rangers. He told me that they expect Activities from Hayena either Spotted or Brown. Are some actions monitored so far??? Or was it just an assumption?

About the Leopards again (sOrry AG if I struck your nerve, but I´m keen to get as many Information as possible) does this animals causing troubles in term of the Human Wildlife onflikt? The reason why I asked, when I was writing my BA Thesisi this Topic played a big Role. But I have to say I haven´t wrote about RSA but about Namibia. So it might be intresting to see If any Problems occur and how SANP gonna solve it.

Thanks alot for the information in advance.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:11 am 
Guru
Guru

@ Lion queen, thanks for the links.

@ Malealea, it is indeed small spotted genet.
We can't say precisely how many leopards are in the area due to the following:
There is no formal monitoring program to determine their numbers.
Leopard sightings with in the Park are rare.
The same animal may be seen twice on rare occasions,hereby also refers to my night drive sightings on leopard last year.
We know that there is leopard activity in all three sections of the Park.

Human Wildlife Conflict
Farmers usually contact the Park if leopard activity occurs on their farms.
These are handled by investigating the sight to make sure that it is indeed leopard activity or not another predator.
I know for instance of one case where the farmer was helped by putting out a trap cage to capture the problem animal.(leopard),it was captured and transfered.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:54 am 

Augrabi Guru, thanks for the information you gave me. That is very intresting to hear.

In your post you have written down, if troubles occur you have to check if this is caused by a Leopard or not. Which kind of other Predators sneaking around that Area?

Best Regards

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:39 pm 
Guru
Guru

Others which also caused problems is blacked back jackal and caracal, and the human animal.
Complains from farmers are rare like leopards here, if such problems arise and as I was mentioning in my post is that they contact the Park which is a good thing instead of killing it.
The provincial Conservation Department also help farmers in these cases.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:05 pm 

I´m very surprised that you are rarley do any monitoring about predators. Evenso Leopards occur only in lower numbers, but I learnt about Natural Conservation, that a good monitoring keeps things simple. Eg . in case of the Human Wildlife Conflikt. As you stattet already some times thin Conflickt occur with Leopards aswell. Now my question, is there a special reason for the lack of monitoring?

(Sorry if I struck your nerve, but its indeed a very intresting Topic).

Best Regards

Post subject: Discussion on monitoring in Augrabies.
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:01 pm 
Guru
Guru

@ Malealea,no problem,monitoring is intensively been done on game,herbivores in national parks as well as other conservation areas,due to the fact that these animals occur in greater numbers with in such areas.
Rangers doing patrolls record data of activity of leopard sightings, direct or indirect.
It would depend if the park want to know the number of leopards with in the park,their movements,trends in their activities, where monitoring on a level will be done by using other methods,as you know.In a previous post of mine I have also mentioned that rangers record these data,they make use of cybertrackers.
Now in 16 years time there was only 2 incidents close to the Park, with regard to human wildlife conflict, which was caused by leopard.Predators are generally not so intensively monitored as other game, and it will also depend from area to area.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:39 pm 

HI AG,

Thanks for the request. That esspecially Leopards and other Predators are less monitored ist very intresting to see. I expeckt it the other way around. Because, except Buff, Ellies, Rhinos, the most of the grazing animals are doing less harms to humans and Caddles then Predators. Or am I wrong???? So what is the exact Reason?

I´m a bit confussed now.

Best Regards

Malealea

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:57 am 
Guru
Guru

@ Malealea, yes they are doing less harm to humans but they to and other antelopes have a greater impact on vegetation.
I don't think predators will ever deplete their resources, also look at the varied diet of leopards in this instance for Augrabies, as they occur naturally in this area,their feeding and social behaviour,the amount of food they need per day, they are solitary,territorial weight this up to more social cats.

I think your exact reason would be best answered by Conservation Services.

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:45 pm 

hi AG

Thanks for the answer. It does make sense but still i´m not satisfied. Yes you are correkt especially Leopards di have a grsat varity of Diet but they are also opportunitist. If they are getting the Clue that e.g. Caddles are Fast Food they may addapt. And they are so shy that can´t do much. But I would assume, because of that fact the importance of monitoring gettings higher and higher. I´m just confused a bit as I wrote earlier I expected it other way around.

CU

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:34 pm 
Guru
Guru

@ Malealea
Some info: Nocturnal, make it difficult to study
Not much leopards in Augrabies, cost is high to monitor
Personell do monitoring with cybertrackers during patrolls(partly monitoring).
Also refer to study case of leopards in Kglagadi by Prof Bothma which have take years to get good results, due to solitary and shyness.
That area is also more sandy which make tracking easier in contrast to Augrabies, rocky nature of the area.
In case of Augrabies one should make use of collars and nightfotography(other methods which I have refered to)cost is expensive.
With the river it also make it difficult as they can drink anywhere and are not limit to water holes.
Researchers from outside also need funding/cost and manpower.
Some data from Cybertrackers/leopards
21/11/2007- female with 2 juveniles
07/05/2008- tracks juvenile
26/06/2008- tracks juvenile
26/06/2008- tracks
02/08/2011- tracks
24/08/2011- tracks fresh
18/06/2012- caught an ostrich and drag for 500meter
03/12/2012- cub spotted

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:56 pm 

Hi AG,

I fully understand your point. But how do you know if this Population ist stable if you don´t know the exact numbers?

To make my self clear I don´t want to critisise at all, but I´m wondering about the fact and just makes me think.

Of Course because of the Rocky Habitat and Shyness of this Animals Monitoring is very difficult to handle, but I´m asking my self why are Monitoring activities esspecially in the Rocky Mountains in terms of the Cougar or Cedarberg in Terms aof LEoaprds possible?? There are possibilities I could think about, is a Foto trap on certain Occasions. I just want to point out my point of view. If an animal is so shy and seldom seen, I would excpect an unhealty population. It can be the the nombers are so low that the pop. will decrease in the next Centuries untill they are extinct. Of Course it is a worst Case Scenario, but it won´t be Utopia. The preassure because of the humans, either direckt or Indireckt, will increase.

If you guys focus on Antelops, who knows which other Animals are sneaking around Augrabies. I just remember the great surprise when a Brown Hayena was seen in Kruger a couple of years ago.

AG I have done certain studies on Predators, I´m not a Layperson ;-)

Best Regards

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:31 am 
Guru
Guru

Now even with game counts there could be over or undercounts,and at least the cybertracker data can give an idea of leopard numbers. However this should be an decision solely by management and scientific services for other methods of monitoring.
As literature study's have shown leopards are also active during the day in the Cederberg area, and the Cape leopard trust is a project which mainly focus on that,also due to the high number of fatalaties of leopard due to human wildlife conflict.
The focus in Augrabies is not solely on monitoring of antelopes but a lot of other aspects in the conservation department with regard to resource management.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next