Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bats "problem" (or not) in KTP accomodation ?
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 am 

Div wrote:
Quote:
My advice is to try and make the best of the situation and most certainly not let this keep you from visiting the Kgalagadi.

Agree 100% with you.

This is a small/tiny/miny, littleness of an issue compared to the experience you get from the Park !!

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:12 am 

Hi Pedro,

If you stay outside the park, you lose valuable time you could spend in the park.
Why don't you chose those camps which do not have a bat problem, like e.g. Mata Mata, Kalahari Tented Camp or Nossob?
Further more, you don't have a guarantee that the accomodation outside the park is bat free.

If you take a moskito net with you, you don't have to be afraid of bats joining you in bed :D

The camps in KTP are wonderful and you would certainly enrich your experience by an overnight stay in the park. It is fantastic to wake up to the sound of lions roaring. :D

Nina

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:31 am 

hi Nina!
We had bats in MM and Nossob too!
It is with all the animals in the park, you will never know when or where it will be an interaction

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:21 pm 

Hi Jonkers,

You are certainly right, you never know for sure......

But it seems to me that there are some camps where bats occur more often and regularly (like e.g. TR) while in other camps, they only seem to occur occasionally ...... at least that's my experience.

Maybe it also depends on the time of the year?????

Nina

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
jan.dup wrote:
Div wrote:
Quote:
My advice is to try and make the best of the situation and most certainly not let this keep you from visiting the Kgalagadi.

Agree 100% with you.
This is a small/tiny/miny, littleness of an issue compared to the experience you get from the Park !!

Me too, but this sounds great in theory.

What do you do when your wife says "If there are bats in there, I'm sleeping in the car"

Don't bother with the obvious rejoinder, the implications spoiling the trip are not worth it. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:09 pm 

Yep Nina! I have never had a bat meeting in the winter months in any of the camps
I would not get out of my winter sleep being a bat when the temps are going down 0.
But I do think this problem needs to be solved, otherwise at least you should be made aware in advance, stating on your confirmation that you will share your unit with bats :hmz:
I will stick to the winter months is the solution for me

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:24 pm 

Nina! wrote:
Hi Pedro,

If you stay outside the park, you lose valuable time you could spend in the park.
Why don't you chose those camps which do not have a bat problem, like e.g. Mata Mata, Kalahari Tented Camp or Nossob?
Further more, you don't have a guarantee that the accomodation outside the park is bat free.

If you take a moskito net with you, you don't have to be afraid of bats joining you in bed :D

The camps in KTP are wonderful and you would certainly enrich your experience by an overnight stay in the park. It is fantastic to wake up to the sound of lions roaring. :D

Nina

In MM and Nossob there are reports of bats inside accomodation as well and camping is not an option for us.

We are a family of european urbanites so our perspective is a little different, if there are chances that there will be bats inside our room we just don´t go, I don´t have a doubt that it would ruin our vacation.

If there is another way of knowing the park, even if we miss part of the experience that´s one possibility, if there isn´t, well, it´s a pity but I´ll have to chose another place to go, we can repet the Kruger or do something different.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion :) .

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:25 pm 

Bush Baptist wrote:
jan.dup wrote:
Div wrote:
Quote:

Agree 100% with you.

Me too, but this sounds great in theory.

What do you do when your wife says "If there are bats in there, I'm sleeping in the car"

Don't bother with the obvious rejoinder, the implications spoiling the trip are not worth it. :wink:

That´s the point :wink: .

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:37 pm 

BB wrote:
Quote:

It did happen to me at Urikaruus - and I just joined her in the car - actually slept very well that night. 8)

Just make sure you have enough space made for that beforehand :dance: and Bob's your uncle !!!! :)

On a serious note : I can understand that for some people it would not be acceptable and I totally respect that.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

FAC Member (2012)
Bats yes Over the cricket weekend I shared a chalet with Anne-marie . She being the experienced one with bats made sure we slipped in and out of the main door as to not let them in ... well we were all tired and all were tucked up for the night when Suddenly Anne Marie jumped up and at the top of her voice she started shouting in the choicest French and waving her hands in the air and running around the bed .. !!!( This was our first night and I didn't really know her at all and wondered whether she was having night terrors or even worse ) She then looked at me and with a dead pan face said "zee bats" and went back to bed . and fell asleep.
Oh the little fellow did then try to share my pillow but it didn't worry me in the least

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
jan.dup wrote:
BB wrote:
Quote:

It did happen to me at Urikaruus - and I just joined her in the car - actually slept very well that night. 8)

I joined my wife in the car in 2T in 2000 at about 23h00 when she had had enough of the flying around and when you switch on the light there is nothing (except droppings...), and as I was settling down I pressed the hooter by mistake. :shock:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:13 pm 

Quote:
and as I was settling down I pressed the hooter by mistake.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think we must make a movie about all the funny, scary and embarrassing moments we all had in KTP - I think it would be hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 pm 

the last time we had the chalet in Nossob with a ramp (easy access for mobility challenged) with 3 beds and a huge bathroom. One morning when it was still dark and no power yet and still tired and desperate for some more sleep (rowdy neighbours to the left and a huge family gathering to the right previous night)
My daughter who did not know if I was awake or not saw when she used her flash she was sharing her bed/duvet with two bats and tried to move from under the duvet quietly to the empty bed next to me. I not fully aware of this move jumped up and down thinking there was something else beside us in the chalet. Running off to the bathroom, thinking I was safe two bats were waiting there, running back again bumping in the two bats in the room and my daughter sitting under the duvet looking like a huge tipi tent. And still darkness. I managed to put on a bigger flash light, left it central between us and crawled bag under my duvet. After a while no more flapping and diving into the duvet, perhaps the bats looked at us weirdo s and left. We decided to get up and start the day; after all we did not travel all the way up to be lazy.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:13 pm 

Reading this topic some weeks ago, I became a little concerned about "meeting" the bats during our trip to KTP.

However having spent nights at Nossob, Grootkolk, Gharagab, Bitterpan, and Urikaruus during this last week, I can report that we saw no bats in any of the units in which we stayed. Similarly there were no reports from other people who we have met up with during our travels in KTP.

The only thing that kept us awake at Gharagab and Urikaruus was the roar of the lions as they walked passed our units in the early hours of the morning. What an experience!

As for Kieliekrankie - well we are back at TR for a few days but will be at Kieleikrankie later this week. Will let u know!!!

Unread postPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:52 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Did not have any bats entering our bungalow at Twee Revieren on this trip :hmz: looks like they have sorted the problems with them....or the bats knew that this "old duck'' was coming...so stayed away :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next