Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bats "problem" (or not) in KTP accomodation ?
Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:50 am 

I agree that by having open doors and windows you are inviting bats into your hut. Ever since I started visiting the Kruger and the Kgalagadi I have had bats flying around in my huts on numerous occasions despite keeping the doors and windows closed, but, it has always been in the thatch roof huts. That is why I am enquiring if anyone has had the same problems with the huts with ceilings at Mata Mata and Nossob. The times that I have stayed at Nossob, Mata Mata, Urikaruus and Kalahari tented camps I had no problems with bats. When I have stayed in the huts at Twee Rivieren which have thatch roofs I have had numerous bats flying around.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:14 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Never had a bat problem in Nossob so far. Can't comment on MM as I have stayed there only once.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:18 pm 

We did not have any bats in Nossob, Mata Mata, Grootkolk and Kalahari Tented Camp.

However, we had them in Twee Rivieren, Urikaruus and Kielie Krankie.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:27 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

My take on the "problem" Bats.

We had a 1 night stay at Urikaruus 9 March. The bats were in the ceiling, above the styrene type ceiling below the 2 corrugated roof sheets.

They have had a population explotion. The noise/sound/soothing tones continues all night.

Sanparks started a program during our second visit (app 21 March) to encourage the Bats to move out.
The units were fumigated (non toxic) and then almost all the openings between the ceiling and lower corrugated roof were sealed with foam. The idea that the Bats would get out but not easily find their way back ....and make their homes eslewhere.

Stage 2 requires removing/redoing the ceiling.

After this first step was when the Bats needed to leave within the unit.
The shower area just happens to be where there is a gap/hole in the ceiling for them to crawl out. Perhaps the water had something to do with it!

My SO was more concerned by their plight and trying to assist them in 'getting safely to freedom' than seeing a mating couple of Lions walking through camp.

We slept with all windows /doors and flyscreens open to allow them to fly out.

Our take.....is that we humans are intruding in their world.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:52 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I don't see the problem...My bat accompanies me on all trips, which OFTEN results in horrendous experiences... :tongue: ...only joking.... :lol:

We had one of those night experiences at Twee Rivieren in October 2012 where we were being dive-bombed by bats the whole night, till I finally, when my bat had threatened to sleep in the car and out of pure desparation :wall: , left the light on in the bedroom and then it quietened down. :shock:

The next day I spoke to JG about it and we took his advice.

He said they come out as dusk to start feeding. That is the time that you must put ALL lights off in the chalet....close all windows and open all doors (toilet, shower, bedroom and front door)....

If you sit watching the door you can actually see the bats flying out to feed.

The minute it gets dark, you go and close all doors and leave the lights off.

KG said that once the bats have fed, they will go and 'roost' somewhere else, as they can't get back into YOUR chalet.....I hope I did not have a Forumite as a neighbour that night and they got all MY bats.... :pray:

After that, to get in and out of the chalet, you leave the light off inside and literally 'ooze' quickly in and out through the front door. Also when inside with the light on we 'oozed' through the bedroom door as well, just in case some got into the front room.

No more bats in the chalet and we did not experience any bats on our following 2 nights there. Following the same procedure each disk, of course :whistle:

This might not always work, but it did for us. :dance:

Not sure how to deal with the bats that can crawl in through crevices in the woodwork though :hmz:

Maybe I must take the HTH bottle with, as suggested by BB :thumbs_up:

10-17 October 2014 - Kgalagadi
10/11 Oct - Urikaruus
12 Oct - Nossob
13/15 Oct - Urikaruus
16/17 Oct - Kalahari Tented Camp

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:11 pm 

Quote:
RichardJ wrote: Sanparks started a program during our second visit (app 21 March) to encourage the Bats to move out.

Thank you Sanparks - much appreciated !! I think this will already make a huge difference.

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:20 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Hi GlynB,

That sounds logical, and you are correct. Bat time is dusk.

Just hope YOUR old bat doesn't read what could turn out to be your last post. :roll:

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:38 am 

Thanks for the update RichardJ.

I was in #1 the night after you (10 and 11 March). The bats were incredibly loud. Eric could stand near the bottom of the steps to his chalet and hear them in my roof. There were hundreds! And it was all night and all day.

Glad to hear they're trying to (safely) encourage them to roost somewhere else.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 am 

Lionspoon wrote:
My SO got a couple out of the bathroom sink as well, so I guess they kinda liked the water.
Not in spades though, just the remainders from showering and washing hands respectively.
But I wouldn't know for sure. They might have been trapped as well in some sort of way as
the shower door was closed, but they could have gotten out by flying over it. There is a gap
between the shower and the ceiling. Big enough for them to get through easily.

We also had bat problems inTR - the roomreeked of bat urine - most unpleasant. Also spent the night ducking the fly bys!

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

:hmz: Having read all the comments on this thread, I think I have the solution - pitch a tent! :lol:
Seriously though, we have never experienced a problem with bats - and in fact, I love seeing them flying out at dusk when we have stayed over in chalets in KTP - all part of nature! (Just my 5c)

AGULHAS REST CAMP : Sat 14 June 2014 - Mon 16 June 2014 (Our first visit!)

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:04 am 

Quote:
Munchkin wrote: I think I have the solution - pitch a tent!

:D :D Great idea !!!! Get a cheap 2 man tent and pitch it inside the room and no more fly byes and brushing while you sleep !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:15 pm 

We laugh about pitching a tent but there is actually some truth in that statement. We were at Lower Sabie in December and had numerous encounters with bats:
1) My wife had a bat fly into her on the patio leaving a nasty bruise on her face
2) I found a bat sandwiched between my two pillows when I went to bed the one night
3) A bat decided to rest on my wife's shoulder while she was sleeping. I thought she was going to lift the thatch roof of the hut the way she screamed
4) I removed bats that were flying around in the hut on 4 occasions

In February I went to the Kruger for 6 nights on my own and camped in a tent to save costs. I must admit that I slept a lot better in the tent not having the bats flying around and dive bombing me like they did in the hut in December. The high pitched noises that they make also tend to prevent one from having a good night's sleep.

I enjoy watching the bats in Kruger and Kgalagadi when they come out to hunt for insects at dusk. I also have a family of Mauritian tomb bats that have made my home their home for the last 10 years plus. During the winter months they migrate but as soon as the summer season arrives they come back. They have never given me any problems and have on no occasion ever flown into my house. Do I like bats? Yes, bats fascinate me but I definitely do not enjoy their presence when they fly around inside the huts which they have done on numerous occasions over the last 29 years that I have visited Kruger and Kgalagadi.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:31 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
Hi GlynB,

That sounds logical, and you are correct. Bat time is dusk.

Just hope YOUR old bat doesn't read what could turn out to be your last post. :roll:

:whistle: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10-17 October 2014 - Kgalagadi
10/11 Oct - Urikaruus
12 Oct - Nossob
13/15 Oct - Urikaruus
16/17 Oct - Kalahari Tented Camp

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:43 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Had a bat problem at Twee Revieren last year :(
The first night when we went to bed...out came the bats...they came through a hole in the thatch...divebombed me...SO slept like a baby :evil:
The next morning went to reception and told them about the bats...they moved us to another bungelow..the same problem when we went to bed :evil: :evil:
Oh well...pulled the sheet over my face...the bats kept on flying in and out of the bungalow... :lol:
Eventually I fell asleep :D
Twee Revieren have a huge problem with bats :(
Did not have bat problems at Nossop or Grootkolk :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:04 am 
Guru
Guru

Hi there all,

I will take this up with the respective management and advise on what is said. Please do take note that we have had consulted experts in this field regarding the bat situation in the park and also what effect the 'Bat Houses' will have.

Regards

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next