Skip to Content

Kia Sportage 2x4, Nissan X-Trail 2x4 or Fortuner???

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld

Moderator: hilda

Xtrail or Fortuner

Unread postby MariSim » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:46 pm

I plan a trip to the Kalahari with 4 persons (no child)
The plan is that we are 5-6 nights in the park and 3 of them in the Wilderness Camp (no 4x4 necessary).

On the last trip we had a Toyota Double-Cap, unfortunately, here is the back row of seats not very comfortable with very little space.
Now I can not decide between the Nissan XTrail or the Toyota Fortuner.

Which car would you recommend? Or do you hace another ideas?
Just becaus the baggage (food, beverages, wood) which trunk is bigger?

Thanks you for your help :-) :thumbs_up:

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Xtrail or Fortuner

Unread postby Hippotragus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi MariSim - first of all, lucky you going to my favourite place on Earth!! Hope you have a wonderful trip.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will reply soon, but, in the meantime, I would hazard a guess that the Fortuner is slightly larger than the X-Trail.

Remember to take plenty of water with you. The water in some of the Wilderness camps is so brakish (salty) that you can't even brush your teeth with it or boil for tea/coffee!!

Wishing you all the best.
Paul Kruger Gate (day visitor) 24-28 August 2015
Skukuza 14-18 October 2015
Satara 18-21 October 2015

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread postby wanderw » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi MariSim! Welcome to the forum. :thumbs_up:
Regarding the Fortuner vs The Xtrail - We have a Fortuner and find it very comfortable for 4 people(plenty of leg room at the back - my son is 6 foot tall). It is a bit bigger than the Xtrail and has a bigger trunk once the 2 ‘bunny’ seats right at the back are removed - if you are hiring it, I am sure the hire company will remove them for you if not already done(takes 2 minutes). We have spent 12 days in the park with 4 people and about 110 litres of water, and still had plenty of space for groceries,wood and clothing etc.

Xtrail - hopefully someone will tell you more about it soon as well.

Hope you have a super trip! :dance:
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form

Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby JeanniR » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:32 pm

Hi MariSim :gflower:

I would also go for the Toyota Fortuner. It's larger than the X-trail and slightly higher as well. The back seats are comfortable and spacious. More than enough room for 4 people.

We went to KNP with a Fortuner with 4 adults and 2 children and we had lots of space and everyone was comfortable.

Hope you have a great holiday! 8)
Such is the human race, often it seems a pity that Noah... didn't miss the boat.
Mark Twain

Want to learn something new? Take part in our Quizzes

Unread postby MariSim » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Hello Forum,

many thanks for the previous answers, the Forum members are really great :clap: :clap:

Unread postby Afriphile » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:01 pm

This is a question that I asked myself as 4 adults are going to KTP next Easter.
I decided on the Fortuner , but a word of warning.If you hire then the small print often says "Fortuner or similar"
Often you do not get the exact make or model so be aware of this.
Have a great time.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby Crested Val » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:49 pm beat me to it!!!!
I was about to say the same thing!!!!

Most hire companies seem to say XTrail or similar, Fortuner or similar etc, so you don't know till you pick it up what you will actually get !!!

We had an X Trail in 2007, when four of us went to Kruger, which we found OK room wise, but we were disappointed that it was only a bit higher off the ground than an ordinary sedan.

Seems from previous posts, the Fortuner would be better, but just make sure that is what you will be given when you go to pick it up.

Whatever you choose, hope you have a wonderful time. :thumbs_up:
Thinking of my beloved South Africa every day.

Addo Feb 2-5 2016
Storms River Feb 5-8 2016
Kruger Feb 21-Mar 10th 2016

Kia Sportage 2x4, Nissan X-Trail 2x4 or Fortuner???

Unread postby MiaMouse » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:26 pm

Hi, I appreciate this topic has most likely been "done to death" but I haven't a clue about either car :redface: We have decided to cancel Bitterpan therefore do not need a 4x4. I have the choice of either of the above for our trip in September and would like some advice :pray: ...from what I can gather the Nissan has better ground clearance - good for the park and the Kia has better fuel economy - good for the drive from Johannesburg. I suppose we need the roomiest one for ALL our food AND our water. We are planning on buying a cool box that runs off the car in Johannesburg ( best place to buy this?) to make it easier as we will be changing accommodation quite a bit...I'm thinking X-Trail but am open to suggestions between either or another car altogether,.

Fanatic RSA

Re: Kia Sportage 2x4 of Nissan X-Trail 2x4???

Unread postby Fanatic RSA » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Personally I would choose the one with the most space for packing but that's not really the purpose of my reply.

Just be careful with the electric cooler as it will easily drain a battery overnight. Switch it off when not in use.

Personally I would rather purchase a Coleman Extreme cooler and use ice to keep things cool. Thermo electric coolers tend to underperform in extreme heat.

I take it a Camp Master 12 V fridge is not an option?

Good luck.
Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!" - Robin Williams

Unread postby Parkfanatic » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:21 pm

I was a regular to the KTP in a Nissan X trail 4x2 (I say "was" because I am about to do KTP in my new Ford Ranger double cab woohoo... 4 weeks to go :D ) The X Trail just had too much National park mileage on it and needed to retire.
I did several trips in the X Trail and it peformed well.
The ground clearance is more than adequate
The packing space is great (if there are only two of you you can drop the backseat completely flat to create lots of space). Or only one of the split back seats.
Also bear in mind there is a Nissan dealer in Upington... I dont believe there is one for Kia. So if things go wrong... I know which make I would prefer to drive. Also Kia spares are less readily available. Often have to come from overseas. Having said that as you appear to be hiring, this may not be a worry for you but rather the rental company if it does go wrong
Nissan's are built tough... Kia is a bit like a 'wannabee' gravel road car. Its probably better off as a city vehicle carting kids to rugby practice..
I dont believe the Kia offers anything over the Nissan.
My X Trail did typically 8 litres to 100km (even when it had mileage on it)... so not heavy at all on fuel for a 2.0l vehicle carrying a load on gravel roads and even at higher speeds.
For me this is a no brainer.. Nissan X Trail

Watch out for the fridge ... it will kill your battery if you are not carefull. Personally I have always used a Coleman Extreme cooler or a CADAC 5 day cooler. You are going to want to take the items out of the vehicle fidge and put them in the fridge in your accommodation anyhow (unless you like push starting your vehicle every morning) so why not just use one of the above coolers with ice packs.. ours items stay frozen for long periods like this.

Try "Outdoor Warehouse" for the equipment you need.

Unread postby MiaMouse » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:14 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Fanatic RSA...I think we will go for a cool box and ice packs, The Camp Master 12 V fridge sounds a bit expensive for a 3week holiday, as we are traveling from Scotland we will just be leaving the cool box "somewhere" when we are finished with it.

Parkfanatic...the X-Trail it is!! Sounds like the best option all round. I'm sure you will have many happy trips in your new " Ford Ranger double cab" :thumbs_up: Have a great time :D Is a CADAC 5 day cooler one that uses ice packs as well? I had a google and found a Coleman 4 day for around ZA900 as we will just be leaving it behind I don't want to pay much more.

I take it all the accommodation that have fridges have iceboxes for freezing the ice packs?

Thanks again

Unread postby Parkfanatic » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:50 pm

Mia mouse,
Yes the Cadac cooler uses ice packs. Coleman 4 = same thing. Both will work.
As far as I can recall all accommodation has fridges with freezers for cooling the ice packs (at least all of the accommodation I have ever stayed in. You can also buy packs of ice at Twee Rivieren if needed which will add to keeping the temp down in the cooler for the first days.

Ps: out of interest what dates are you in KTP?
Which camps are you staying?

Unread postby MiaMouse » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:53 pm

Parkfanatic... we will pick up one of these cool boxes once we arrive in Johannesburg on 12th September, We have 2 nights in Marakele, 3 nights in Mokala, 2 nights in Augrabies then go into KTP on the 19th so far we have:

19th... Kieliekrankie (just became available tonight :D )
20th... Nossob
21st... Mata Mata (but hope to change to another night in Nossob if one appears)
22nd Homeless
23/24 TR
25/26 Kalahari Tents
27/28 Mata Mata
29.... TR...but hope to change to Mata Mata or Kalahari Tents
30... Kalahari tents...we did have Bitterpan but changes seen as we weren't having a 4x4

I plan to keep looking as would be happier with 2 consecutive nights, even our 2 nights in Mata Mata are in different chalets, could only get river chalet for one night. Hopefully we will get Urikaruus and/or Grootkolk (preferably Grootkolk I think). I just had to take what I could get so probably not in the best order! Any ideas? Where are the best sightings?

Not long til you head off, where will you be staying?
Last edited by MiaMouse on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony T

Unread postby Tony T » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:12 am

Like Parkfanatic says, the Xtrail is the wiser choice. I'll be in the park in mid April and I believe this will be my 14 visit in the Xtrail.
Just remember the 2L petrol, like the one I have, is front wheel drive so you need to take care when driving in sand. There are a couple of sandy places , nothing to be alarmed about , but just be vigilent.
Minor issues that irritate; I have a 2005 model and the rear windows only open halfway also the Xtrails' electric windows only operate with the ignition on. Maybe not a prob in the newer models.
KTP- 23/4/15 to 26/4/15 - Mata Mata
27/4/14 to 30/4/15 - Nossob
1/5/15 to 4/5/15 - Gharagab

Birthdays are good for you - the more you have, the longer you live!

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:52 pm

Check what type of spare wheel they have (if any).

Manufacturers nowadays compromise your safety by giving you either an aeorosol can or a 'marie biscuit' spare instead of a proper one.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Return to “Arid Parks”