Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Rooiputs - Botswana side??? Please no!
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:31 pm 

Hi all,

I am just wondering what precisely is going on on the Botswana side at Rooiputs. There is a relatively large 'construction site' (only wood at the moment) and from what I have heard is they are putting a huge luxury lodge/spa there.

Sadly this can be seen from the road which is truly not ideal.

I am just wondering if SANparks were consulted with this development and is there any way we can petition against it?

I am for development as I do believe it has its place in terms of gaining revenue for the parks, etc but there is a limit. I truly feel that this lodge looks to (don't know precisely what the finished product will be like) be far over that limit and especially in a place such as the Kgalgadi.

I really feel strongly that the Kgalgadi as we have it today is amazing, where you have the options or traditional camps, wilderness camps and what is just as important is the Botswana side where you can just purely camp in the most remote areas with very few facilities.

This current 'balance' of (accommodation options and amount of them) in my eyes is at a perfect level, not too much-not too little and is able to make sufficient revenue at the same time. I really just want the Kgalagadi to stay as we have it today. I fear that if this development is just one of many to follow.

The last thing is, I understand that the Botswanan conservation authority is looking upon the South African side and wondering how they can also make as much money. Especially considering that the park is incredibly full throughout the year nowadays (much more than in the past) but is there no better way than building what looks to be a 'mansion' that sadly everyone will see from the road for the rest of time!!! :(

I would love to hear other peoples views and knowledge? ... :)

Thanks
Robbie

I wake up everyday, in this beautiful country of ours, hoping that soon I will make a difference to the future of our wildlife...
I hope to fulfill my dreams...:)

Post subject: Re: Rooiputs - Botswana side??? PLEASE NO!
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:52 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Yes this is a lodge in construction as part of a wider range of developments on both the South African and Botswana side.

If you look under the Forum Indaba you will see two or three topics about these developments.

Post subject: Re: Rooiputs - Botswana side??? PLEASE NO!
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:13 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.
Hi Lebrob,

We already have a discussion on the topic here.
You are welcome to continue the discussion in the linked topic, this one will now be locked to be merged later. :)

Post subject: Re: Rooiputs- Is this the end?
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:14 pm 

I am absolutely GUTTED to say the least!

Why is it that we all (at least the majority of us) go to the Kgalgadi?

I am pretty sure everyone has their reasons from amazing photographic opportunities to big cats to suricates to its harshness and the list goes on and on...
BUT I am pretty sure the real reason we all LOVE this place SO MUCH, is for its solitude, stillness and just PURE UNTOUCHED WILDERNESS!!! This what makes the Kgalagadi SO special and in my eyes why it tops any other National Parks! How can we let this go for people that only see financial gain! I truly don't believe the Botswanan side have the UNTOUCHED beauty and conservation as their priority, its secondary to MONEY! is there no ways SANparks can provide greater input (and assistance to be honest).

I am sure very little of the 'newly formed income' will go to conservation as well so what good is this doing? Simply the Botswanan Government and the private investors will be richer! WELL THAT'S GREAT!

The construction of these lodges is surely going to take this away? especially if they are going to be over-the-top luxury lodges that are visible for all to see :(

I am only 23 years old and just fear the future that if this happens we will NO longer have the Kalahari as we know it, UNTOUCHED!

"The opportunities we don't take in this life time will be LOST FOREVER"... This applies in a different way to these developments, once they are there they are there FOREVER, something we (SANparks) surely can alter.

I understand Botswana need to make money but there is surely a better and more ethical way!!! :(

What's hurts the most is there is so little we as visitors to the park can do!

Thanks
Robbie

I wake up everyday, in this beautiful country of ours, hoping that soon I will make a difference to the future of our wildlife...
I hope to fulfill my dreams...:)

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:55 pm 

I wonder how KTP will look 20 years from now. Tarred roads, Lodges all over :hmz: It's already a shame that so few places remain where one can experience the true wilderness, raw and untamed. But with peoples quest for development even the last few places is going up in flames (developments). These so called custodians of nature is nothing but that.

I can just say - Enjoy everyday in true natural places to the utmost, because I can see the day coming that nothing like that would be left, and that not in the too distant future. Maybe 20 years from now I can invite some friends with the following words - "I booked a couple of days at Rooiputs & Polentswa Lodges in the Kalahari Transfrontier Zoo. Wanna come with ?" :( :( :(

Quote:
What's hurts the most is there is so little we as visitors to the park can do!
- so true Robbie

Last edited by jan.dup on Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:48 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
And Scottie can beam you there jan.dup. :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:18 pm 

Bush Baptist wrote:
Quote:
And Scottie can beam you there jan.dup.
:) :) :) Yes BB, wouldn't that save us a lot of time on the roads leading nowhere !!!! :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:29 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
You can then fly around on your 'saucer' and Heksie & Caracal on their broomsticks. :wink:

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:10 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Botswana is very much entitled to their slice of the KTP.

In 1991, I was privileged enough to have dinner with Ian Khama, and he spoke at length of his vision to establish transfrontier parks and opening up migratory routes for the wildlife again(at that stage it was more about opening up Hwange, Chobe, Caprive and Angola to allow the elephants to migrate).

He has been very instrumental in establishing a rhino population again in his country and they have started repopulating the Okavango area with rhino. The rhino are well protected and are constantly monitored.

He has recently banned all hunting in Botswana and their Defence Force is mainly used to combat poaching.

Ian Khama, in my mind, is one of Africa's true conservationists and I applaud him for his efforts. I believe Botswana takes the conservation of their wildlife heritage more seriously than other countries, including South Africa.

So if they are wanting to develop their side of the KTP, they have my full support, as I believe they do so with the ultimate aim of preserving their heritage, and not for greed, as some people on this forum have indicated.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:01 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@Tumble Weed: This thread was about the fact that Rooiputs is sacrificed in favor of a 5 star lodge on the same spot and NOT about the fact that Bots WIld Life wants to do further development on their side of KTP. There are many 1000's square km to build a few lodges to satisfy the need of the rich and to boost their income.

Fortunately it seems like SANParks's future plans are a bit more open minded, I really do hope the 4x4 camping sites they envisage comes to life. Numerous wilderness camps have been built on the SA side, but never at the cost of an existing popular facility. So whilst SANPakrs envisage to establish 4x4 camping sites, Bots Wild Life is doing away with theirs. Please as Mr. Khama what the logic is about that :? .

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:48 am 

Hi WeskusKlong
Tumble Weed has a valid point
Its on the Bots side and its their call
Fully understand the emotions about the Rooiputs location but its not up to SANparks
Quote:
Rooiputs Lodge.

The site where Botswana is building their lodges was agreed upon in a bilateral agreement between South Africa and Botswana years ago when the Tourism Master plan was drafted with the proclamation of the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.

SANParks has got no jurisdiction over the building of the lodges. (As mentioned it was agreed upon in the bilateral meetings).

Regards

KG

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:47 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@bert I never said it is up to SANParks. I only compared the two entities' future plans. My opinion is that of the camping tourist - and by that a very large portion of the forumites. If you haven't pitched your tent at Rooiputs before you do not understand the loss. I strongly doubt that any of the Honorable board members that made these decisions ever camped there so the fact that the site was agreed upon by bilateral agreement does not make it a good and informed decision. This thread is about an affordable, low impact privilege we had that is now taken away, and building something in its place most of us will not be able to afford to ever utilize (or want to). There is no argument about the "ultimate aim of preserving their heritage" here. Please don't tell me that the lodge will not have a negative impact on the environment - that very same heritage we all try to preserve!

I'm so glad I knew the place as it was. I can tell the story about lions that visited us in camp. We left the next morning - with only our footprints a testimony that we ever were there. That experience will soon be gone. Lodge dwellers will sit on their elevated verandas sipping on sun-downers, hoping to hear a lion roar in the distance... but hey isn't that what development is all about? :evil: . Many moons ago wild animals roamed Europe. Now Europeans come to Africa to experience the wild. This lodge is another nail in the coffin of that experience... enough said.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:58 pm 

Understand about the loss.
Been in the area but never camped

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:28 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

See: http://extraordinaryjourneys.net/africa ... -botswana/

A lodge does not necessarily have to be a nail in the coffin of the wilderness experience. Wild animals of all kinds come righit into lodge grounds, and that includes lions. No need to listen out for them in the distance, you can have kills right in in front of your room, just as you can at a campsite. Lodges may actually offer more favorable conditions for observing animals up close compared to a campsite.

Johan

Last edited by DinkyBird on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commercial link removed

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:07 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Not sure if the voices against the lodge are about potentially
losing out on animal sightings, johanrebel. Seems it's more about
the loss of atmosphere for the campers when there is a lodge in
the background rather than undisturbed, vast landscapes. :hmz:

Mobile Webcam Project: Done!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next