Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another Richtersveld newbie - advice please!
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:39 pm 

Hi all!

We're planning a drive from Cape Town to Windhoek this April, and we were keen to spend a couple of days in the Richtersveld. It would be great to hear some thoughts on:

Is there an good route in the park travelling south to north, camping on the way? (e.g. entering Namibia at Sendelingsdrift?
    Is two nights enough to get through or do we need to allow more time? (we are a little pushed for time anyway - we only have 9 days for the whole trip)
    Will we need to book in advance, and how long should we allow to get permits etc on the way in?

Any advice hugely appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Another Richtersveld newbie - advice please!
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:41 am 

Hi buthers

I would visit Richtersveld on my way over as I love this park.

I believe that you have to enter the park at Sendelingsdrift before going anywhere else in the park - others may have more information on this.

Therefore, given the time it takes to travel in this park I think you will only have time to stay at Sendelingsdrift itself or the nearby campsite. You could spend your spare day doing a drive from Sendelingsdrift. I presume you have a 4x4?
I am not sure if you need to get to Windhoek from Sendelingsdrift but if so then you definitely want to stay right by the pont as it will take you 11-12 hours.
We always spend a night at Sendelingsdrift on our way into and out the park and find it very pleasant. The bird life from the chalet is very good as it is on the Orange River. Of course it is nothing like Tatasberg or one of the remote places to stay in the park but perhaps it will give you a taste and you will be back for longer.

I hope this helps and all the best.

Melanie

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:49 am 

View from chalet at Sendelingsdrift
[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/09/6f8a4fe918a07a36fcad4094b234f1e4.jpg[/img]

Orange River White Eye
[img]http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/09/8e99253ff37abf004f3fafccfd1167e2.jpg[/img]

Driving in.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:02 pm 

Thanks Melanie - very useful, I hadn't realised that Sendelingsdrift was the only entrance. Is there an easy route from Sendelingsdrift to Fish River Canyon, if we were to head up there after visiting the SA part of Richtersveld?

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:39 pm 

I am not sure that it is an easy route, I think it is rather challenging. But not having done it myself, I would wait for more experienced folk to reply here buthers.

have a look at the map here

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:56 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Hi Buthers,

We will be doing that route to Fish river on 3 April but also not sure what it will be like over the rocky section away from the river. You might get away with a 2 x 4, but high clearance might be required. Last year end of March the Fish river came down in flood and the Orange river was also very high resulting in closure of the pontoon. This means in case of more rain we might find it again close but it does not look like a great possibility.

http://www.sanparks.org/about/news/default.php?id=56035

You can continue north through Rosh Pinah and drive down to the Fish river lookout from Seeheim if you don't drive a 4x4 and cannot continue on the Fish river road.

If you are there at the same time than us you are welcome to follow us through to Namibia.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:55 am 

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Buthers,

Altough we already had some feedback from our awesome 'mites, I have also forwarded your request to SANParks PR for additional info that might help in your decision-making :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:06 am 

Fantastic, thanks so much barryels - would be great to hear how long it takes to get from Sendelingsdrift up to Fish River Canyon up on the Fish River road!

Son godin - thanks so much for the offer but we'll be a couple of weeks after you. Let us know how it goes though!

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:18 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

buthers wrote:
Fantastic, thanks so much barryels - would be great to hear how long it takes to get from Sendelingsdrift up to Fish River Canyon up on the Fish River road!

Son godin - thanks so much for the offer but we'll be a couple of weeks after you. Let us know how it goes though!

We will let you know. The road looks very interesting and worthwhile staying over along the route near Ausenkher. We decided to try out that pool at Ai-Ais and also plan not to drive too slow, but will stop for a photo.

Have you ever explored Google Maps. Fantastic if you want to see the route before driving it. Click om the icon in the bottom right hand corner to view the photos. (next to the little man)

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/Rosh+Pinah,+Karas,+Namibia/Ai-Ais%2FRichtersveld+Transfrontier+Park,+Namibia/@-28.1015892,17.1546611,13z/data=!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x1c3fecfd01b7faa7:0xa9684bd2f08f3047!2m2!1d16.76!2d-27.965!1m5!1m1!1s0x1c3fa8535f1c0b4d:0x8d7323e0bfe5580f!2m2!1d17.71507!2d-27.618817

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:21 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Buthers,

Is there an good route in the park travelling south to north, camping on the way? (e.g. entering Namibia at Sendelingsdrift? The Richtersveld area is predominantly rough terrain and the use of a 4x4 is highly recommended. There are camping sites available at Potjiespram and De Hoop.

Is two nights enough to get through or do we need to allow more time? (we are a little pushed for time anyway - we only have 9 days for the whole trip) A 3 night stay is advisable as this will allow time for ample sight seeing.

Will we need to book in advance, and how long should we allow to get permits etc on the way in? No need to book in advance (but for own peace of mind by all means) and no permit required.

Trip duration from Sendelingsdrift up to Fish River Canyon up on the Fish River road is about 3 hours - with amazing views.

Regards,
Nadia

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:16 am 

May I ask here about driving from Richtersveld to Kgalagadi using the pont to cross the river. Is the road that follows the river okay to drive so that we can enter Kgalagadi at Mata Mata? Will have a 4x4 but will be traveling on our own. We visited Fish River Canyon on our last trip to Namibia. Thanks Pen

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:30 pm 

FAC Member (2013)
Hi Penolva,

I have send your question through to the SANParks PR Division for some additional help.

Maybe you could read the existing topic: "Advice on drive from Richtersveld to Kgalagadi" Here to get an idea in the meantime :thumbs_up: .

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:47 pm 

Thank you, I had a look at the thread but we don't want to go the Upington way, would rather go across on the pont and enjoy the trip if we can. Not in a rush. Pen

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:43 pm 
Guru
Guru

Hi Penolva,

The road is 100% and you will shorten your travelling distance with at least 300km. :wink:

Regards,
Nadia

Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:45 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

I've already posted on the border crossing thread, but just to repeat the road along the Orange on the Namibian side can be done in a sedan. Little bit corrugated after crossing the Fish River to Aussenkehr, but mild in comparison with KTP. There is also a road along the Gamkab river to Ai-Ais, but not easy to find and only for 4x4's.