Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Mokala: getting there and away
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:46 am 

Hi
We are coming to KNP again in July/August and will be traveling from Mokala, I wondered what is the best way to travel? Shortest looks to be on R31 Barley West to Kuruman then stay on this all the way. I know its unpaved but how bad is it how long will this take?
Alternative is via N14 and Upington
Any advise on which is quickest route?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:02 am 

What vehicle are you driving?

If a sedan then go the Upington route, but if you are in a 4x4 or even 4x2, and want a more scenic route then via Kuruman. Which is quickest depends on your vehicle and how heavy your right foot is.

Post subject: Thanks very much
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:19 pm 

Hi

thanks for the reply
We will be in a 4x4 but it is a hire car, do you know if the road is very bad? we have been on some unpaved road in RSA that were fine and others that were like assault courses!
Coming from the UK we are not used to the distances as well, can you give me an idea of how long it would take?

thanks again
maureen

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:39 pm 

From Kimberley via Upington it's about 7 hours to Twee Rivieren. Via Kuruman between 7 and 8 hours, depending on the condition of the R31. The road seems to be in decent condition at the moment (this is from reports and not first hand info).

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I would have opted for the Upington route via Griquatown and Groblershoop if I have to drive the total distance (between Mokala and Twee Rivieren) on the same day.

Post subject: Re: Mokala National Park
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:03 am 

Hi,

Can anybody give me directions to Mokala National Park?
I hear that it is not very well sign posted.

Thanks,

Samantha

Post subject: Re: Mokala National Park
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:22 am 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Hi Samantha,

Don't worry it is well signposted and not difficult to find :

You can find a map here and a description here, just follow these directions and at the Hayfield crossing on the N12 you will see the brown tourism boards indicating the park.

Hope this helps!

Post subject: Mokala - Can you check in directly at Lilydale?
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:49 am 

Hi,
We are doing a trip to KTP in Sept 2010 and on the way back to Durban have booked to spend a couple of nights in Mokala at Lilydale camp. We have seen on the map that the Lilydale camp is seperate to Mokala. We would like to know if we would have to travel past the Lilydale turnoff and go to Mokala to check in and then head back to Lilydale? We are coming from just outside KTP - so this sounds like a lot of extra driving. Has anyone done this - or got any advice to clarify.
Many thanks

Post subject: Re: Mokala - Can you check in directly at Lilydale?
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:41 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Mustang.

We have just spent a wonderful long weekend at the "main" part of Mokala.
Well worth visiting - we will be returning! Trip report etc. to follow.

While there we were given a Mokala brochure. I quote "Visitors booked at Lilydale don't need to drive to Mokala's main gate; they may proceed directly to Lilydale". It is a long drive from the Lilydale turn-off on the N12 - another 20km on tar then 21km on dirt.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:22 pm 

Hi Mustang, we have just come from the same trip. At Upington take the N10 then onto the R64. at Campbell take the R385 (gravel raod) to Douglas, from there the R357 to Kimberley. About 55km out, take the turnoff to Richie (gravel road), carry on till you get to the N12. Turn right towards Hopetown +- 2km down you wil see the turnoff to the NPB Lillydale. That road takes you to the gate +- 16km where you anounce yourself on the radio, to open the gate.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:19 pm 

Mustang, the gravel road to Lilydale is not exclusive to the park, and used by public, especially by adjacent farms. Please bear this in mind when you travel there, that the road conditions might not be 100%, but once inside the gates, you will have a wonderfully peaceful visit.

Lilydale has some of the friendliest staff in SANParks and they are very helpful. If it is just you and a SO going there, ask for the chalet with the double bed - it has a nice corner bath as well! (Think it is number 5?) There is also a sparkling pool at reception and a cosy bar/lounge area at the main building.

If you can, try to squeeze in a visit to Mokala as well - it is really an amazing Park with some beautiful landscapes and awesome trees! (Remember to ask Lillydale's receptionist to facilitate this for you, as visits must be arranged prior to arrival).

Enjoy our new and youngest SANPark!

Post subject: best route from east rand to MAKOLO (kimberley)
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:04 am 

plse can someone advise which route to take

thanks
boskabous

Post subject: Re: best route from east rand to MAKOLO (kimberley)
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:50 am 

Hi boskabous,

I'm sure you are referring to Mokala and not Makolo? The two best options from my point of view to get from Jhb to Kimberley is either 1.) the N12 via Potch, Wolmaranstad, Christiana, Kimberley, or 2.) take the N1 to Bloemfontein and then go to Kimberley from there.

Option 1 is shorter however there are some roadworks - the last time I took that road (2 months ago) there were only 2 stop-go signs so I would suggest this road.

Option 2 may be a bit longer but the N1 is in good condition and the road to Kimberley not too bad.

For years I took the N1 and just before the Vaalplaza tollgate I took the R57 to Parys, Viljoenskroon, Bothaville, Hoopstad, Hertzogville, Boshoff, Kimberley - the best road but unfortunately today this is one of the worst roads in the country due to all the potholes! Avoid that!

From Kimberley it is another +- 60km to get to Mokala turnoff on the N12 towards Cape Town, and another 20km on a dirt road to the gate.

Hope this helps!

Post subject: distances to Mokala
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:33 am 

we are tempted to include a sidetrip to Mokala on our way from JOH to KTP and I was wondering about the distances (not necessarily the travel times, we have our own pace) between O.R. Tambo and Mokala as well as between Mokala and TR

thanks

Post subject: Re: distances to Mokala
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:31 pm 

In Oct/Nov 2009 it took me about 8hrs going from a hotel near JNB A/P to Mokala due partly to traffic arond Jo´burg and numerous road works delays. My return about two weeks later after a second stay in Mokala took abot 7,5 hrs.
I have not driven from Mokala to KTP but will be driving from KTP to Mokala next March.
Mokala in my opinion is well worth a visit for more than an overnight stay. I have booked for five nights on my next visit.