Skip to Content

Kgalagadi Information Page

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld

Moderator: hilda

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Suej » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:03 am

[quote="Kgalagadi Guru"]The following I have taken from the book "Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park by Peter Derichs" Great book for newcomers to the park.

Craig Lockhart:

Just as a matter of interest, all these are place names in Scotland.
SueJ - Sand Rover !

KTP 2012 - Green Dunes, hungry mice & frozen toothpaste

Kalahari Tapas 2010

Kagalagadi Wheat Fields TR 2008

Kgalagadi Guru

Re: Kgalagadi Information Page

Unread postby Kgalagadi Guru » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:32 pm

You are right in saying so they are indeed named after places in Scotland as the land surveyor have named them as he was from Scotland.
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

Unread postby Malkop » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 am

Hi all.

I have some news about the Scottish names in the Park.

Roger (Malkop) Duke Jackson was my grandfather. He was born in Knysna in 1883. His dad was Maximillian James Jackson the magistrate who had a great deal to do with in the Korana War in the Northern Cape. His mother was Maria Bertha Brink, sister of the socialite Jose Dale Lace (Brink), from Richmond in the Cape. Roger was a second generation South African.

We believe that his first stint in the Kalahari area was at the turn of the century, he may have been an apprentice surveyor with something to do with the border between SA and SWA. He married Eileen Francis May Brock in 1914 and she was very Scottish.

In the early days of the marriage Eileen had to give up all the niceties of a "civilised" lifestyle and adapt, very quickly, to a life in the "agterveld" (as Roger would put it). It was her job to look after the camp which entailed providing and preparing the food while Roger was about doing his survey work. We think that she, with the help of the San would have had to find food and water. I am convinced that it was Eileen who gave the places there Scottish names and indeed out of homesickness.

Eileen was an amazing woman who had a head of fiery red hair and stood only 4"9''. She became and extremely good hunter and I remember the family home adorned with the skulls of her "trophies". There are many stories about the couple and most of them are from the Kalahari. On one of her hunts she was taken off her ox *(that's what she rode) by a leopard and fortunately for her a San tracker beat the animal off and managed to get her, badly mauled, back to camp. The story goes on that she was laid up for three months and on her recovery she tracked the leopard down and took her revenge. One of the skulls was supposedly that of this poor beast.

Roger and Eileen's home was on a farm, Bishopsdene, in Umzimkulu - East Griqualand. In the early days they did the trip from there to Upington and beyond by Ox Wagon. All the later trips to the region show that they had a deep fondness for the Kalahari.

Sadly many of the family documents have been lost over the years but we do have a few photographs of the area which I will get copies off the Jan.

Unread postby DinkyBird » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:25 pm

A question raised on the SANParks facebook page, which is good to know:

SANParks, do the officials at the camps in Kgalagadi have anti-rabies medicine?

Lesego Nko:- Kgalagadi does not have these injections available at the camps and our staff are not qualified to administer them. Anti-rabies injections are available at the Clinic in Askham that is about 60km’s from Twee Rivieren where it can be administer by a Medical Doctor or a registered Nurse and such cases will be referred to this clinic for assistance.

Return to “Arid Parks”