Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Use of drones/quadcopters illegal in KTP ?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:10 pm 

I came upon this youtube clip that was posted in December 2013 - a few questions came up:
1 Surely this is not acceptable/illegal to use drones/quadcopters, or any similar devices in KTP ?
2. Unless it was done by authorization from the Parks officials ?
3. Or is it allowed on the Botswana side of the Park ?
4. Is there any indication of it being illegal on the visitors info given when entering the Park ?

Would like comments to get clarification on this as I somewhere on the forum read that these are illegal to use in KTP by visitors.

Post subject: Re: Use of drones/quadcopters illegal in KTP ?
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:46 pm 

Quote:
Would like comments to get clarification on this as I somewhere on the forum read that these are illegal to use in KTP by visitors.

Please see KTP's Park Rules/Park Regulations
Quote:
The use of drones inside (and over) our national parks is strictly prohibited.

and also Drone Photography in SANParks, Jan.dup.

edited to add quote.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:58 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

:sup: What next? :big_eyes:

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:50 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi jan.dup,

I was the unfortunate visitor that had to endure the noise coming from the drone during filming of above video and at that time no rule was formulated yet. It was not authorized by the park officials, but as you know Rooiputs is on Botswana side.

In the email reply I have received from Jan Kriel he said that under no circumstances visitors or staff are allowed to use drones within a National Park and arrangements was made to discuss the matter with the Botswana authorities.

Since this incident the rule is on the website page of KTP, but if it is in the rules handed out at reception I do not know, because some-one used a drone in Nossob camp without any restrictions in July. :wall: :wall: :wall: How was possible that the park personnel did not stopped the person from flying I am not sure :big_eyes: . A drone makes a lot of noise and it must have been heard from the office side.

It will therefor be interesting to know what is the answer on your question 4, because after the rule came out it was even used in a main camp.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:42 pm 

Thanks for the links to info Mathys.

Thanks Son godin for sharing the experiences and subsequent incidents highlighted. To be quite honest, and in my humble opinion, I feel that people that use these in such places for their own pleasure are extremely self centered and inconsiderate. For me it is common sense not to do this - imagine for example if "just" 10 visitors in Nossob use this at the same time - it's ridiculous !!!!!!

I would strongly recommend that whenever such an incident occur, we immediately report that to the Sanparks Officials in charge at that specific camp, or the nearest camp. I would also take a video or photo thereoff as proof - as I have done in the past with visitors breaking the rules. I found the Park Officials dealt with the problem Visitor accordingly in the instances I reported (with evidence). I would also recommend hefty fines, and if a recurrence happens a ban of such a individual from that specific park. I would also like to see this as a standard information item on all entry documents if not already so. The items that is mostly mentioned by staff when entering the Park is the speed limit and the tyre pressure (which I really appreciate) - and would ask if they can seriously consider adding this to that list - this will spoil everything that the park is all about for me, and I believe 99.9% of all visitors.

This is seriously ridiculous :( behaviour.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:56 am 

Son godin wrote:
Hi jan.dup,

I was the unfortunate visitor that had to endure the noise coming from the drone during filming of above video and at that time no rule was formulated yet. It was not authorized by the park officials, but as you know Rooiputs is on Botswana side.

In the email reply I have received from Jan Kriel he said that under no circumstances visitors or staff are allowed to use drones within a National Park and arrangements was made to discuss the matter with the Botswana authorities.

Since this incident the rule is on the website page of KTP, but if it is in the rules handed out at reception I do not know, because some-one used a drone in Nossob camp without any restrictions in July. :wall: :wall: :wall: How was possible that the park personnel did not stopped the person from flying I am not sure :big_eyes: . A drone makes a lot of noise and it must have been heard from the office side.

It will therefor be interesting to know what is the answer on your question 4, because after the rule came out it was even used in a main camp.

How did you stop from going to his campsite and breaking the b****y thing? :sniper:

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:05 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Jan.dup,

I agree 100%. We have not had to deal with drones in SA yet, but were annoyed by one in a. US Natl Park.

I also think that visitors should be notified when booking that drones are not permitted, hopefully then they won't even bring them along.

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:04 am 

cheetahlady wrote:
Jan.dup,

I agree 100%. We have not had to deal with drones in SA yet, but were annoyed by one in a. US Natl Park.

I also think that visitors should be notified when booking that drones are not permitted, hopefully then they won't even bring them along.

I tried to share this with a friend who is going to Rooiputs but the video seems to have been removed?? Whatever. but I find people who post their inappropriate videos often bottle out when challenged by people on the forums who really care about those wild places. Remember the people in Central Kalahari with their chain saw? :sniper: :naughty: ha ha

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:03 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I found this interesting blog on the use of drones in parks today. It happened in Chobe NP, but just as relevant to our parks and clearly showing that park authorities will not allow it. Thank you Paul for publishing the blog on drones and giving insight from some-one who used it in a park.

http://www.wildweb.co.za/blog/drones-and-wildlife/

Quote:
Drones and Wildlife

Posted by : Paul ChanguionSeptember 5, 2014 80 views  0

We find ourselves in “The Age of the Drone.” An exciting time, but one also tinged with risk.

The age of drone usage has provided a means to obtain great aerial footage and has now become available to the masses.

A recent event in the Chobe National Park provided me with the opportunity to use one myself. It is an amazing machine and great for “lodge photography” as it gives you the ability to show off how these fantastic properties are built and set in beautiful settings, from a birds-eye-view.

Here’s what happened:

We were at a 1 day old lion – buffalo kill on Harvey’s pan inside the park where I took the decision to see if we could get some footage using a drone. As the drone flew towards the lions a few of them got up and moved off the kill and away. Of course we retracted the drone immediately and put it down as we realised it had disturbed the lions. There were some tourists watching the lions too and they witnessed the incident which had a negative impact on their safari experience too.

The situation quickly escalated as the very diligent National Parks staff arrived on the scene and requested that I come into their office for a meeting. They expressed their own displeasure at the fact that I had used the drone. We concluded that it was poor judgment on my part and that this is not something that should be done.

We collectively decided that it would be a good idea to try and share my experience on our blog so that we too can hopefully impart our learnings with others and educate those who are thinking of doing the same.

In a nut shell, these are my findings about using drones in the wilderness:
•A drone sounds like a swarm of bees and lots of wildlife do not like bees at all and are made skittish by the sound. In fact, in Kenya they are trying to use bees to keep elephants away from areas where they are creating damage. The drone sound does disturb wildlife.
•A bonus to using the drone is that it can get closer to animals than the pilot would be comfortable with doing personally. However, drones do disturb some animals and hence should not be used.
•The noise pollution element of drone usage makes it inconsiderate to use them around others enjoying the serenity of the African bushveld.
•Because drones have quite a long range you can fly them very high and this too can be dangerous from an aviation perspective.

Do drones have a place in wildlife areas and if so what are the positives?

I think some of the potential positives are:
•You can program drones to fly waypoint routes. This could prove to be a very efficient way to help in the fight against poaching as the footage of open areas will show where the poachers are based. This would have to be managed by the anti-poaching units in place, working with the game management authorities in the area.
•Drones could assist in game census counting and locating animals for game management purposes. It could be an affordable method in this area of wildlife management.
•If there is flooding in certain areas, drone aerial footage can be used as a preventative method to detect where there is vulnerability on the landscape and can help manage flooded areas.

My perspective on using drones for wilderness photography:

If I were to impart any pearls of wisdom on that matter, based on my recent experience, I would say, don’t do it!

It is such new technology that there is no way of telling how animals will react to a drone. In a race to always find footage that is different and will grab the attention of online users we have to always be very careful about how our methods impact on animals and people around us during that process.

Advice to other photographer’s who’d like to make use of drone photography? I’d suggest to always ask experts around you who understand the specific area you are working in to share their concerns about what effects the use of the drone could have there. This technology is going to evolve very fast and specific laws about the usage will definitely tighten.

Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:58 pm 

I saw this video recently. Posted on the Kgalagadi sightings page on Facebook. I complained
And the person who posted it sad it was taken prior to drones being banned in the KTP. Think it was taken down after that.