Skip to Content

Travel from Gharagab to Twee Rivieren

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld

Moderator: hilda

HawkI007

Travel from Gharagab to Twee Rivieren

Unread postby HawkI007 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:43 am

Hi

Another website on the Gharagab campsite page says "it is not possible to travel between Gharagab and Twee Rivieren in a day.

How true or realistic is this?

We plan to do this trip on our last day in the park, we will be staying at TR and then travelling back to JHB the next day.

Thanks...
Last edited by barryels on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: commercial website removed.

Oubaas1

Re: Travel from Gharagab to Twee Rivieren

Unread postby Oubaas1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Hawk
According to my map the average driving time between Nossob and Twee Rivieren is 4h and between Nossob and Gharagab is 3h30min. The gate times of June/July allows for 10h30min driving time. :thumbs_up:
Enjoy
Oubaas1

HawkI007

Unread postby HawkI007 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:01 pm

Thanks Oubaas - I am going with your line of thinking.

I am sorry for splitting hairs here but It seems a bit strange to me that you can travel between Twee Rivieren and Grootkolk in 7½ hrs but not Gharagab (which is pretty similar distance) Is the Gharagab road that bad?

http://www.sanparks.co.za/parks/kgalagadi/tourism/general.php says:
NB: Visitors must allow for the following travelling time from Twee Rivieren entrance gate, to the other camps:
Nossob - 4½ hours
Grootkolk - 7½ hours
Gharagab - Not possible in one day

barryels
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby barryels » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:16 pm

HawkI007,

To give you an indication of the distance from Gharagab to Twee Rivieren, it is 275 Km.

I also think it is doable because I did the trip from Gharagab to Mata-Mata at an average speed of 30kph.

I cannot detect when you will be visiting KTP but I would suggest that you leave Gharagab at gate opening time to make sure that you reach TR :thumbs_up: .

Another tip is that the earlier you leave the easier the drive over the dunes will be that is quite high on your excit :thumbs_up: .

NB: Visitors must allow for the following travelling time from Twee Rivieren entrance gate, to the other camps:
Nossob - 4½ hours
Grootkolk - 7½ hours
Gharagab - Not possible in one day

The fact that you cannot drive from TR to Gharagab in one day is the fact that that you will have to drive north till about 3km from Union's end and then another 32Km dune road to get to Gharagab. The exit road is approximately 79km less :thumbs_up: .
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015 Please Vote Now!!!

HawkI007

Unread postby HawkI007 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Thanks - that makes perfect sense...

Looking forward to my first visit to the park. I will be in the park between the 30th Aug and the 6th Sept
KTC
Urikaruus
Gharagab
TR.

barryels
FAC Member (2013)

Unread postby barryels » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:40 am

HawkI007,

With your current itinerary, I have to warn you that you must start planning your next trip already because the red sand of Gharagab will hypnotize you and you will never be the same after visiting that camp :dance: :dance:.

The same goes for KTC and Urikaruus :thumbs_up: .

Enjoy the trip and hope we will read about the visit on the forums :thumbs_up: .
Always be humble and understanding
Join the VHR Fundraising project: VHR Prestige Golf Day 2015
Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015 Please Vote Now!!!

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:50 am

I think the reason they say TR to Gharagab is not doable in a day is because the "in" 4x4 track goes off the main road much further north than the "out" 4x4 track.

We did Gharagab to Kieliekrankie very comfortably within time and TR is not much further. Just make sure you leave as soon as allowed and don't linger too long at any sightings, and you should be fine.
Paul Kruger Gate (day visitor) 24-28 August 2015
Skukuza 14-18 October 2015
Satara 18-21 October 2015

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:56 pm

The 4x4 exit route from Gharagab to Nossob river will take about 1,5 hours (30 km). Did it twice in more or less the same time and don't think you can do it much faster as it is a 4x4 track. This road connect to the main Nossob - UE road a few km north of Leijersdraai (Grootkolk is ~ 27 km north).

The time from this connection to Nossob will be ~ 2,5 hours (90 km) and then a further 4,5 hours to Twee Rivieren (160 km). In total 8,5 hours driving at average speed below 40 km/h.

You can easily do it in the summer arriving TR at 14:00 and in the winter at 16:00. I will not recommend doing in winter (June - July), because getting stuck on the dunes or a flat tyre are possibilities that can hold you back. However, still doable and in case of such emergencies the park will understand if you are slightly late. :wink:

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Son godin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Hippotragus wrote:I think the reason they say TR to Gharagab is not doable in a day is because the "in" 4x4 track goes off the main road much further north than the "out" 4x4 track.

We did Gharagab to Kieliekrankie very comfortably within time and TR is not much further. Just make sure you leave as soon as allowed and don't linger too long at any sightings, and you should be fine.

Agree on the not possible from TR to Gharagab.

It will be about 11 hours without stops (must stop to get fuel at Nossob) to get from TR to Gharagab. We took about 2,5 hours from UE to Gharagab.

HawkI007

Unread postby HawkI007 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks very much.

Return to “Arid Parks”