Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: KGALAGADI - Questions and Answers
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:04 am 

Wish I could do this in Afrikaans...... :?

This will be a first in Kgalagadi for us. We were invited to a seminar in Upington somewhere in Sept / Oct (the date will be finalised on our acceptance of invitation and our reservations at KTP). It looks like it will be after the 10th of October...

We normally camp with caravan in Kruger (affordable holidays for larger families). Family of 6 (2 older children, 2 younger), but don't think travelling this long distance with caravan (is a 1974-model). Alternative will be tents and trailer, but it's a small Venter-like luggage trailer, nothing big and camping-ish. Won't it be very hot for camping in Oct? For us on the farm October seems to be the driest and hottest time of the year.... (Springbok Flats, Limpopo)

Or should we rather ransack the purse and rob the budget to be able to afford the family cottage or chalet?

As to the roads in KTP. We travel with a Toyota Fortuner 3D, but not 4x4. It does a diff lock though. Will it be OK for travelling in the park? What about going Botswana side?

I've seen a lot of mention about the road from Leeuwdril northwards, suppose it will be open in October? But then Rooiputs were mentioned - I don't see any road via Leeuwdril to Rooiputs on the map of KTP on the web?

If going for the chalets, do they have aircon?

Anything that I should know, that maybe is different from camping in Kruger?

I do feel rather like a newbie, a lot of uncertainty (feels like the first time we went caravaning in Kruger).... please bear with me.

Thank you

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:47 am 

Huisvrou, for the sake of our fellow forumites, I will respond in English as well, to your questions which I will be able to answer to some extend:

Quote:
Alternative will be tents and trailer, but it's a small Venter-like luggage trailer, nothing big and camping-ish.

Reaching KTP (Twee Rivieren camp) with a normal trailer is no problem as the road is now tar all the way.

Quote:
Won't it be very hot for camping in Oct?

I am sure you should still be fine as long as it is early in Oct.

Quote:
As to the roads in KTP. We travel with a Toyota Fortuner 3D, but not 4x4. It does a diff lock though. Will it be OK for travelling in the park?

On the main park roads you should be fine as long as you avoid the 4x4 trails

Quote:
What about going Botswana side?

AFAIK, they do not allow you on the Botswana side without a 4x4.

Quote:
I've seen a lot of mention about the road from Leeuwdril northwards, suppose it will be open in October?

According to feedback I received from them, the road is scheduled to be re-opened end March 2011.

Quote:
But then Rooiputs were mentioned - I don't see any road via Leeuwdril to Rooiputs on the map of KTP on the web?

There is a road from the Rooiputs waterhole (north of Leeudril) to the Rooiputs camp - I am sure you will be able to negotiate this with your Fortuner if you can do a bit of sand driving and deflate your tyres - which you should in any event do for all the KTP roads - about 1.2 bar.

Quote:
Anything that I should know, that maybe is different from camping in Kruger?

KTP is in many ways different than the KNP. Take some bottled water with as the water does not taste too good. We normally take our own meat, basic groceries, and some fire wood for at least the first 2 nights as stocks in the shops are sometimes limited and taking some time to replenish due to the distance from Upington. Take some decent tent pegs and a decent heavy hammer as the ground in some camps are quite tough! Blue 3 prong plug and a long extension cord is essential as you will not always find a camping spot close to an electricity point - camping spots are not numbered.

I hope this helps to an extend. I am sure other forumites will contribute more to make your first stay in KTP one that you will never forget.

Regards

Blackie.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:50 am 
@Huisvrou
you will be able to travel on the main roads off the park with 4x2 ,not to Botswana however. For any 4x4 route you must pre book. Other wise you are not permitted to travel on any other road than the main roads.Hope this answer your question.
Please do enjoy your stay.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:28 pm 

Hi Huisvrou

Just to let you know we towed our older model caravan to KTP a couple of times before the road was tarred. Had to keep cupboards closed with bungy chord. Tarred road has made a huge difference.
:)

NO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:17 pm 

Thanks everyone for the quick and thorough answers. Will definitely post some more when time comes closer.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:45 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Huisvrou - you asked about aircons in the chalets - all the chalets at Twee Rivieren have aircons (some work better than others :roll: ) but the cottages at Nossob and Mata Mata only have a ceiling fan in the main bedroom area - N and MM do not have electricity and run off generators which get switched off at around 11 in the evening and go on again around 5 or 5.30 the next morning so your fan automatically goes off at 11 and then the cottages become like a sauna :evil: - we were there in Oct last year and I've never been so hot in my entire life at night - the windows don't have bug-screens on them so opening the windows at night is a bit risky as you do get all kinds of interesting goggas coming to visit.

My kids and I were there for a week in Jan this year and my son camped at Nossob while my daughter and I had a 2 bed chalet and he was about 10 degrees cooler at night !!!!

We have also towed an elderly caravan to the park a few years ago with no problems - which camps are you looking at staying in ??

Otherwise ENJOY - it is an amazing place !

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:11 am 

Scouter
So hot it will be hot....
We aren't sure about which camps to go to? We are not "people"-people and prefer to be a bit apart from the rest. That is why we prefer going out of season too.

I thought, if staying in the chalets, to do 2 nights at each camp. But if caravaning that would be ridiculous...

So, let's hear what all the forumites would say. For a first timer in KTP which camp will suit us? We prefer quieter camps. Preferably some shade for the caravan, and some good sightings :wink: will be great!!

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:17 am 
Guru
Guru

Huisvrou,

Sept /Oct we are quite busy so to get away from it all then you want to be in a wilderness camp.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:10 am 

hEllo..
We are visiting Rooiputs this July..I was just wondering what lion prides we have to look out for?? :dance:
I'm not sure if Scar(male lion)is in that area... :hmz:

I cant wait... :D :dance:

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:21 am 
Guru
Guru

Good Morning,

Currently there are two fairly large male lions walking the Rooiputs area and they do walk into the camp now and then, so you can be on the lookout for them.
There are also some Cheetah which covers the area between Rooiputs and Kij Kij, and a large male leopard which is also seen in the campsite frequently.

Hope it helps

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:50 pm 

Hi there**
Thanx alot for your reply
Yes it definitely helps...I cant wait anymore..i realy hope that we get some lion visitors in the camp :pray: and maybee even a leopard...

Will the road between TR and rooiputs be open by then??because the best thing in the morning to do is go for a drive and look for signs of the previous nights activity... :dance:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:52 am 
Guru
Guru

I do hope that the road will be open by then, if not you can always drive the Botswana road which is just as productive.

I will try and find out from the contractors how long they will still be busy on the road.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:10 am 

Rooiputs?
Is that on Botswana side?
Do you need passport and all the vehicle registration papers etc to go there?

Or is this only the Rooiputs waterhole you are referring to?

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:40 am 
Guru
Guru

@Huisvrou,

We refer to Rooiputs campsite on the Botswana side; you will need passports and vehicle papers to go there. The waterhole is on the S.A. side and due to the road closure you will not be able to drive on the S.A. side of the road BUT the waterhole is visible from the Botswana road; you will have to look carefully to see the waterhole due to the long grass

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:33 pm 

Hi Kgalagadi Guru**

Thanx again for the reply...
I hope the road is open but its also nice to drive on the smaller road...you see everything diffrently..
:dance:
All that made me wish that the main road was open last was that while we were driving on the smaller road..we saw a lion walking towards the main road....but the weird thing was that when it come over a dune it walked in front of a group of Springbok..and the springbok chased the lion...he was very weak and we could easily see his ribs...it was so sad :cry:
I wonder what happed to the poor guy????

Thanx for the help...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 31  Next