Skip to Content

Kgalagadi- Questions and Answers

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld

Moderator: hilda

pedro maia

Re: Kgalagadi- Questions and Answers

Unread postby pedro maia » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Is it a stupid idea to think about visiting the park for let´s say 3 days but staying outside the park?

With the bats problem I don´t stand a chance to try and plan a trip sleeping inside (I would be a dead man) and browsing the internet I found the Molopo Lodge, which seems to have a decent standard and I think is a little less then 1 hour from the gate.

Of course this would bring some limitations, for example on the places I could reach during a day trip inside the park and I would miss the night atmosphere of the park, but I´m sure it´s that or nothing.

Anyone did this?

Opinions are more than welcome...

Dotty
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Dotty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:17 pm

I am sure you know the system mites :wink: If you have some info for staying out side of the park please PM pedro maia Thank you
KUDU's mean Well done and Thank you

pedro maia

Unread postby pedro maia » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:32 pm

Dotty wrote:I am sure you know the system mites :wink: If you have some info for staying out side of the park please PM pedro maia Thank you

I didn´t mean to break any forum rule, sorry if I did it :wink: .

My question is not about that (or any other) lodge, is about the idea of visiting the park staying outside.

Dotty
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Dotty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:44 pm

No problem Pedro just a little reminder to all not to advertise non-SANParks accommodation
KUDU's mean Well done and Thank you

charbel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby charbel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:45 pm

pedro maia wrote:Is it a stupid idea to think about visiting the park for let´s say 3 days but staying outside the park?

With the bats problem I don´t stand a chance to try and plan a trip sleeping inside (I would be a dead man) and browsing the internet I found the Molopo Lodge, which seems to have a decent standard and I think is a little less then 1 hour from the gate.

I thought the bats problem was gone. Are there still problems with bats in KTP?

Cheers
Charbel

Chickadee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Chickadee » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:19 am

You'll be happy to know the bats aren't having any more problems. The humans are staying elsewhere!! :clap:

jan.dup

Unread postby jan.dup » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:56 am

pedro maia - I still strongly recommend and urge you to stay/book inside the Park - you wouldn't be sorry, that I can promise you.

1. If you don't Camp :
I have stayed numerous times in all the accommodation types in KTP, and never had any bats inside, or for that matter, any bat problems in the accommodation at Kalahari Tented Camp, Mata-Mata, Nossob, Grootkolk, Gharagab and Kieliekrankie (and !Xaus)

2. If you Camp:
Just keep your tents closed and you can stay anywhere without them bats bothering you at all.

It's just a million times better that way :dance: :dance:

pedro maia

Unread postby pedro maia » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:27 pm

jan.dup wrote:pedro maia - I still strongly recommend and urge you to stay/book inside the Park - you wouldn't be sorry, that I can promise you.

1. If you don't Camp :
I have stayed numerous times in all the accommodation types in KTP, and never had any bats inside, or for that matter, any bat problems in the accommodation at Kalahari Tented Camp, Mata-Mata, Nossob, Grootkolk, Gharagab and Kieliekrankie (and !Xaus)

2. If you Camp:
Just keep your tents closed and you can stay anywhere without them bats bothering you at all.

It's just a million times better that way :dance: :dance:

Thanks for the input, but as I say in the bat thread it´s not an option, if I ever go i´ll stay outside the park so I´m trying to know if it´s "doable" or not.

jelico60

Unread postby jelico60 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi

I am having a minor panic about our first Kgalagadi trip - fear of bats! The more i read in the forums about their presence inside accommodation the more worried i become. Love them when watching them outside but the thought of sharing a room with one terrifies me. Know i should be more worried about other critters but this is an irrational fear. Stayed many many times in Kruger and other wilder places and never had a close encounter - and want to keep it that way!

Any suggestions on how to cope welcomed. Wondering about using a mossie net to keep them away while i sleep? Have found some light weight self supporting nets that might do the trick but might also make matters worse if a bat were to get tangled in it. What to do? Know you guys will have some good advice........... :thumbs_up:

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:08 pm

It is not all units jel.

THey do not like the smell of chlorine evidently, so pellets placed on rafters might be ofhelp.

As has been stated, open your dooors & windows at dusk when the y fly out to feed, and close them afterwards.
Keep your front door closed and only open it to go in or out.

They are very small bats and are terrified of humans.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:55 pm

Plus the problem only seems to be in the summer months. In winter they tend to hibernate?
Nominations are now open for the Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2015

merops

Unread postby merops » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:11 pm

I have some questions following my recent trip to Kgaligadi.
1. We noticed many Eland carcasses lying around waterholes and never really got a satisfactory answer from people we asked - the answers ranging from "they were all killed by lions" to "they died because of the water", can anyone shed any light on the matter.
2. In comparison to our trip in April 2011 when we saw many tsamma melons we didn't see one on this trip. Is this because of the late rains?
3. There also seemed to be a lot more jackal around and wondered if this was just our perception? We noticed two jackal going for, and we think killing, a springbok lamb at Mata Mata, not nice to see but a good meal for the jackal!
Thanks in anticipation for the answers :D

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Here goes merops

1. Eland migrate to the SA side in the summer and a lot were killed by lions because ther were at the waterholes, in fact too many to eat. The survivvors are now back in Bots.
2. Depends onthe rainfall.
3. There are a lot of jackal in KTP, and they also go where there is food.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

kittykat23uk

Unread postby kittykat23uk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:04 am

Hi,

I am looking at late August or early September for a trip to KTP, this is to combine with some diving in Mozambique. So probably just for a week at most, I expect all the wilderness camps will be booked up by now so looking to stay in the main camps.

I realise this is not the best time of year, but timing is dictated by the humpback whale migration in Moz. My other thoughts are either back to Kruger and Sabi sand or, well not entirely sure. But I have been to Kruger twice now so thought it would be good to try somewhere else.

What do you folks think? What could I realistically hope to see at this time of year, particularly the special animals you get there and not in Kruger, like gemsbok, brown hyena, meerkat, birds (i understand that i wouldnt see many of the migrant raptors at this time of year) and general cat action?

Many thanks!

gatita
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2014)

Unread postby gatita » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:42 am

Hi kittykat23uk,

we went to KTP in september 2012. I think, it is as usual - right time, right place.

You will defenitely see gemsboks and springboks.

We saw meerkats on several occasions, brown hyenas, many wild cats, caracals, mating lions, cheetahs, leopard, cape foxes, bat eared foxes. ..

We did not see migratory raptors, but we had many sightings of PCG, tawny, lanner falcon, pygmy falcon, verreaux's and spotted eagle-owls, bateleur, martial eagle, kori bustard, secretary bird and of course the general birds.

It is defenitely worth it to go in september, but be prepared, it is rather cold at night.
March 2015 KZN or?
November 2015 KTP
Going to the Northern Cape - KTP

Return to “Arid Parks”