Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: KGALAGADI - Questions and Answers
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:45 am 

Stayed at Bitterpan on my first trip. If you have a decent 4x4 and tyres are deflated to correct pressure you should be ok. Just make sure that you drive from the beginning in 4x4 and don't wait till you get stuck before engaging 4x4.

You will be ok. :lol:

31st-2nd Jan Mata Mata

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:21 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
You definitely need a 4x4 to get to Bitterpan. One of you will have to concentrate on driving more than watching for game.

For a 3 night visit, you will only then get to decide on your favourite routes etc without needing to do the Bitterpan experience. If you were there for a week I would advise differently perhaps.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:07 am 

Location: England, previously Rietvlei, Natal - hankering to be back in KTP
A suggestion regarding Bitterpan - should not all those going to Bitterpan have to have their tyre pressures checked before they leave Nossob? On the two trips we have made to Bitterpan, we have helped two vehicles we found stuck in the sand and it appeard that their tyres had not been let down to cope. I realise this is extra work for the staff, but it could save a catastrophe. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:16 am 
Guru
Guru

@expat,

I agree fully with you that when leaving Nossob to go to Bitterpan you should make sure that tyres are deflated.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:52 pm 

Hi KG,

A question if I may.

Are spotlights allowed to be used in the park to look for game at night? The gazillion candle power ones people use in Nossob's hide? I know you guys use them on your nightdrives.
But my question; what effect if any does this extreme light have on the animal/birds eyes?
Secondly, are there any moral issues? One night in the Nossob hide, a guy actually asked around if people minded if he used his spotlight. Very considerate I thought.
I must say when I'm in the hide at night I just want to enjoy the quietness of the night and a spotlight seems to break the spell somehow. Its different to using spotlight on a night drive i feel.
Thanks KG; and maybe others can share their opinions.

[color=#008000]

Birthdays are good for you - the more you have, the longer you live!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

If I may butt in here and voice my opinion ...

Please do correct me if I am wrong , but I have observed this when present during the culling of impala in a private reserve adjoining the Kruger , and I have also read that spotlights tend to blind the animals momentarily if shone in the eyes , it may cause the animal to freeze whereupon a predator may notice its unusual behaviour and stalk and make a kill due to the antelopes temporary incapacity to see .

Personally I find them irritating most of the time as injudicious use of them at a hide or camp spoils the ambience of the occasion .

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:31 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Agreed ndloty! I am if possible even more extreme than you are, I am against using them anywhere anytime :wink: Only the moon :whistle:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:44 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
I use mine at a hide, but sparingly and I check with others.

I always try not to shine directly on the animal(s), but get them in the 'glow'.
Sometimes it enhances photography.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:19 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Bush Baptist wrote:
I use mine at a hide, but sparingly and I check with others.

I always try not to shine directly on the animal(s), but get them in the 'glow'.
Sometimes it enhances photography.

I agree here BB.
A touchy topic this. Imagine what a night drive would be like with nobody panning the area to look for something...what would the point be :huh:
I think what gets peoples backs up is the inconsideration of some, be it shining spotlights or even noise in a hide.

I wonder if it would help if an information notice was placed in the hide highlighting some "hide etiquette".
One may argue that guests don't always read, however if it is pointed out to them and you request they read it, there can be no unpleasant argument.
If one then encountered any inconsideration you always have the backup by referring them to the notice. :hmz:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:28 pm 

Feel free to post questions here related to the park, if I can not answer then immediately there will be other forumites which will be able to assist.

Thanks[/quote]

You are going to be soooo sorry you made this offer because I'm a 1st timer to Kgalagadi and have many questions ;-) Thank you so much for offering your knowledge and experience with us.

We are going to Kgalagadi during mid June 2011. Currently our itenary looks as follows;
14 June - Twee Rivieren
15-16 June - Nossob
17 June - Twee Rivieren

We are going to camp with our tent. Could you advice please on the weather conditions during this period, what can we expect and what should we take i.t.o bedding, clothes? Another question and please bear with me on this one; given a choice of travelling with either of the following vehicles;
(a) BMW X3 3.0 diesel with roofrack but no All terrain tyres
(b) Toyota Hilux 3.0d 4x2 with diff lock, single cab with all terrain tyres...

Which vehicle would you recommend we use for the Kgalagadi?

Would we be able to go to Rooiputs with either of these vehicles? If we would be able to visit Rooiputs, whom do I contact to make a booking for Rooiputs? I saw that you book in at the Botswana desk at Twee Rivieren but you don't book via SANPARKS?

Thank you so much again.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:49 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2012)
Hey Bufffreak,

You don't scare us with questions. Us KTP goers are tough, not like Kruger wimps.

Camping in June could be interesting. -12 has been quoted in the past. Even I would recommend an electric blanket or 2 :roll:

Take the Hilux. The road to Nossob is 'cut' out of the riverbed and you cannot see over in a sedan. Rooiputs is controlled by Bots - not SANP. See KG's post for details.

That was easy, any more?

Take your own drinking water, stock up at Upington, the shop at Nossob is basic, but 2R is well stocked - at a price.

No buffs I am afraid, but enough good stuff to get you coming back. If you are not a birder, get started, you are going to raptor hreaven.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:08 pm 
Guru
Guru

@Buffalofreak

As BB mentioned....It does get VERY cold during June although on the other hand during the day we walk around in shorts the day temperature is very nice. Warm clothes would be a MUST.

I would also go with the Toyota Hilux and you will be able to get to Rooiputs in both vehicles. If you are interested in booking for Rooiputs you will have to do it through Botswana, their details are :
+ 267 318 0774 or email dwnp@gov.bw.

Hope it helps if there are motre questions just let us know.

KG

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:52 pm 

I think you've answered my questions for now ;-) The Toyota, :hmz: My SO is going to be thrilled about his 'van' as preferred mode of transport as opposed to my 'supervan' as we call them. You do realize it is 4x2 and not 4x4? Just checking. Oh well, I'll have to give him the good news - even if it means with a red face :redface:

Yes, I've defnitely planned for electric blanket - had a similar freezing experience at Marakele NP and my blankie saved our hiny's.

Thank you so much for the tips and advice - MUCH appreciated.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:30 pm 
Guru
Guru

Pleasure no problem.

Let us know if there is anything else.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:52 am 

Last night we planned and discussed our KTP trip over a beer and braai and we do have more questions if you don't mind please. My friend is expecting more or less the same bush experience as Mannapools in Zim - the Mozzies and Hyenas gave them a hard time and very little sleep. The additional questions please;

1) What doc's do we need to go to Rooiputs? Passports? Vehicle Registration papers etc.?

2) Where do we exchange SA rand for Pula in order to pay for Rooiputs? As I understand they have booked us but we pay at the entrance gate and SA rand is not accepted. Is there a facility at TR where we can exchange?

3) Our 1st night is at TR, from there we move to Nossob (15&16.06) - can we get our paperwork ready the 1st day at TR and head to Rooiputs directly from Nossob or do we have to report to TR again and then turn back to Rooiputs?

4) OK, so Puffies, Scorpions and Shongololos have already been mentioned as campmates - i.t.o wildlife, what else should we expect? Lions/Hyena tying to steal our rump of the braai?

5) Fire wood? Where do we stock up?

6) Can we enter KTP via Hotazhell and VanZylsrus? Do we have to take the detour via Upington?

I just want to say thank you again for taking the time to answer my questions (some stupid as they are :redface: ) so patiently.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 31  Next