Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Kgalagadi: Getting there via Vanzylsrus
Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:24 pm 

Has anybody driven the gravel road via Vanzylsrus lately?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:26 pm 

Hi Guys

We did it two weeks ago I think it's a great road.

We were persuaded not to take the dirt road from Kuruman, through Vanzylsrus, to TR but on our way home from KTP we decided to throw caution to the wind & try this route.
It turned out to be really nice. Obviously not a brilliant idea in a sedan but they are busy tarring this road west from Kuruman towards Vanzylsrus / TR so it’s now only about 150km’s of dirt outside TR & it’s not too badly corrugated (the park roads are far worse) and with a 4x4 or SUV & tyres deflated to 1.6bar, it’s a very pleasant & scenic drive. It also cuts about 2 hours off the total TR / JHB trip time.

I found this route much more scenic & pleasant compared to the road between Upington & TR.

Hope this helps

Nats x

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:45 pm 

Road is good , can b travelled with a sedan

Canon 7D Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM-Canon 100-400 IS USM F4.5-Canon 28 - 135 is -Sigma 24mm f1.8 MACRO-Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM-Canon EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM-Canon EF 2X II Extender-Canon EF 1.4 Extender

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:33 am 
This is a great road to travel....see it as part of your holiday and not just a way to reach you destination. The best guys to contact re the condition of the road is the SAPS on Vanzylsrus....they are very helpful.
You can look at the first part of my Nov trip report to get an idea of what this road entails.
Jumbo and SO in Kgalagadi: Nov 2007

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:59 am 

Greetings,
had a similar response when posing the question re: road condition on another board. Route via Vanzyls variously described as an axle breaker, warning also that this should not be attempted solo etc.

The prospect of this route on again, this for our forthcoming June'08 trip, question remains regarding avail. of camping accommodation somewhere along that stretch (beyond Kuruman). Basic amenities would be alright, hot & cold running tomato sauce, not a requirement! Any suggestions most welcome.

Mike_R

Post subject: Re: Kgalagadi: Getting there via Vanzylsrus
Unread postPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:47 pm 

Location: England, previously Rietvlei, Natal - hankering to be back in KTP
Can anyone tell me waht the road is like now from TR to Kuruman? We will be travelling to TR the conventional way (via Upington) but need to get to JHB on the way back and thought this might be a better route. In 'the good old days' it was a real bone shaker and the Windhoek Lager was very welcome at the end of the trip. Have heard that it is now tarred but would love confirmation. 263 sleeps to go!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:04 am 

Did the road in December and again in late April. From Askham it's 200km of dirt (sometimes not good dirt), which you can do at 80 - 90 km/h. If it's speed you want go via Upington.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:07 pm 

We travelled that road on 05th May'09, coming back from KTP. I can truely recommend it.

We actually found two graders on that road. Immediately after going past Ashkam, the road was very badly corrugated, but approx 10 - 15km further on we found signs of the first grader.

If the grader has past only one way, one has a tendency to drive on the smooth, freshly graded surface. This could happen that you then drive on the wrong side of the road. This happened to us when one of the locals travelled on the wrong side of the road.

Approx 55km outside of Van Zylsrus going towards Hotazel, the gravel road ends and becomes tar. Shortly after starting on the tar road, we encountered two herds of Kudu cows about 5km apart, standing next to the road.

Post subject: Kuruman to Ashkam
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:48 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

If anyone has recently travelled from Kuruman to Ashkam via Van Zylsrust on the dirt road I would appreciate an update on the condition of the road. I will not be in a hurry so it is not about how long but I do not want to loose tyres (I am driving a SUV)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Post subject: Re: Kuruman to Ashkam
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:07 am 
Guru
Guru

Tobieo

I would not suggest the Van Zyl's Rus road, after the latest rains we have had.....try and stay away from it. We do have people driving the road on a frequent basis and they have said that there is a part of the road which is good the rest of the road is horrible.

For safety sake rather do the Kuruman via Upington.

Drive Safe

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:21 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Thanks Jannie, I will only be using it on my return from KTP at the end of April, will check closer to the time if the road has been graded.

Any other info would be appreciated

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:25 pm 
Guru
Guru

I will try and find out in the meantime if the road will be graded or has been before your visit. Will keep you upated.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:49 pm 

Will be keeping on eye on this thread as we are due in KTP 25 Apr and are also interested in travelling this road

Bitterpan 2 - 4 Mar (might change)
KTC 4 - 7 Mar
TR 7 Mar

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:37 pm 

I will be travelling this stretch of road on Friday (25 March) and back on 28 March. Will post my impressions on the road condition when I get home on 30 March.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:34 am 

TobieO, this is also encouraging feedback. I also phoned a few farmers and decided to give it a go. I am leaving soon to spend tonight in Kuruman and hopefully tomorrow it is "plain sailing" and not "corrugated bumping" to Askham!! Will post when I get back.