Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Kgalagadi: !Xaus Lodge
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:28 pm 

I am just wondering about the new lodge(xaus lodge) in the kgalagadi... Is it abasically a private section concession of the park, ie are there fences between the park and the new Xaus lodge or not ? if anyone has a clue it would be much apprectiated.thanks.rob

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi lebrob, and welcome to the forums!

I hadn't heard of the Xaus Lodge until I saw your post, but I had noticed how there were areas marked "Mier Heritage Ground" and "SAN Heritage Ground" on the Map of KTP. These areas are on the south-west border of the park.

After some googling I found the Xaus Lodge website and an interesting article about the lodge .(removed non-working link) From the pictures on the websites, it looks very beautiful.

Peace Parks Foundation website wrote:
Of greater significance however is the spirit of reconciliation encapsulated by the name !Xaus. The lodge and its specific location is the positive outcome of a land settlement agreement reached between the South African Government and South African National Parks with the Khomani San and Mier communities to whom the land originally belonged before its incorporation in 1931 into the then Kalahari Gemsbok National Park.

This landmark agreement has allowed traditional communities to regain their dignity and ownership of the land of their ancestors. Their desire to ensure responsible tourism to this ancestral land has led them to enter into an innovative partnership with South African National Parks, who have retained responsibility for the management of its environmental integrity and with Transfrontier Parks Destinations, who have been appointed as the tourism managers of the lodge and its activities. The Khomani San and Mier, in their traditional spirit of community sharing, are now again able to welcome visitors to their own land and to share with them the magic aura of the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.

Judging from the KTP map and from the above, I would assume that it is a sort of concession - but on Heritage Ground not SANParks land. The implication to me is that there are no fences, and that SANParks is responsible for the environmental management of the land.

Hopefully one of the gurus (or someone else who knows) will be able to give more insight.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:48 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi

Have a read about !Xaus Lodge

Unfenced...and South African National Parks retain responsibility for the management of the environmental integrity of the area...

The way I understand it, it's a 3 way partnership between SANParks, Transfrontier Destinations and the Community.

Here's a map: Image

For some reason the brochure is distorting when I try and save it-but Glynn is happy to chat about the lodge with you and answer questions.

I'll be posting an accommodation page on the Kgalagadi Subsite for the lodge soon, as I do for all partners/concessionaires...There are lots of great pictures to post as well...

Dianne

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:34 pm 

Hi all

Has anybody stayed here and if so, what was it like? Do they have family units? Do you reach it by turning off the TR-Mata Mata road?

Any info would be welcome

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:05 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

I just had a look at their website and the map they have there indicates that the turn-off is at Rooibrak (between Montrose and Kamqua on the Mata Mata road). Now hit me over with bat-ear fox tail, but I can not remember that I saw it on our April visit to the park and I've driven 4 times past Rooibrak.

From the photos it look like something similar to Kielie Krankie but with more luxury accommodation.

I wonder if someone has stayed there before - meaning one of the forum members. Just funny that one hasn't seen anything about it in all the KTP trip reports.

A desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the world.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:07 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

the turn off is mark as "no entry" at rooibrak. When we were their in April we did saw one of their Safari vehicles, like the ones you get in KNP. They were taking clients on a day drive in the Aob road. I hope that this vehicles will not get as many as in KNP.

Post subject: meeting traditional bushmen
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:54 am 

Hi everyone!

we are young couple planning our first trip to Kgalagadi in March. We are interested in learning more about bushmen culture, having a close view on their traditions, skills and overall lifestyles. Does anyone know whether we can meet bushmen living a traditional lifestyle in the Kgalagadi? If so, where?

Thanks a lot,
Histvan

Post subject: Re: meeting traditional bushmen
Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:13 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

The khomani San can be visited close to the park. How authentic this experience is is open for discussion.

I stand to be corrected but I am afraid this ancient culture in its purist form is only alive in history books in Southern Africa, as most groups have been westernized to an extent.

I think there is a traditional family goup in a non-Sanpark in Botswana that has earned the right to continue their traditional lifestyle? Once again I'm not 100% sure of my facts.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:11 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

The only other place where this is possible is !Xaus Lodge -- see
http://www.sanparks.org/about/news/2007/july/kgalagadi.php

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:51 pm 

Thanks for the quick replies!
Christo, do you know the name of the non-Sanpark in Botswana
that you mentioned?
Thanks again.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:34 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Not christo, but I think he's referring to the Central Kalahari reserve and, as far as I know, you are not allowed to travel in it even from Botswana.
Can anyone confirm ?

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:37 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
I spend one day with Bushman, in the middle of Botswana (at the limits of the Kalahari), some years ago, it was a great day

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:51 pm 

Thanks p@m, thanks Anne-Marie.
Anne-Marie, how did you organize your day with the Bushman? Do you have any names or contacts?
Thanks!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:01 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the Year & Travel Tale of the Year, Other Parks (2013)
... I have to do research ... if you can wait... a little bit

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:13 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

I am so pleased that there are also others interested in the "Little People".
In their history they have never abused their surroundings. They only took what they needed, and were always thankfull for what they had.
Watching them do their little shuffling dance around the fire is truely an experience which one never forgets and their singing also lives on in your memory long afterwards . . . . . . .

What a wonderful privilege.