Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:12 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Thanks, Gvi Augrabies, also did this affect the black rhino population on the northern banks?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:25 am 

Yes and no.

The animals which were introduced into the park had to be moved to the remaining northern bank area or to the southern side of the park. So in that respect, they were effected.

On the other hand, it was determined that there are two subspecies of the black rhino: the eastern subspecies and the western subspecies. Turned out that the breeding program we used to have here consisted of the eastern subspecies, so it was decided to move that breeding program to Addo Elephant National Park. Meanwhile, once we acquire some land from one of the farms west of the park, we'll be able to finish the fencing of the western section in preparation for black rhino of the western subspecies. Don't know when this will be completed, but we're pushing to have this done by the end of next year. So though we currently have no black rhino in the park, the land claim didn't really effect that decision.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:04 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@ GVI Augrabies:

Coming from Kgalagadi, what might be the distance to the Augrabies? Is this doable by car w/in one day? I'd love to visit that place for a day or so.

Thx, Christel

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:19 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Christel

I had a look on the Mapsource software. Your best route is via Upington and it is about 374km. You will be able to do in one day. I would estimate, given some gravel roads about 5 hours, or less.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:17 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Christel, we have often driven from Augrabies to Twee Rivieren in one day. I love Augrabies - it's a very underrated park, with the most beautiful desert scenery!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:27 am 

Christel,

Just saw these posts, and you should definitely count on 5 hours from TR to AFNP. Plus, if you do grocery shopping in Upington along the way (much better selection than in Kakamas or here), figure that time in extra.

Nicky, the GVI Volunteer at TR, and I actually hiked the last day of the Klipspringer Hiking Trail, showered, and drove to TR all in one day. (I don't recommend adding a hike in the morning though, as we were quite tired by the time we got to TR.)

Augrabies Falls is definitely worth a visit! Of course, I am a little biased...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:59 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Christel, Augrabies Falls is definitely a must

GVIAugrabies, pleased to hear that Black Rhino will be returning at some point. Did the Black Rhino adventure a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, even it we didn't cross the river in the boat due to the flood waters.

Last edited by DebM on Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:36 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sandy, Black Rhino will be a Good attraction to the Park but nothing will compare to the Magical Waterfall

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:23 pm 

Mark,

Of course, you're completely right about that. But I must admit that I was so excited to finally complete my "Big Five" list by seeing the black rhino here. And then I was totally bummed out to discover that the breeding program had been moved!!! We get quite a few visitors who have older travel books that still talk about the breeding program here, and then they get quite upset when they find out we don't have any here right now. It will be so wonderful to have them back in the park again sometime soon. With that, though, they definitely won't take anything away from the waterfall!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:25 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sandy, how high is the main fall?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:40 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@GVIAugrabis
& Bouf

Thanks to both of you. I made some closer maths with the distances and routes and shall stay there for one night to enjoy all. It's better than just to rush by car from one point to the next.

Just convinced myself any my family to do a 14-instead of a 10-days trip to SA - Yippeee! Will see more under less time pressure. No matter where I go - the YR will be tied on my car, I hope to see some faces of this site down there to say Hello!

Can't wait to pack my things, really.... - need to look for a better cam, perhaps I will be able to produce some trip report

Christel

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:17 pm 

The distance we normally see the water falling is 56m. But the pool etched out under the waterfall is another 130m deep! Shame we only see the water falling 56m, but the river has to be almost completely dried up to see the full 186m...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:42 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Sandy,
plan is as fllws:
Oct. 06 - 07: TR
Oct. 07 - 12: KTP
Oct. 12 - 13: Augrabies
Oct. 13 - 16: Hazyview (Kruger)
Oct. 16 - 20: Private Lodge (Kruger) with friends

So, if I have one complete and relaxed day w/o time pressure in Augrabies, do you think it will be enough to enjoy having some nice views? I think it was Penny (?) showing a phantastic trip report about Augrabies, wonderful pics - I need to be there, and if it's only for one day!

Thanks for your help,
Christel

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:46 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi Christel,

Are you planning to drive from Augrabies to Hazyview in one day or are you flying from Upington? I hope you're doing the latter as driving from Augrabies to Hazyview is not really doable...

M.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:08 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

No. I will not go by car; just taking a relaxed flight from Upington - I'm trusting in what I've been told here. Enjoying a complete day in Augrabies from beginning to the end - leaving next day - that must be wonderful. I love walking, not beeing an Olympic runner like Mucho Mouse but, always on my feet: It surely is a discovery to walk around at Augrabies! Climb the rocks, walk around - if I only would know by now what camera I need! I really need advice, have to ask....

Christel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next