Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:32 pm 

Hi Edward,

The filming which took place in March was commisioned by the Northern Cape Tourism Board, most likely for a promotional movie on our province. I have no information about any of this footage being broadcasted on national television here. When any footage of the park is shown on television we will be made aware of this.

Interesing fact: one of the crews that came to film in our park was from the popular South African series "Going Nowhere Slowly". This was probably the crew that you saw during your stay.

Thanks for your question and welcome to the forum!

Rudolf

Post subject: Big party at Augrabies?
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:23 pm 

I see someone has booked a huge amount of accommodation for the weekend 15/16 August 2008! No less than 18 CH2/4's, 2 CH3's and all 6 FA4's are booked those days!

Which is unfortunate for me because you beat me to my reservation for an FA4 (and I submitted mine dead on the 1st Sept!).

So what's happening that weekend? And couldn't you spare one teensy-weensy little FA4! (only joking) .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:24 pm 

Game capture is generally legal, the animals get to live and is done by professionals; poaching is not quite as legal, the animals usually end up on a plate, but also often done by professionals. Hope you won't confuse the two

I'll look into the mystery August 2008 bookings.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:03 am 

After doing some sleuthing it appears that a tour company has booked most of our accomodations around that time, campsite included. Hope you will visit us on another date however!!

Post subject: Driving time to Upington airport
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:17 pm 

How long does it take to drive from the Augrabies camp to Upington airport please? Basically I want to know if I can stay the night in the park and then catch the 10am flight to Joburg the next morning. What time do the park gates open to let me out? (it will be a Saturday in August). I will need time at the airport to return rental vehicle, check in etc. so assume assume I should aim to arrive there soon after 8am?

Thanks, PnP.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:09 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

PnP,
Gate Hours: April to September: 06:30 – 22:00.
The airport is, 120km from Augrabies, haven't been for a few years, the roads were good from what I remember but I'm sure someone will have more up to date info.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:30 pm 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

We were there last year, and the roads are in good condition. So its about an hours drive, more or less. You should be able to make it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:03 pm 

Sorry for the late reply here, been away on holiday, but it's correct what the others have stated above: it will take you just over an hour to reach Upington from Augrabies in normal traffic. Do allow an extra 30min or so for some slow conditions if taking the morning flight as the roads can get a bit busy (for the Northern Cape anyway )

Normal gate hours are from 0700 till 1830. If you need to leave earlier please let our reception know in advance (at the very least on the day before departure).

Let me know if there's anything else!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:55 pm 

Does anyone know what is the water volume over the falls is like currently?
My SO is in Upington on business this week and said that the water in the Orange river is much higher than his previous visit and has risen significantly again today.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:52 am 

Well I was going to post a few dramatic pictures later, but since you asked: the waterlevel is at an annual high currently. It has been rising steadily over the past week and now stands at 120 cumecs p/s or in other words 120.000 liter/second flows over the edge at the moment.

I check the waterlevel every day now, at 12.00 when new measurements are made by the Department of Water Affairs. Pictures coming soon!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:33 pm 

Wow, can't wait to see those pics, must be quite a sight,wish I could be there to see it.

Post subject: National Park Newbie
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:07 am 

Hi There,
I am planning on a drive through the Augrabies National Park over December. I know it is one of the hottest times of the year but the sightseeing should make it worthwhile. I would like to know a bit more about the park.... Do I need a 4x4 to drive through it or can I use my Corolla? If I decided on taking up the Dassie trail, what type of shoes will be the best? I stay in the big city of Jhb and need to learn a lot about the wild. Any comments are welcome.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:37 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

You can negotiate most of the park in a normal Sedan. The "wilderness part" (Not sure what they call it) is 4x4, but as far as I can remember this is an additional loop taking about 6 hrs only.

I swopped my hiking shoes for running shoes the second time I did the trail. Just ensure that the soles have grips, If your ankles are not that strong I would go the hiking boots route, but I find them very hot and uncomfortable in that climate in summer.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:58 am 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Hi jvrf and Welcome!

You can definitely see most of Augrabies easily in a Corolla, that's what I was driving in September. I don't know anything about the trail, but if GVI Augrabies (Rudolf, the GVI volunteer) doesn't spot your query and reply in a day or two, you might want to send him a PM.

31 Oct-1 Nov Pafuri River Camp
2-15 Nov KNP: Punda Maria, Sirheni, Olifants, Tamboti, Skukuza
16-22 Nov Cape Town
23 Nov-20 Jan Darling

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 16  Next