Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: SHORTCUT FROM NOSSOB TO MATA MATA
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:24 pm 

The upper dune road is not a bad road, if you drive slowly you can actually pick up quite a lot of game hiding in the dunes. We have seen leopard, jackal, badger, cheetah, lion, lots of antelope, and also a good number of birds along this road. People tend to drive quite fast along this route in order to get to the main roads along the river beds, and they miss the beauty of the surrounding dunes and landscape. There are picnic places at both junctions, so you can break up your journey.
I don't know whether you'll be camping, just keep in mind that the track to Bitterpan is for 4x4 vehicles only, and no trailers are allowed. It's a one way track, quite deep sand in places, however if you know how to drive in sand you won't have a problem, even with a "soft" SUV. The only possible problem could be grass in the "middelmannetjie" that may start to smoulder when trapped under the exhaust pipe, so it's advisable to stop every few kilometres and check that there's no potential fire hazard :)

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:02 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

@Lonehill_Birders -- quite agree with you re the dune roads :thumbs_up: I hate it that people tend to speed so much over them :evil:

@DSouter
Quote:
I have tried to book at Bitterpan for the night of the 15/9 but at present there are no bookings - hoping for a cancellation! :cry:

Keep checking for a cancellation -- they do come up !
Maybe you could also try swapping a night (or 2) at TR for a night (or 2) at Bitterpan in this thread : http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32089

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:53 pm 

Hi folks,

Can't wait to experience the solitude and sheer beauty of KTP. We will be going from Nossob to Mata Mata. We always loved the quiet and peace of the bush in our last visits to southern Africa so I think a slow drive through the upper dune road will be heaven after a busy year of work. I'll just have to make sure that we don't take too long and get to Mata Mata with plenty of time before night fall (Late May). Are there loops off the upper dune road that we can take passing water holes or habitats?

31st: Mata Mata.
1st to 3rd of June; Nossob.
4th: TR.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:53 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Relaxevous, there are about 3 waterholes on the upper dune road. You are more likely to see honey badger on the dune roads than the 'river' roads. Look for pale chanting goshawks on trees. They wait for the HB to dig up delicacies for them.

Also you will see oryx, and maybe red hartebeests on the dune roads. I have seen bat eared fox, lion and cheetah on them too. Birds there are fawn coloured lark (lots), kori bustard, and other raptors that feed of the rats & mice that scurry across.

Last edited by Bush Baptist on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:28 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

And look out for steenbok -- always seen far more often on the dune roads.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:37 pm 

Reading all these things makes me too excited for words, and I'm not even 100% sure I'll be coming to KTP yet!!! *crossing everything*

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:57 am 

Can't wait, thanks for the tips. I've never been a die hard twitcher but seeing graceful PCGs perched or Kori Bustards and Secretary birds strutting around is something I could watch all day. :)

31st: Mata Mata.
1st to 3rd of June; Nossob.
4th: TR.

Post subject: The Road between TR and Nossob
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:04 am 

Is the road between Twee Rivieren and Nossob still closed?
Will we be able to do an afternoon drive from TR to Leeudril and back, is that part of the road open? - our first night is at TR, then Kieliekrankie.

4 May Twee Rivieren
5 May Kieliekrankie
6 May KTC
7 May KTC
8 May Nossob
9 May Gharagab
10May Gharagab
11May Kieliekrankie

Post subject: Re: The Road between TR and Nossob
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:29 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

When we went in Dec, the road from TR to Leeudril was definitely open, then at Rooiputs w/h there was a slight detour to Kij Kij and then you could go up to Nossob from there, but I was lead to beleive that the road was quite corrugated at the time.

We did the upper dune road going from TR to Nossob, but it does take a good while.

I am sure that the people at TR will be able to give you an up-to-date report on the situation.

Whichever road you take, may you enjoy it! :dance:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:05 am 
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2012)
Hi LB
What Rookie says is quite correct. Hope to see you in Nossob on the 8th. Look out for a silver Isuzu flying a yellow ribbon :dance: :dance: :P

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684

and

Kalahari Reflections March 2014

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:31 pm 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
We found the road to Mata Mata was worse corugated than the one to Nossob. It depends when it is graded.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:56 pm 

Thanks everyone, we've not been to Leeudril for many years, so when we arrive at TR in the morning, we'd like to take a drive up there, just checking to see whether we'd be able to go that way. We're "old" Kalahari visitors, know the roads quite well, but we didn't manage to get there in 2011, hence the questions.
I'll look out for you, GavinW, we drive a blue HondaCRV, with a Gauteng Registration. Will be staying in a chalet, so please come and say hi! We're birders, so if you see some people sneaking around the campsite with bin's, it'll most probably be us :P
We never go fast, so the bad roads don't really pose a problem for us. One can't bird successfully at 50km/h anyway. While we're there, I do "atlassing" - bird counts - for the Animal Demography Unit, of the University of Western Cape. It's a great way to pass the time when game is scarce and you start getting bored with the quiet roads :D We have found some amazing things along the dune roads, because we never drive fast, things that lots of people miss when they hurry to get to the river bed.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:07 pm 
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Enjoy your trip :thumbs_up: Quite :mrgreen: -- Nov is a long way away :(

Quote:
We have found some amazing things along the dune roads, because we never drive fast, things that lots of people miss when they hurry to get to the river bed.

Quite agree :clap: :clap:

Just be careful at slow speed as you do get the "rush from one riverbed to the other" brigade :sniper: :sniper: and they practically take you out if you're not careful :evil:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:34 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Lonehill_Birders,

The road from Leeuwdril to Kij-Kij did change since our visit in December 2011 and an alternative road is apparently open to drive from Leeuwdril to Rooiputs.

The roadworks started again on the last 16 km from Rooiputs to Kij-Kij, therefore the different route now to Rooiputs from Leeuwdril. You will still be able to take the Botswana road from Rooiputs to Kij-Kij.

On the birding topic you missed a few rare sightings seen in Dec of spoonbill and wooly neck stork and in March some fulvous ducks. Wish you also some specials during your count. :thumbs_up:

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:47 am 

Thanks P@m & Son godin. We'll pull well off the road, so that the :sniper: brigade can pass at speed!
We caused a 9 car traffic jam once - my S O started bird photography, and we saw a Yellow Canary (tiny) in the distance, which he wanted a photo of. We waited, camera pointing out of the window, and my bins against my face..... everybody stopped. We tried to show them our bird book to move them along, but maybe we looked dishonest, because nobody moved, and in the end we had to give up and move along, just to clear the road. We had a good laugh about the incident, especially about the dirty looks we received from some of the people! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 41  Next