Skip to Content

Kgalagadi roads

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld

Moderator: hilda

aidan3333

Re: Kgalagadi roads

Unread postby aidan3333 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:49 pm

Thanks for the interest. It is a 4Motion model which means it does have 4 wheel drive but does not have low range or anything like that. It has about 200mm ground clearance. Fortuner has 220 mm.

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread postby lion queen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:28 pm

Aidan, the times that we have gone to Gharagab, we have never used low range..... :dance: :dance: So that should not be a problem.

We haven't been to Bitterpan so I can't comment on that.

Hope this helps a bit.
SANParks Online Fans..........Where passion is pride!

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

aidan3333

Unread postby aidan3333 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 am

Thank you. If anyone knows the Bitterpan road, let me know.

yvo

Unread postby yvo » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi aidan3333,
When I have gone to Bitterpan, i used low range … but I am a beginner in 4x4 driving.
Be sure some experts will give you advices.
yvo

ROOKIE-LR

What are the Dune Roads?

Unread postby ROOKIE-LR » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Hello all, and apolgies for what could be a silly question.

I am preparing for my first trip to the Kgalagadi, (9 sleeps till my arrival in Twee Rivieren - you might say I am a mite excited about the prospect :dance: ).

When reading trip reports and other posts, mention is made of upper and lower dune roads and I can't quite figure what is being refered to when I look at the map of the park.

Are they the roads that run between Kamqua - Dikbaardskolk (upper) and Auchterlonie - Kij Kij (lower)?

Thanks all
Paul.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: What are the Dune Roads?

Unread postby arks » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:39 pm

ROOKIE-LR wrote:Are they the roads that run between Kamqua - Dikbaardskolk (upper) and Auchterlonie - Kij Kij (lower)?

Yip, that's correct Rookie-LR :) Welcome and have a great trip!
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town

picnic
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby picnic » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:47 pm

ROOKIE-LR enjoy your trip. :thumbs_up:

Munchkin
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Munchkin » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:32 pm

And - they are but gravel roads that are easily traversed........Just keep to your side of the road!
(Munchkin = Our Persian Cat - Sadly Munchie no longer with us.)

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby p@m » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:17 pm

Hello aidan
If anyone knows the Bitterpan road, let me know.

We have driven the Bitterpan road.

Part of the info for the camp reads
It is strictly a 4x4 route, but BIG 4x4’s such as Unimogs (heavy vehicle 4x4) are not allowed.

see : http://www.sanparks.org/parks/kgalagadi/tourism/accommodation.php#wilderness
Another quote
Guests should consider staying at Nossob before their departure for Bitterpan, as it is an approximately 3 hours drive from Nossob along a one-way 4x4 route.

We used low range I think twice on our way from Nossob to Bitterpan, (road was badly "dug out" on some dunes)
should possibly have used it once on the Morevet route as there was a very bad patch where vehicles had obviously got bogged down in wet weather, and we used it on the Bitterpan to Craig Lockhart route -- mainly to pull another vehicle out.

So yes, I do think a 4X4 is necessary for Bitterpan :lol:

ROOKIE-LR

Unread postby ROOKIE-LR » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Hello all.

Thanks for the feed back and kind wishes.
Paul.

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby p@m » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Just an added tip -- just take it easy on the dune roads -- some folk do tend to speed :sniper: :roll:

They are surfaced, not just sand, and are like a roller-coaster ride -- up and over one dune at a time :lol:

The problem is that at the very top of the dune, the road sometimes wears thin and you have a sandy patch which is also a dip. :shock:

Look for steenbok, gemsbok babies, ostrich babies and korhaan and enjoy your trip :thumbs_up:

WWalker

Unread postby WWalker » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:36 pm

aidan3333 wrote:Thanks for the interest. It is a 4Motion model which means it does have 4 wheel drive but does not have low range or anything like that. It has about 200mm ground clearance. Fortuner has 220 mm.

The road in to Gharagab is pretty straightforward. On the way out there a few dunes that might be tricky for someone not accustomed to sand driving.

We went in a vehicle that has the same ground clearance but does have low range - nice insurance!

The answer is: if you know how to drive in sand, you should be ok.

William

DSouter

SHORTCUT FROM NOSSOB TO MATA MATA

Unread postby DSouter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:27 pm

I am going to KTP for the first time in September and booked time at Nossob & Mata Mata (SO loves Giraffes) to get from one to the other I thought you had to drive from Nossob back to TR and then up to Mata Mata which is a long drive and a petrol gussler (V8 Defender).

I see that there is a road via Bitterpan but am led to believe that you have to spend 1 night at Bitterpan in order to use it. Any reason why - with the petrol price it would be very kind if SAN Parks would let it be used to get to Mata Mata as long as you have a booking there.

Anyone fill me in on the proper situation? :lol:

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: SHORTCUT FROM NOSSOB TO MATA MATA

Unread postby p@m » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:59 pm

Hello DSouter
to get from one to the other I thought you had to drive from Nossob back to TR and then up to Mata Mata which is a long drive and a petrol gussler (V8 Defender).

Forunately not :lol: The easiest way from Nossob to MataMata is down to Dikbaardskolk, then over the upper dune road to Kamqua and then to MataMata.

I see that there is a road via Bitterpan but am led to believe that you have to spend 1 night at Bitterpan in order to use it. Any reason why -

Yes -- it is a wilderness camp and the roads to/from wilderness camps (and the camps themselves) are for residents only :lol:

But do yourself a favour and spend a night at Bitterpan -- had a couple of brown hyena sightings there ....

Have a great trip :thumbs_up:

DSouter

Re: SHORTCUT FROM NOSSOB TO MATA MATA

Unread postby DSouter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:07 pm

I have tried to book at Bitterpan for the night of the 15/9 but at present there are no bookings - hoping for a cancellation! :cry:

Return to “Arid Parks”