Skip to content

SANParks.org Forums

View unanswered posts | View active topics

[ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2R restaurants
Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:52 am 

I must say that I continue to be amazed at the lack of fresh veg in that part of the world. We go up and take fresh stuff with us with no probs so I fail to see why the resturant at 2R cannot access it - esp as the road to upington is now tarred.
At worst the park could put up a tunnel and grow stuff - it is really not difficult. That is why I have little time for the cabbage suprise and carrot salad options, it just reflects a lack of imagination.
That said, there is no excuse for poor service. I have worked in the restuarant industry and there is no reason for poor service at all except a lack of interest by management staff.
Anyway, we will be braving the venison pies on our first night - hope my mother in law likes them, otherwise it is back to the cabin for chees and tomato sandwiches.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:52 am 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

@bentony:

Complaining about a restaurant in the desert, a real desert (at least for a European) is funny, somehow ... Talking about "poor service": What do you expect in the desert???

Shaking head in disbelief, walking away

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:12 am 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Eh, Bentony has a very good point.
While it may be hard, or simply to costly or whatever to have fresh produce on the table anyday, service is local.
So a smile, bit of politeness etc can be delivered. And go a looooong way actually, for as you say, it is a desert, far from shops.
So you both have points.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:28 pm 

2 points about the resturant at 2R
1) Yes, it is 250km to Upington but a once week trip should provide enough fresh fruit and veg that will last till the next trip. No reason why they don't do this. Alternativly have a veggie garden - all it would take is to build a couple of beds up, put up a shade cloth tunnel and there you go. Never understood why you don't see more of this in that part of the world. We live in the suburbs and grow 90% of our veggies, not to mention haveing a great deal of fruit from our garden. Sure, it's dry up there, but there are ways and means.
2) There is never an excuse for bad service, not in a desert, a jungle or the burger bar down the road. As the place hardly heaves with people they really should be able to give decent service.
I think what bugs me about the resturant is that I get the impression that the holder of the tender does the bare minimum and does not make an effort. And for me that is a no no.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:33 pm 
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Bentony - I agree tat at least once a week they can get fresh produce up from Upington - the Molopo lodge does not fare too badly, and they are only 60km closer.

I do not think you will successfully grow vegetables with the water they have though.

And finally, there is absolute no excuse for poor service - agree totally with you on your last point.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:11 am 
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Funniest/Best Forumite Name (2013)
FAC Member (2012)
Bentony wrote:
2) There is never an excuse for bad service, not in a desert, a jungle or the burger bar down the road. As the place hardly heaves with people they really should be able to give decent service.

Absolutely. We had good service. Just remember the locals are shy by nature but warm to a bit of humour.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:37 pm 

We ate there twice last August.
The food was very good (ostrich fillet, beef fillet, venison pie) and the service was just a bit slow.

Post subject: Re: Telephone number for Twee Rivieren
Unread postPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:10 pm 
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Park tel: + 27 (0) 54 561 2000
Fax: + 27 (0) 54 561 2005

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Post subject: Twee Rivieren's new Reception now open
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:19 pm 

We arrived back at Twee Rivieren on the 26th to find that the new Reception Office was now open. It was opened that day..I am wondering if I was the first forumite to see it. If so ..what a privilege. There were still many workers around doing last minute finishing touches so I did not take too many photos.

There is now a fence across the road that we have travelled so many times into the park.

The Gemsbok have been moved and I think they looked quite chuffed with their new position...certainly the view is better.

The entrance leading into the Reception

The reception itself.

It really is lovely inside....but what really impressed me were the smiling beaming faces belonging to the staff. They were all very proud of their new surrounds.
My first impression was that it was a bit dark and cold inside but when we checked out the next day it seemed much lighter and warmer. Probably a few teething problems with the lights and air con.
One checks in and out at the new Reception but permits are handled at the old entrance gate. I believe the old Reception is going to become a Information Centre .

Post subject: Re: Twee Rivieren's new Reception now open
Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:41 pm 

WOW...that went fast !
We checked out at Twee Rivieren on the tenth of June and it did not look as if it would be open for quite a while.
Thanks for sharing, Caracal Really impressive !

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:57 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Hi Caracal, happy to see you back ...

Can't say I am delighted with the new thing, seems like there is a lot of concret, I would have loved wood... the old was very fine with me ...

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:16 pm 

Wow very fancy. Looks like a hotel reception. I think that it is important to work in surrounds that one is proud of as it definitely makes one feel good, efficient and proud. I am glad that the old centre will be used for something. Thanks Caracal!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 pm 

all of us who went IN through the old and did not know the NEW coming back to 2R looked surprised to find a closed door. no note no nothing, until a friendly san parks employee pointed us in the direction of the NEW
We asked why they did not put on a note to explain "the move"
The answer was that those people should find out themselves as they should come over that habit. And yes indeed it was very very smart looking inside and smiles allover

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:46 pm 
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

This is a nice new environment and now all the activities takes place in the new building.
That includes the handling of permits. We handed permits in at the old gate one day and they informed us that they would be closing the gate that evening for permits and the rest of the time we handed in and collected it from the new office.

I like the idea that both the customs offices are now in the same building. The Botswana side keeps longer office hours. We were able to do the Botswana side when the SA side was already closed for more than 30 minutes . Also had some problems to attract the attention of the official. The office space is in the back with a partly sand-blasted decorated door between the office and the front desk. This door obscures the view between the office desk and the front desk. Jumping and shouting had no effect . Fortunately the SAPS member on duty assisted and performing got the attention of the customs official. I recommend that they install a bell at the front desk.

I have been through various Botswana border posts. The first thing that you notice is that they are friendly and highly competent in their work. The SA staff can learn a lot from them on how to deal with the public. Most SA staff has this dull expression and you get the impression that they are doing you a big favour.

Post subject: Re: KGALAGADI - Questions and Answers
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:28 am 

We arrive at KTP on the 12 th of October. Unfortunately my Father is not well at the moment and I want to give my Mother some contact numbers in case I needed to be contacted in an emergency.
Is the main reception number the best one to contact at Twee Rivieren given we will be in various of the wilderness camps and they will then be able to get a message to me?
Thank you for any suggestions folk might offer
Simon Ball

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next